iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Monaco Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/)
-   -   Full Body Paint (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/full-body-paint-535856.html)

GDGorsuch 05-07-2021 05:38 PM

Full Body Paint

What does full body paint mean. How else would the coach be painted?

My registration detail does not show. Dwight Gorsuch
Maryland. New to us, 07 Monaco Diplomat 400

windsorbill 05-07-2021 08:42 PM

sometimes the outside is gel coat, not painted, like a boat. Others have decals or painted stripes. Some are exposed metal--think airstream.

Isaac-1 05-07-2021 09:15 PM

As mentioned above many lower to mid range motorhomes are gelcoated fiberglass ,gelcoat is molded in as part of the fiberglass casting process), then swirls, stripes, etc. are added on as vinyl graphics, which may be solid vinyl or may not be printed on vinyl. Typically RV manufacturers use the cheapest grade of vinyl stripe material which will start cracking and fading in just a couple of years.

Full body paint is just what it sounds like, the entire coach is painted with a base coat of automotive grade paint, and then the graphics, highlights, etc. are painted on with automotive grade paint.

BobJones 05-07-2021 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GDGorsuch (Post 5742235)

My motorhome is gelcoat with decals. It's nice but...after 20 years cleaning the decals is a massive job, as is cleaning the gelcoat. I'm doing it now. We are talking weeks and probably longer than a month. Likely 2 months to detail it.

With full-body paint you can do full on cleaning, paint correction, scratch removal and lastly waxing with ease - as compared to gelcoat and decals.

Gelcoat oxidizes and must be ground out with a polisher. In my case, it takes 4 passes with cleaning between each step to get it to brilliant white and full shine.

The vinyl decals absorb dirt. Literally pad after pad after pad of repeated polishing with a high-grit compound to get them clean and remove the water spots. It is nothing short of amazing how black the pads are when working on the decals. And it never seems to stop. But...when you finally get to the end, you see all the metallic particles gleaming and the stripes are much like new. I am not kidding when I say that on one section of decal alone I will use 20 pads with every one of them being black from debris.

I've been doing laundry on those pads every day to get the black out so that I can reuse them.

So...in my mind...full body paint is very easy to correct and repair and polish out. It also comes out perfect very quickly. Gelcoat and decals? Wow, what a lot of work.

I'll be doing a post on it when I've got the main section done. It is shocking. And then some. The difference is hard to even imagine, it has to be seen to be believed. But I envy full body paint.....

Speaking of which, my father told me full-body paint did not come out until later years (ie, unavailable).

Isaac-1 05-07-2021 11:08 PM

I am not sure when full body paint became common with Monaco, all I can tell you is that Safari had full body paint standard prior to the Monaco buyout in 2001, and at least on the Safari Trek be became optional in the base models for the next couple of model years post Monaco buyout before becoming standard again.

William Willard 05-08-2021 12:16 PM

Quote:

Your coach will not have full body paint -- Gelcoat -- Bill Willard

MSHappyCampers 05-08-2021 12:37 PM

Our 2002 Windsor has full-body paint! Most people can't believe it's 19 years old! :dance:

RustyTools 05-08-2021 01:08 PM

Monaco was good about making everything exactly the same but completely different along the line, so who knows. My '06 Endeavor (may it RIP) had full-body paint.

lmcintosh 05-09-2021 04:32 PM

full body paint

My 1994 Dynasty bought new has body paint. Still looks great, I don't know how many coats of clear are used, but rv is still like new, always under cover, when not in use, but go every winter down southwest, for three to four months, now only two to three months, still roaming and boondocking, age catching up to me, now 86, (30') cheers

Fishar 05-10-2021 04:22 AM

Quote:

Here is the brochure for 2007 Monaco Diplomat.
https://library.rvusa.com/brochure/07Diplomat.pdf

In the Body Construction section it says Deluxe Full Body Paint standard.

mlh2013 05-10-2021 09:35 AM

My 02 has full body paint and it still looks great except for visible paint checking on the black areas. i would think your 07 has full body paint.