iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   National RV Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f105/)
-   -   National Tropical 2005 diesel exhaust issue and turbo (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f105/national-tropical-2005-diesel-exhaust-issue-and-turbo-535969.html)

cricket2386 05-08-2021 01:33 PM

National Tropical 2005 diesel exhaust issue and turbo

just a quick note fixed my exhaust when it breaks it melts the ooo ot large cross over wires to the invertor unit they short out can can catch on fire they are located above the 90 degree turn before the muffler. very bad design cought it by accident my turbo was over heating looked in and saw wire melted any one with a 396 with a diesel needs to look at this
i re router the main wires over 12 inches and had to slice them to fix them
this is a major issue so if anyone wants pics or direction they can e mail me
love mu unit but this could have been a disaster

Diesel-Lover 05-10-2021 09:37 AM

RV induistry assemblers of buckets of bolts give RV owners a raison de etre

Cricket 2386: Great catch, think of the danger you avoided as to the fire, loss of power, control etc etc. Not to mention the expenses of a dead RV tow from God knows where and perhaps major costs of a new harness and even control modules, relays and all that sort of stuff. Heck if some of those wires dealt with engine cooling it could "fry" that too!

If ya got pics of the before and after it would be great.

cricket2386 05-13-2021 11:25 AM

2005 national diesel tropical fire issue

3 Attachment(s)
For all that have a 2004 2005 2006 national tropical 396 xx you need to look at this
when national built these they installed the cross over 000 ot wires form the converter to the batteries across over the diesel exhaust the exhaust will rust out due to the sock that is suppose to protest the heat on the pipe from the muffler to the turbo
when it rust through the heat will melt the wires above it they they will hit the frame and short out causing a fire
very bad design
You can reroute them to the lift around the The frame and this will never happen
this happened on mine and i caught it by looking and seeing what was causing my turbo to over heat
the exhaust had broke away and all the heat was staying in the area near the turbo
the wires melted away but thank god i looked before taking it out again

cut the wires reroute them fixed the pipe with new one( made myself canot buy one out of biss) and replaced the rubber mount that also melted on the muffler
any one what to look can e mail me here are some pics
Thanks all

cricket2386 05-13-2021 11:34 AM

3 Attachment(s)
this is my unit
an what one of the 2 wires looked like after i cut it out
ouch
hope this helps others with these units before this happens total loss if it does

by the way the wires are long enough before they get burn to reroute with out doing anything but disconnecting them and moving them to the rights position no need to cut or extend them but you do need to put a seal around the metal hole they go through national didn't do that either they can rub through

Diesel-Lover 05-13-2021 12:24 PM

Cricket, it's a good thing you caught that when you did.

Looks like it was waiting for a countdown to ignition anytime now.

You should send the pics etc to the NTSB as a public service. They should start the process for a formal recall and fix.

cricket2386 05-14-2021 06:03 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the response i hope more people read this that own a national with a diesel cat 7 pusher
if i would have waited 1 day i would have had a total burn up of my unit
here are the final pics of the repair done i also made a custom exhaust pipe and show how to do that for only 75 dollars it is not available any wear
getting to know everything about this unit
is there a better place to put this to get it more viewers to national owners?
Thanks again

Diesel-Lover 05-14-2021 07:16 AM

That is fantastic. Start a new brand and model specific thread and ask if the moderator would like to make it a sticky. Perhaps this issue is faced by all rigs with the same chassis of some year spread? If that is the case it would be better to set it up via the chassis make model... But the brand RV and model + year on the title with CAUTION will get the folks who own one for use.

Congratulations on finding the issue and the fix. One quick Q about the exhaust mod, was there a rubber coating on the inside of that extension, if it had to be removed was it easy to do so?

bigdog 05-20-2021 05:03 PM

I am wondering just as to why National cheaped out and used flex pipe on some of their units. I have a Tradewinds 7390 LTC and the tail pipe runs along the right side of the engine and is flex pipe from the muffler to the tip and bends in a 90 degree angle to come out of the body on the right side. I have to check this all the time as it has burned out twice at the bend. and caused a small fire twice now, one of them resulting in a tow from Quines Creek to Grants Pass. Sure glad I have Good Sam road service. The other one was right across the freeway from a truck stop annd I made it there without any more damage. Both times the techs asked if I had taken the stainless off and I said it had never had it and they couldn't believe that freightliner, or National, had done that.

cricket2386 05-21-2021 07:46 AM

flex pipe on a national unit

I made all my custom pipes on my national the issue is they put the main 3 ot wire form the converter over the exhaust pipe from the one side of the unit to the other
there is a place in the Detroit are i found that carries pipe for semis and i bought 2 90degree 2 45degree cut them up and made a special pipe you see in the pics to match
I cut them up welded them my self added the clamps and the wrap
if i took this in $2500.00 to do it did it for $135.00
go to a semi dealer that carries the aftermarket exhaust they will have a straight pipe for you then you can put a short piece in
they nay have put a flex in due to connecter to the turbo to protect it?
you may still need it do you have a pic?

cricket2386 05-21-2021 07:50 AM

flex pipe on a national unit

i guess i should have asked you have a gasser or diesel?
Cummins or cat 7

wolfe10 05-21-2021 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdog (Post 5759283)
I am wondering just as to why National cheaped out and used flex pipe on some of their units.

That will likely be the Caterpillar 3126 (predecessor to C7).

And there has to be some flex pipe as there is movement between the engine (mounted on motor mounts) and the muffler which is mounted to the chassis.

As to how much flex pipe vs rigid, that is another matter.

bigdog 05-23-2021 10:16 PM

'01 Tradewinds with a 3126b 330 Cat and the flex runs all the way from the muffler to the tip.

cricket2386 05-24-2021 12:30 PM

tropical

yes 2005 nation started using the c7 cat in them mine is a c7
and i do have a flex pipe you can see on my turbo to the exhaust angle pipe and rubber mounts for my muffler for flex the 3126 had a different set up as wofe10 states
thanks

NoSparkPlug 07-19-2021 12:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by cricket2386 (Post 5749933)
For all that have a 2004 2005 2006 national tropical 396 xx you need to look at this
when national built these they installed the cross over 000 ot wires form the converter to the batteries across over the diesel exhaust the exhaust will rust out due to the sock that is suppose to protest the heat on the pipe from the muffler to the turbo
when it rust through the heat will melt the wires above it they they will hit the frame and short out causing a fire
very bad design....

A while back another person posted about this same issue. I have a 2004 T396 and the batteries are located on the right side. No issue with that setup, which I am very glad.