iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Entegra Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/)
-   -   Coach batteries (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/coach-batteries-535995.html)

alancardall 05-08-2021 05:38 PM

Coach batteries

why did my coach batteries go bad on my 2019 cornerstone that i have stored inside since purchasing last year? what's the best ones to buy?

amosnandy 05-08-2021 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alancardall (Post 5743431)
why did my coach batteries go bad on my 2019 cornerstone that i have stored inside since purchasing last year? what's the best ones to buy?

Did you leave them on a charger? Did you disconnect them? Pretty much any RV will have some vampire draw. CO and LP detectors. Sometimes even off the fridge and invertor will have a minor draw. Drawing a battery dead will not necessarily kill a battery, but leaving it dead for 6 months might.

When parked for long periods, you should always disconnect the battery terminals, and if you live in a cold climate get them inside.

You might try using a smart charger on them, that goes through the de-sulfate and charge/discharge cycles. I don't know much about battery chemistry but my kid bought one for around $90 for his shop. He says he has recovered 3 batteries already that read completely failed on an electronic tester after days on a regular charger.

JGilchrist 05-08-2021 05:51 PM

My chassis and house batteries were gone after a year and a half. Most likely due to sitting around when in production then sitting on dealers lot not plugged in. This is quite common unfortunately. Are all your battery disconnects off or are you plugged into shore power while not using your rig? Quite a few members here have used lifeline batteries, more expensive but long term value with the bonus of being manufactured in the USA.

Nowabeachbum 05-08-2021 05:57 PM

Coach batteries

I have a 19 Cornerstone that on Tuesday they are replacing the batteries. The coach has never seen cold weather and was stored in a climate controlled garage.
The best ones to buy are the AGM’s that you can get. Batteries have become scarce!

Kid Gloves 05-08-2021 06:04 PM

Well, if you can swing a 2019 Cornerstone, you can probably drop $3-4K on some lithium batteries without a second thought. They’re tough to kill. Sit for 6 months, get completely discharged, only get partially charged on a regular basis, not a problem. Those things will kill a lead acid battery, even an expensive one.

Battle Born, Victron, Renogy are pricey. I just got the Lion Energy UT1300’s for $700/ea. They get delivered on Monday.

ArtJoyce 05-08-2021 06:13 PM

if you take care and maintaining them. You should get between 5 and 9 years. The key is not to let them discharge below 12.2 volts. There are many ways to do it.

I like disconnecting or switching off the battery. I check them throughout storage. You get use to your batteries. They will lose a fraction of a volt every month. When it hits 12.3V, I connect a good quality charger and charge for 24 hours. Battery storage preference is cold (ideal is around 32F), but don't let it drop below 12.2v or they could freeze. So you dont need to bring them inside.

Some people like to have a battery fully charged and ready to go. This requires a very good charger with temperature compensation. Or you chance beating your batteries to death.

Some people use a batter minder.

There are many solutions.

Persistent 05-08-2021 06:27 PM

How to store lead acid batteries

Good advice above!

Batteries rarely age out. They usually fail due to improper maintenance or due to hundreds of charge discharge cycles.

Yours have not been charged or discharged much and so might be due to maintenance issues.

Always store lead acid batteries fully charged. A full charge means 14 to 18 hours on a high quality, voltage regulated charger. The converter/charger in your RV is probably an excellent charger.

The time required to charge is due to lead acid chemistry. There are no short cuts.

Monitor battery terminal voltage during storage. Experience will tell you how often. Recharge the batteries before terminal voltage drops below 12.4 volts. Recharge takes more than 10 hours. Again, it is the chemistry that limits.

Method 1:
Fully charge and park the RV. Check water level after charging. Charging consumes water.

Voltage will stay above 12.4 volts between 1 and 3 weeks. Fully charge when needed.

Method 2:
Store plugged in to shore power. An excellent RV charger will lower terminal voltage to 13.2 volts and hold until RV is active again. 13.6 volts is OK.

Higher voltage for flooded cell batteries consumes water. Monitor water level periodically. Higher than 13.6 for AGM batteries will probably cause permanent damage.

Method 3:
Fully charge and disconnect the battery bank. Flooded cell batteries in good condition may stay above 12.4 volts for 6 months. AGM batteries may last up to a year.

Monitor terminal voltage periodically and recharge before voltage drops below 12.4 volts. Experience will tell you how long yours can go before needing recharge.

This method requires disconnecting at the battery terminals. Some owners install a disconnect near the battery. Factory delivered "Disconnect" switches do not disconnect everything. Often owners get no more than 2 weeks before needing a full charge using factory delivered disconnects.

In all cases maintain battery terminal voltage above 12.4 volts during storage. Recharge more than 10 hours before voltage reaches 12.4 volts.

Engine start batteries are similar. However, some engines have special disconnect requirements. See vehicle owner's manual for exceptions.

Battery University https://batteryuniversity.com/

How does the Lead Acid Battery Work? https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/...ased_batteries

Charging lead acid batteries https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/...d_acid_battery

AGM https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/..._glass_mat_agm

How to Charge and When to Charge? https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/...o_charge_table

How to Store Batteries https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/...tore_batteries

Summary of Do’s and Don’ts https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/..._battery_table

brobox 05-08-2021 09:05 PM

As you have seen from Entegra owners, the OEM batteries are not the best quality. My 14 did not make it 2 year on the factory batteries. It sat in 33 below zero temperatures waiting 3 weeks to be delivered without being plugged in at Entegra. My 21, also with the lowest quality batteries, sat 3 months during the pandemic shutdown. I doubt they will make it 2 year either.
I know NowaBeachbum personally. He is very RV knowledgeable, stores in perfect conditions and took delivery of his 19 the same day I did on my 19. Both of our coaches left Entegra without sitting and perfect weather. If his batteries died on his 19, it was because of the quality of the OEM batteries, not the care those batteries received. JME

Kid Gloves 05-08-2021 09:57 PM

What brand battery does Entegra put in their high end coaches?

brobox 05-09-2021 04:44 AM

Relion, made in China, which carry a one year warranty.

Kid Gloves 05-09-2021 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brobox (Post 5743822)
Relion, made in China, which carry a one year warranty.

Obviously not lithium, which carry 3-7 year full replacement warranties and a total warranty period of 10 years.

The R4000 Series of AGM batteries carry a 2 year warranty.

The long list of proper storage and maintenance procedures, posted earlier, for lead acid batteries is also a long list of opportunities that can kill a lead acid battery if not followed. LA/AGM batteries can be murdered at just a few months of age, or they may last 5 years or more if properly maintained.

Converting to lithium, while costly upfront, virtually eliminates the cost and inconvenience of replacing flooded batteries every few years. If you buy a new coach every 2-3 years, just move them to the new coach.

An AGM charging protocol is typically suitable for Lithium, if the inverter/charger does not have a specific Lithium charging protocol. And some measure may need to be taken to protect the alternator, such as a battery isolator or DC/DC charger, if the alternator charges the house batteries while driving.

757driver 05-09-2021 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kid Gloves (Post 5744077)
Obviously not lithium, which carry 3-7 year full replacement warranties and a total warranty period of 10 years.

The R4000 Series of AGM batteries carry a 2 year warranty.

The long list of proper storage and maintenance procedures, posted earlier, for lead acid batteries is also a long list of opportunities that can kill a lead acid battery if not followed. LA/AGM batteries can be murdered at just a few months of age, or they may last 5 years or more if properly maintained.

Converting to lithium, while costly upfront, virtually eliminates the cost and inconvenience of replacing flooded batteries every few years. If you buy a new coach every 2-3 years, just move them to the new coach.

An AGM charging protocol is typically suitable for Lithium, if the inverter/charger does not have a specific Lithium charging protocol. And some measure may need to be taken to protect the alternator, such as a battery isolator or DC/DC charger, if the alternator charges the house batteries while driving.

While installing lithium on an Entegra coach may seem straight forward and simple it is anything but, especially with the limitations of Vegatouch when it comes to programming the inverter(s). There is so much more involved with proper care of lithium batteries than just selecting an AGM charge profile.

brobox 05-09-2021 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kid Gloves (Post 5744077)

I can say from experience that Entegra puts in AGM batteries from the lowest bidder. If a coach sits at the factory due to weather, waiting for parts, or plant shut downs, the coaches are parked on a holding lot and not plugged in. The batteries can have the best care while in storage after the owner receives it, but the damage done prior to, they have no control over. JME.
After my coach sat for 3 months with the pandemic shutdown, I have already allowed for short life of the batteries.

The only coach that I am aware of with factory installed lithiums has been Newmar. I was told by a dealer, a lot of problem with the setup. But I have no personal experience.

Kid Gloves 05-09-2021 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 757driver (Post 5744280)
While installing lithium on an Entegra coach may seem straight forward and simple it is anything but, especially with the limitations of Vegatouch when it comes to programming the inverter(s). There is so much more involved with proper care of lithium batteries than just selecting an AGM charge profile.

I did not suggest that it was a plug and play operation.

I’m not familiar with the limitations of Vegatouch or your inverters. I do see from your signature that a lithium installation is possible in an Entegra.

Did you install lithium to avoid the AGM headaches?