iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Entegra Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/)
-   -   Coach batteries (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/coach-batteries-535995.html)

2cyber71 05-09-2021 11:36 AM

When I replaced my old 2007 Ellipse's batteries I bought Freightliner sealed batterys in June 2014, they were still good March 2020 when I traded it in. I kept it plugged in 24/7 next my house and shut off the chassis batteries. Once a month I would go out and turn on the chassis to charge them for a day.
I think they are Alliance Batteries, they cost a few $$ more than the rest but I only did one replacement in 13 yrs. Worth the up charge from Freightliner.

Kid Gloves 05-09-2021 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brobox (Post 5744307)
I can say from experience that Entegra puts in AGM batteries from the lowest bidder. If a coach sits at the factory due to weather, waiting for parts, or plant shut downs, the coaches are parked on a holding lot and not plugged in. The batteries can have the best care while in storage after the owner receives it, but the damage done prior to, they have no control over. JME.
After my coach sat for 3 months with the pandemic shutdown, I have already allowed for short life of the batteries.

The only coach that I am aware of with factory installed lithiums has been Newmar. I was told by a dealer, a lot of problem with the setup. But I have no personal experience.

They may be doing you a favor by installing the lowest cost AGM, since they seem to be killing them prior to delivery. They could just as easily kill a more expensive AGM by following their current practices.

The cost of Lithium can be a tough pill to swallow. I resisted for several years, thinking the GC2ís would be just fine. It only takes one or two, less than ideal, conditions to damage them. Then capacity is reduced, and soon theyíll be useless. I considered getting 6 or 8, $300 AGMís, but that starts approaching the same price as 4 lithium batteries, which provide the same capacity.

Itís worry considering, and keeping it plugged in 24/7 will be one less thing to worry about.

buddy110 05-09-2021 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brobox (Post 5744307)
I can say from experience that Entegra puts in AGM batteries from the lowest bidder. If a coach sits at the factory due to weather, waiting for parts, or plant shut downs, the coaches are parked on a holding lot and not plugged in. The batteries can have the best care while in storage after the owner receives it, but the damage done prior to, they have no control over. JME.
After my coach sat for 3 months with the pandemic shutdown, I have already allowed for short life of the batteries.

The only coach that I am aware of with factory installed lithiums has been Newmar. I was told by a dealer, a lot of problem with the setup. But I have no personal experience.

I think Tiffin offers them as an option. My understanding is the Lithium and Vega touch don't like each other.

757driver 05-09-2021 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kid Gloves (Post 5744322)
I did not suggest that it was a plug and play operation.

Iím not familiar with the limitations of Vegatouch or your inverters. I do see from your signature that a lithium installation is possible in an Entegra.

Did you install lithium to avoid the AGM headaches?

No, you did not suggest plug and play but I donít want other Entegra coach owners thinking that it might be plug and play.

The Magnum inverters do just fine when it comes to properly charging and maintaining lithium batteries but when it comes to the interface with the Vegatouch panel about 90% of the programming and settings of a Magnum inverter was left out.

Yes lithium is very doable but then again I donít have the Vegatouch to worry about on an older coach.

The AGMís were never much of a headache for me I installed lithium for a variety of other reasons.

Dr. Mike 05-12-2021 06:08 AM

The Magnum inverters do just fine when it comes to properly charging and maintaining lithium batteries but when it comes to the interface with the Vegatouch panel about 90% of the programming and settings of a Magnum inverter was left out.

Yes lithium is very doable but then again I donít have the Vegatouch to worry about on an older coach.

The AGMís were never much of a headache for me I installed lithium for a variety of other reasons.

This brings up a good point- what is required to have lithium batteries on an older coach (2014)?

757driver 05-16-2021 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Mike (Post 5748305)

This brings up a good point- what is required to have lithium batteries on an older coach (2014)?

Enclose the compartment they are in from heat and cold or move the batteries to the inside of the basement (what I did).

Install a battery monitor to be able to determine their SOC.

Reprogram the inverters to the proper charge profile depending on the brand of lithium batteries.

Be aware that generator auto start becomes basically non-existent.

No alternator charging while driving unless a lithium BIM is installed or a DC to DC charger.