iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   Any experience with battery recombination caps? (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/any-experience-with-battery-recombination-caps-536105.html)

gnvrvin 05-09-2021 12:07 PM

Any experience with battery recombination caps?

After recently neglecting my batteries I started to look into automatic watering systems and stumbled across these.

https://www.flowsystemsusa.com/batte...oCxTsQAvD_BwE#

Has anyone used these or another manufacturer? Seems price is in line with an automatic watering system.

Thanks for any feedback,
greg

Steve-W 05-09-2021 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gnvrvin (Post 5744370)
After recently neglecting my batteries I started to look into automatic watering systems and stumbled across these.

https://www.flowsystemsusa.com/batte...oCxTsQAvD_BwE#

Has anyone used these or another manufacturer? Seems price is in line with an automatic watering system.

Thanks for any feedback,
greg

Interesting concept. The following statement on the mfg. page seems to eliminate it’s use in a motorhome.

“LIMITED MOVEMENT: Batteries must remain relatively stationary, not designed for overtly rough or bumpy mobile applications”

gnvrvin 05-09-2021 01:23 PM

Good catch Steve
But in the application area they list "RV and Marine Applications" mmmm?

Steve-W 05-09-2021 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gnvrvin (Post 5744438)
Good catch Steve
But in the application area they list "RV and Marine Applications" mmmm?

They must drive different roads than I do!:rofl:

Jthigh 05-09-2021 03:03 PM

You might want to check out the “Flow Rite RV2000 Pro Fill” or similar product on Amazon. I don’t have it but talked to I guy at the campground the other day and he loves it. He can’t access his batteries unless he disconnects most of the cables. He can fill his in just a few minutes. System stays plumbed in all the time just have to attached hand bulb pump to fill.

Dutch Star Don 05-09-2021 03:46 PM

I tried some similar caps back in 2007. I also added mineral oil to the batteries. It reduced the acid by a little, but not worth he effort. The only way to go are the battery watering systems. A couple pumps of the filler bulb and the batteries are full. The battery watering systems pretty much eliminate acid issues.

They're pricey, but will be one of those things you find well WORTH the money.

phnguyk1 05-09-2021 05:32 PM

Upgrading your charging system is the best thing you can do for house batteries. Upgrade your converter, or even go as far as installing a separate "bank" charger.

gnvrvin 05-09-2021 06:24 PM

I believe the Xantrex charger is doing is duty correctly.
Bulk charge, absorption, and float voltages are where they should be. I have monitored them
My issue was being in a hot climate for almost 8 months...some of that in storage in the greater phoenix area.
I did not pay attention enough to water levels in batteries.

Going to start a separate thread on automatic watering systems.

This one was asking if anyone had recent experience with the recombination caps that are available.

So far no recent experience

Bit do appreciate all the feed back :thumb:
greg

vanmark 05-09-2021 08:21 PM

I have used Hydro Caps for 20 years on a boat. The batteries are L-16 and the caps do reduce the water that is used. I still would add water about once per year. Yes they work

Guzzimark 05-09-2021 08:25 PM

I can't get at the battery caps on my Tiffin and was trying to figure out how I should redo the cabling so the caps would be accessible. The watering system and the catalytic caps both sound like good alternatives.

gnvrvin 05-10-2021 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vanmark (Post 5745097)
I have used Hydro Caps for 20 years on a boat. The batteries are L-16 and the caps do reduce the water that is used. I still would add water about once per year. Yes they work

Have you used them on a motorhome?

A boat can be rougher..... having a time figuring out what they mean by bumpy and rough...have an email into them for clarification

153stars 05-10-2021 01:45 AM

They make the watermiser caps ,it's those with catalyst part on top do a search here for watermiser caps and google for reviews .

RandDescape 05-10-2021 05:29 AM

Like Don I am a believer in the Flo-Rite system by Pro-Fill.

Put them on both my ‘15 Canyon Star and my ‘19 Ventana.

Mount them once and it literally makes the monthly watering cycle a 5min task. 3 of those minutes are walking to get / put away the distilled water.

I have 8 six-volt batteries on the DP run in 2 watering banks of 4.

On the gasser I had 2 twelve-volt batteries in a single watering bank. I also separately had the chassis 12v battery on a watering system.

- Richard

Mark_K5LXP 05-10-2021 06:44 AM

Where the recombinant caps come in handy is for banks of batteries that may not get regular attention, like a backup battery at a remote location. The catalyst they use is consumed, so they don't last forever and lifespan dependent on how much the batteries are driven to gassing. Maybe a bit cheaper than AGM's in return for reduced maintenance. The caps are kind of large so may not fit all battery bays.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM