iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Toads and Motorhome Related Towing (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/)
-   -   '21 Grand Cherokee - No Steering After Flat Tow (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/21-grand-cherokee-no-steering-after-flat-tow-536177.html)

markpj23 05-09-2021 07:53 PM

'21 Grand Cherokee - No Steering After Flat Tow

So today I towed our GC for about 5 hours. I DO have the flat tow harness installed, flipped the switch and installed the fuse in the harness as specified before we left.

At the end of the trip we stopped to unhook the tow and have the wife follow me in to the space for the night - car ran fine except it WOULD NOT STEER. Or at least, not steer normally. Wheel was very hard to turn, just like a conventional power steering setup that had lost a drive belt.

I was able to manhandle it the few hundred feet into our parking spot and shut it down. I suspected that this was some kind of hydro-lock situation, so I let it sit for about an hour. Started it up and now everything works just fine again!

Anyone have similar issues or know of a fix for this? I'm about to just forget using the tow harness switch and risk the 'death wobble.'

2cyber71 05-09-2021 08:02 PM

Oh man, I’m sorry to read this.
That’s why I am not buying a GC.
Keeping my 17 yr Liberty until it dies, pulled it over 100,000 miles trouble free

the sights 05-10-2021 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markpj23 (Post 5745062)
So today I towed our GC for about 5 hours. I DO have the flat tow harness installed, flipped the switch and installed the fuse in the harness as specified before we left.

At the end of the trip we stopped to unhook the tow and have the wife follow me in to the space for the night - car ran fine except it WOULD NOT STEER. Or at least, not steer normally. Wheel was very hard to turn, just like a conventional power steering setup that had lost a drive belt.

I was able to manhandle it the few hundred feet into our parking spot and shut it down. I suspected that this was some kind of hydro-lock situation, so I let it sit for about an hour. Started it up and now everything works just fine again!

Anyone have similar issues or know of a fix for this? I'm about to just forget using the tow harness switch and risk the 'death wobble.'

We just got a 2021 GC as her daily driver and toad. The more I read the best toad (Jeep GC) is the worst what gives when I call dealers and ask about the kit I hear crap from a to z like we can fix the death wobble with a steering stabilizer, or they think the kit is for toad lights. Jeep made the kit but no dealers know anything about it. Does anyone know of a dealer in the Phila. PA. area that has installed the kit thanks, Joe

the sights 05-10-2021 07:00 PM

Mark, I sent you a P/M

sedaliaterry 05-10-2021 07:03 PM

When you flipped the switch and installed the fuse (as well as doing the transfer case neutral process) you should have been able to turn the steering wheel with 1 finger. This is with the engine off and everything setup for tow. If you cannot one finger it, then something is not right.

Additionally in the case of my 2017 Cherokee, I added an RVI battery charger (fed from RV charge line) to keep the battery up since the EPS being on uses power. You run the battery down, EPS stops working.

Sorry to hear about the issues. Hopefully you can get it straightened out. If you do, the last step/test before you tow is the one finger check. Good luck

Isaac-1 05-10-2021 08:50 PM

I have read about this no power steering afterward problem before, I forget the exact fix, but it has something to do with waiting a minute to let the computer go to sleep (dash display to go black) before flipping the switch, or turning the key on.

markpj23 05-11-2021 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sedaliaterry (Post 5746443)
When you flipped the switch and installed the fuse (as well as doing the transfer case neutral process) you should have been able to turn the steering wheel with 1 finger. This is with the engine off and everything setup for tow. If you cannot one finger it, then something is not right...

Will give this a try.

markpj23 05-11-2021 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isaac-1 (Post 5746583)
I have read about this no power steering afterward problem before, I forget the exact fix, but it has something to do with waiting a minute to let the computer go to sleep (dash display to go black) before flipping the switch, or turning the key on.

The instructions say that if you turn the key ON with the switch also on, you will get a Check Engine light and error code that takes several cycles to go away. Have not had an error code / CE light issue thus far.

I'll try waiting until the dash goes 'off' before flipping the switch and see if it makes a difference. Thanks!

Isaac-1 05-11-2021 06:50 AM

What I read had to do with the power steering not working issue, but I did not pay too much attention as we have a Cherokee, not a Grand Cherokee which are surprisingly different under the hood.

the sights 05-11-2021 07:19 AM

I need some help. We have a 2021 GC in the owners manual it says nothing about removing a fuse.

I think blue-ox had a fuse bypass switch for older models but is it needed with a 2021 GC along with the EPS kit? I will have a charge line from motorhome does this eliminate the need to pull the fuse that my owners manual says nothing about.

Why is this hard? Someone out there knows how to tow this as many are behind motorhomes.

markpj23 05-12-2021 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the sights (Post 5746983)
I need some help. We have a 2021 GC in the owners manual it says nothing about removing a fuse.....

The fuse I refer to is only found in the flat tow wiring harness that the factory engineers developed to stop the 'front wheel death wobble' experienced by some when flat towing the newer Jeep models that have electric power steering. You are correct that the owners manual says nothing about removing a fuse.

Check out the last few pages of the 'Jeep Grand Cherokee Death Wobble' thread for more info.

markpj23 05-13-2021 02:41 PM

Problem Solved!

Thanks to a thread on the North American Grand Cherokee Association (NAGC) forum...
https://www.nagca.com/threads/steeri...-towing.72560/

"Once the transfer case is re-engaged and in gear, and the vehicle is turned off, power is still showing on the transmission lights by the shifter for a time. This tells the EPS to not engage steering assist (EPS thinks the transfer case is still in neutral).

If on the "radio" head unit, under key off options, key off power delay and headlights off delay are enabled, add that time to key off (unless you open door to kill the delay time). In addition another 15 to 30 seconds of key off still required before lights on transmission display are off.

By setting the head unit key off options, key off power delay and headlight off power delay, to zero seconds, then 15 to 30 seconds of key off is enough time for the lights on the trans display to go out. At that point restarting the vehicle, EPS power steering works correctly.

So it is a timing issue of how long the Jeep must have no power before EPS steering assist works again.

Multiple restarts do not work to reset the EPS unless the total time off is met first (on one event).

When you re-engage the transfer case into gear, you must turn off the Jeep until the lights by the transfer case go entirely out. At that time the steering will return to normal..."

Tried this and it works every time. Short version recap:
- under Settings, Key Off Options: set both the radio and headlight delay times to zero
- after re-engaging the transfer case, turn the key OFF until the lights next to the shifter go completely dark. This means both the Yellow gear indicator light AND the Light Blue shift position background light.

Voila!

Isaac-1 05-13-2021 10:42 PM

That is what I read, glad you found it.

deblas 05-14-2021 09:18 AM

'21 Grand Cherokee - No Steering After Flat Tow

Quote:

Originally Posted by markpj23 (Post 5750124)
Thanks to a thread on the North American Grand Cherokee Association (NAGC) forum...
https://www.nagca.com/threads/steeri...-towing.72560/

"Once the transfer case is re-engaged and in gear, and the vehicle is turned off, power is still showing on the transmission lights by the shifter for a time. This tells the EPS to not engage steering assist (EPS thinks the transfer case is still in neutral).

If on the "radio" head unit, under key off options, key off power delay and headlights off delay are enabled, add that time to key off (unless you open door to kill the delay time). In addition another 15 to 30 seconds of key off still required before lights on transmission display are off.

By setting the head unit key off options, key off power delay and headlight off power delay, to zero seconds, then 15 to 30 seconds of key off is enough time for the lights on the trans display to go out. At that point restarting the vehicle, EPS power steering works correctly.

So it is a timing issue of how long the Jeep must have no power before EPS steering assist works again.

Multiple restarts do not work to reset the EPS unless the total time off is met first (on one event).

When you re-engage the transfer case into gear, you must turn off the Jeep until the lights by the transfer case go entirely out. At that time the steering will return to normal..."

Tried this and it works every time. Short version recap:
- under Settings, Key Off Options: set both the radio and headlight delay times to zero
- after re-engaging the transfer case, turn the key OFF until the lights next to the shifter go completely dark. This means both the Yellow gear indicator light AND the Light Blue shift position background light.

Voila!

When we were buying our 21 GC, I was aware of this issue when taking the transfer case out of neutral. You should have seen the salesmanís face when the steering no longer was functional.... priceless!!

Essentially, I learned from this forum, I will take the transfer case out of neutral before disconnecting the tow bar from the mh. This will allow the vehicle time to reset before I get in to drive away. Very helpful!!