iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Toads and Motorhome Related Towing (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/)
-   -   2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/2019-jeep-wrangler-unlimited-sahara-536335.html)

jethead007 05-10-2021 09:34 PM

2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

Hello. This flat towing is all new to me. We are considering buying a 2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara? It has the turbo 4 cylinder turbo with e torque. A blue ox baseplate and brake light wiring are already installed. No braking system.

Opinions / pros / cons

Pulling behind a 2015 Coachmen Pursuit 31BD

Thanks.

Mr_D 05-10-2021 09:50 PM

Should be no problem other than you need to get a braking system to be legal in all states as you travel.

MRichaud 05-11-2021 05:52 AM

We pull an '18 Wrangler JLU behind a similar coach, a Jayco Precept 31UL - same basically as your Coachmen. No real issues - pulls as expected.

For braking, I use the Roadmaster Invisibrake, installed by me. Works great, and besides making everything legal, its true value is peace of mind and aiding stopping capability of the rig.

twojayhawks 05-11-2021 07:55 AM

I'd say you hit the jackpot finding one with a base plate & wiring. You might consider getting a ReadyBrute tow bar & utilizing the built in aux brake & you are off to the races. I've been towing a 21 with the 2.0L & really like it. I like it as a daily driver as well as a easy to tow toad.

CWSWine 05-15-2021 09:02 AM

Just because it has a BlueOx base plate doesn't mean you have to have a BlueOx tow bar. Before you buy you might want to do a google search with something like "Blue Ox Tow Bar Failures" and other brands also. I had a BlueOx base plate and switched to Roadmaster Nighthawk with Blue Ox base plate adapters.

GolfingRVer 05-16-2021 05:29 PM

I have a question regarding a Jeep Wrangler too. From what I have read, you can flat tow an manual and automatic transmission. Is this true, if so is one better than another? We have placed our order on a C-Class and in the market for a toad. Most everything I see, the Jeep Wrangler is the best. Any information or suggestions would be appreciated.

Nildecaf 05-16-2021 05:58 PM

We full time tow a 2014 jeep wrangler automatic. No problems. Simple hookup & disconnect. Jeep manual has simple checklist steps to connect and disconnect that I use every time just to be sure I get it right. Manual has steps for both automatic and manual transmissions.
We installed an Air Force One breaking system, but that only works if your coach has air brakes. We also installed a Roadmaster battery disconnect with the switch on the dash so we didn't have to deal with power from the coach to prevent the batteries from running down or deal with disconnecting the battery cable.

El Chapo 05-16-2021 08:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Manual or automatic, Wranglers (and now Gladiators, I tow both) are the easiest vehicles to setup and use for towing. Jeeps don't need baseplate if you get the rightsteel bumpers, or use the OEM Rubicon steel bumper like my JT with Maximus 3 tow loops. See photoAttachment 328526

77Travco 05-19-2021 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jethead007 (Post 5746635)
Hello. This flat towing is all new to me. We are considering buying a 2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara? It has the turbo 4 cylinder turbo with e torque. A blue ox baseplate and brake light wiring are already installed. No braking system.

Opinions / pros / cons

Pulling behind a 2015 Coachmen Pursuit 31BD

Thanks.

You'll be fine. I pull a 16' JKU behind my 22K lb F53 chassis gasser. I don't use a brake system and don't plan to install one. If I ever get asked in another state, I'll just nod and say sure. YMMV ... Safe travels.

beckeda 05-20-2021 05:11 PM

I have a 2020 Sahara with that same engine and Blue Ox tow bar and base plate. I have a Patriot II brake system. Tows great. The only issue I have is getting the vehicle back to normal driving conditions after detaching from motorhome. Getting the transfer case from N to 2H has been tough lately. Some have said to wait a minute...or let the vehicle roll a little bit...I have determined that I can pull straight back to 4L and drive a couple feet...then switch it to 2H. I also need to be a fairly level pavement when detaching the Jeep from the towbar.

Craig1960 05-20-2021 10:04 PM

I have a 2015 Rubicon JK with an aluminum aftermarket bumper that my Blue Ox towbar hooks up to and love how easy it is to pull and hook up. I use the brake buddy for my braking system.