iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   Shower drain leaking on 2005 Tiffin Allegro Open Road (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/shower-drain-leaking-on-2005-tiffin-allegro-open-road-536412.html)

carlmpv 05-11-2021 11:03 AM

Shower drain leaking on 2005 Tiffin Allegro Open Road

4 Attachment(s)
First of all let me start by saying that this is the best forum for RV/ Motorhome owners I have seen so far, people are so great and willing to help. Now my issue.
I have a 2005 Tiffin Allegro and on just noticed a wet cargo compartment. After carefully examination of the area I found out the shower drain is leaking but I don't see how to access the area to fix it. I attached some pics maybe someone here already went to the pain of figuring out how to access and repair the shower drain.
Do I have to remove one of the body panels to access?

Thank you for the time and replies.

Leonandlisa 05-11-2021 11:56 AM

So not familiar with your unit, but by the looks of the pictures that may be your access location, that is more room to work than my 04 Coachman had on the shower drain. Mine had a swivel nut attached to the drain body, that swivel portion had a crack and I had to replace the trap and everything to fix it. You may need a mirror or camera to determine if it is the shower drain body, the swivel adapter, or the nut on the trap that is leaking.

carlmpv 05-11-2021 02:00 PM

Thanks for the reply, wow you have less access? I didn't think about the mirror idea to see where exactly is it leaking from, but even if I figure out we're is it leaking from, the access would be terrible.

Leonandlisa 05-11-2021 04:37 PM

Mine has a 6x6 access from the side, but favoring the back of the wall so couldnít see my drain directly. I had to use a mirror to figure out the leak and then everything had to be done with one hand since both arms couldnít fit in back about 2í. It was miserable. Only other option was to pull the fridge on the other side and cut another hole there for access so someone else could reach in to hold parts. Below was the rear tire, so no access from there.

These werenít designed to be worked on easily.

Leonandlisa 05-11-2021 04:39 PM

Those gas lines are all flexible, for easier access just shut off the propane and disconnect them to get them out of the way while you diagnose and fix. Soap test after complete to make sure nothing is leaking.

Good luck with the repair, let us know what you find.

rssnape 05-11-2021 05:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
In a home the most likely source of the leak is the seal between the drain and the inside of the tub. Since you canít typically get to the bottom of the drain in your home the drain threads out. A drain tool is used to thread it out. Plumbers putty or a gasket replacing what was leaking and let it cure (putty).

Attachment 327999Attachment 328002

carlmpv 05-12-2021 06:45 AM

Thanks for all the replies, I'll try the mirror idea plus removing the gas lines to see if I get access. I'll do it next Monday when I'm off from work since it looks like is going to be a long process. I'll keep you all posted.