iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Newmar Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/)
-   -   Level before slide or slide before level? (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/level-before-slide-or-slide-before-level-536459.html)

Busskipper 05-18-2021 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krpowers54 (Post 5747596)
Hello all. A lot of firsts for me this year - Retired, purchased 2020 Dutch Star 4081 and 1st post to irv2.

In previous mh, I always leveled prior to putting slides out. In the DS owner's manual, they say to do just the opposite. I'm trying to look at this logically. It seems to me that there would be a lot less stress on slide-out mechanisms if they are extended/retracted when level. I think of retracting old style awnings. If the rv isn't level, it seems to favor one side or another and doesn't mesh evenly with the support bars.

On the other hand, I realize that leveling after slide-outs are extended would make for a more level final product. However, I'm more inclined to lean on less stress than the bubble being a little off-center.

Any thoughts? Thanks much!
Ken

JMHO - the guy who made the Coach might just Know the Coach - So I'd tend to follow his advise, but that's just Me.

This is a long time debate - the reality is if the frame does not get torqued then either will work - I will guess if you have followed Newmar you will learn that they have more to the slide out going out than just the pre level or after level - something about checking clearance around the slide out space, if I recall.

Anyhow, I'd follow the advice in the Manual, just seems smart.

Best of Luck and Welcome to the Forum,

Dav L 05-18-2021 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fottip (Post 5755873)
I would rather extend/retract my slides when the RV "house" (structure above the frame) is **level**. Why? Simply because the slides move in and out of the "house", not the frame.

And when is one level and the other not?
They are welded in many points together. They are a unit.
When the frame is level, so is the "house".

dsisemore1 05-18-2021 07:28 AM

Slides

Funny story, sometimes common sense should be used. We have slides on one side of the coach. Following the owners manual we would level and then put the slides out. It seemed as though with all the weight on one side of the coach it would cause it to be off a little. While at the service center I asked the tech about it. He asked if I hit the auto level after the slides are out to adjust a little. As soon as he said it I kinda had a DUH moment - now we level - put slides out and relevel.

wolfe10 05-18-2021 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by southernlady (Post 5747622)
What does your manual say?

ONLY CORRECT ANSWER!

Do what YOUR coach maker calls for, not what someone else's coach maker calls for!!!

1543Oakhurst 05-18-2021 03:57 PM

2016 Newmar D.S.4018, Level first then bring out the two passenger slides first and then the drivers side wall slide.

roblaura 05-19-2021 01:20 PM

You may have to call the manufacturer and ask what their logic is for slides first. I am with you - level first. The reason is that slides can easily bind or otherwise get out of sync if the coach frame is not reasonably level and straight. We try to find reasonably flat camp sites, but that is not always possible. I don't want our slides out when the coach moves and twists to level itself. Knock on wood and being careful, in about 80k miles of RVing, we have never had a slide problem. Of course, can't say that about other coach systems - grin.

Dan-DS 05-20-2021 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roblaura (Post 5757636)
You may have to call the manufacturer and ask what their logic is for slides first. I am with you - level first. The reason is that slides can easily bind or otherwise get out of sync if the coach frame is not reasonably level and straight. We try to find reasonably flat camp sites, but that is not always possible. I don't want our slides out when the coach moves and twists to level itself. Knock on wood and being careful, in about 80k miles of RVing, we have never had a slide problem. Of course, can't say that about other coach systems - grin.

As it was explained to me and made a lot of sense, it has less to do with being level than the frame being square. The air suspension will maintain the frame much more square than the levelers do. They went to this procedure once they went to whole wall slide.