iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Vintage RV's (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f65/)
-   -   Window Seals (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f65/window-seals-536670.html)

Tidy Tabby 05-13-2021 08:35 AM

Window Seals

Like a lot of your rigs, the window seals on my 84 Champion have shrunk. Iím not referring to the butyl gasket behind the flange of the frame itself but the actual rubber gasket compressing the glass to the face of the aluminum frame. After pressure washing it a couple weekends ago I noticed that water was leaking around the glass in several areas. What I can find through both Google and Amazon searches is the right profile but only one size, and I have 2 different sizes based on whether glass is fixed or part of the slider.
I saw a couple places online will send samples before ordering to ensure proper fit.

Anyone have a good source for multiple sizes?

Diesel-Lover 05-13-2021 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tidy Tabby (Post 5749729)
Like a lot of your rigs, the window seals on my 84 Champion have shrunk. I’m not referring to the butyl gasket behind the flange of the frame itself but the actual rubber gasket compressing the glass to the face of the aluminum frame. After pressure washing it a couple weekends ago I noticed that water was leaking around the glass in several areas. What I can find through both Google and Amazon searches is the right profile but only one size, and I have 2 different sizes based on whether glass is fixed or part of the slider.
I saw a couple places online will send samples before ordering to ensure proper fit.

Anyone have a good source for multiple sizes?

I believe you are talking about the "slider and fixed part" the rim around the glass... that can most likely be sourced as in the gasket material by the roll by a window repair outfit or by you with some gumshoe work. BTW if those seals are leaky mind the seal of the frame to the wall as well. Once that leaks delamination follows which is a huge headache. In other words if you take a close look at that seal surrounding your window frame to wall and see it starting to go, might as well replace the whole window. In the days of old our local ACE hardware store replaced a broken window glass for us from an RV window slider, had to redo the emergency window glass as well as the kids and their friends were having field days of creative activities that weekend

Here is a site that sells windows of various sizes, perhaps they have your particular sizes.

https://www.recpro.com/rv-windows/

Best of luck and keep safe. Those pressure washers can be down right destructive based on how used... they can strip finish off as well as caulking and such. Lent the rig to a friend who on the way back went to truck wash to return a clean exterior.... what a pain the repairs were.

RV2009 05-13-2021 11:42 AM

One can only hope you did not pressure wash around the window frame ...:rolleyes:

I don't remember which company we used, but we ordered 3 different samples which all looked like what we needed, even matched the dimensions (we took out our rear window/frame and measured everything).

None of them fit properly. One was close but would bulge when going around the corner.

So we put the old seal back in and keep using silicone to fill any gaps.

A shocker: when we removed the seal, the window actually wanted to come right out! Wouldn't you believe it, the only thing that holds the window in the frame is the glue between the glass and the frame, and the rubber seal on top of it.

Needless to say we bought proper sealant, glued the window back in the frame and then the rubber seal on it, and into the frame.

Stopped at General RV a couple weeks ago, mechanic there said that pretty much every windows manufacturer used their own 'style' of seal, it would be better just to buy a new window, complete.

Good luck though! We have been using sealant to fill gaps for over a decade now, and so far had no leaks no more.

Tidy Tabby 05-13-2021 12:01 PM

There were extant leaks around the windows with the resultant damage to the interior when we got this rig although I was as gentle as possible with the pressure washer when I was spraying near the windows. However as we are about to start removal of the damaged furnishings and paneling inside I figured the time is coming to reseal these windows and should have my materials beforehand. Yes we are planning to remove the window assemblies and reseal them entirely. I wouldn’t be surprised if we found some rust in the steel wall framing around these windows as well so the seals will be just one small part of a much larger pie.

Tidy Tabby 05-13-2021 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diesel-Lover (Post 5749771)
Here is a site that sells windows of various sizes, perhaps they have your particular sizes.
https://www.recpro.com/rv-windows/

Man looking at that does make me want to just entirely replace the original windows, or even upgrade to more modern frameless types. Maybe one day.

RV2009 05-18-2021 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tidy Tabby (Post 5749984)
Man looking at that does make me want to just entirely replace the original windows, or even upgrade to more modern frameless types. Maybe one day.

I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

This is what I wanted to do. Why bother with all the stuff, just get a new window. I was ready for it.

HOWEVER: According to the parts person at General RV, there are no standard dimension, so he would have to take a window and physically put it in to see if it would fit. Having hundreds of different windows out there from plenty of different manufacturers, he said he would not do such a thing as it would take 'forever'.

I can understand his point. I don't think I would want to go out there with measurements, finding one that might fit, putting it in, finding out it does not fit, and do it all over again.

Many years ago we tried to replace our front window (the one in the overhead cab), our local technician said sort of the same thing: he would have to measure it and then contact each manufacturer to see if they have one that fits. But not knowing all the manufacturers that are out there .......

So silicone is still our best friend. Hey, it works. Might not be 100% pretty, but I prefer functionality vs. appearance.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do. Just seal it right away to prevent further intrusions.