iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Newmar Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/)
-   -   A/C will not run on generator (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/a-c-will-not-run-on-generator-536953.html)

TJ 05-16-2021 12:30 PM

On the Newmar coaches with 8K Onan, there is just one breaker set on the generator. It is common for techs to turn the breaker when servicing the generator, and nearly as common for them to forget to turn it back on. ;)

TJ

wolfe10 05-16-2021 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ (Post 5753456)
On the Newmar coaches with 8K Onan, there is just one breaker set on the generator. It is common for techs to turn the breaker when servicing the generator, and nearly as common for them to forget to turn it back on. ;)

TJ

Yes, one breaker SET (two breakers pinned together).

Stluvisi 05-16-2021 02:59 PM

what does oa mean on the end of the stat line on pcs read out

twinboat 05-16-2021 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stluvisi (Post 5753655)
what does oa mean on the end of the stat line on pcs read out

" 0 ", ( zero ) Amps. There is power but nothing is using it.

Check the controls for the ACs.

C.Martin 05-17-2021 05:01 AM

Actually, those 0 A readings are misleading.

It isn’t how many Amps that particular circuit is drawing at that moment... It is a memory folder for how many Amps the unit was drawing when a Load Shed occurs. It only fills in when the total draw on a Leg or combined draw ( if less than 50A was available ) was reached and one or more of the 6 selected items capable of being shed, were actually shed. The PCS needs this reading to compute when sufficient amp overhead is available for reinstating that load again.

Example... you were hooked up to a 30A shore power outlet...and you had one air conditioner running, two water heater AC elements, the washer as runningg...and your total current draw was near 30A. Then you turned on the dryer to finish drying a load you had in the dryer...and the PCS decided to shed both of the Hot water elements to accommodate you. There would be an A reading next to those two slots. I don’t know what they would have been...but for the sake of argument...let’s say 5A each... So the PCS is trying to stay below 30A...it will look at the 5A overhead requirement, and subtract that from 30A. When it sees the total is below 25A, it will reinstate the first...again it will wait until the total is below 25A again to reinstate the last one. The only place the current Amperage is displayed there is the first page with L1 and L2 displayed...

okcnewbie 05-19-2021 07:54 AM

Your last sentence sounds like the compressor is on but the blower motor isn't.
Are you able to turn the fan on by itself?

chefred112 05-21-2021 03:31 PM

When I 1st got my new to me 2002 MADP I couldn't figure out how to run the AC's consistently...I would keep fiddling with the thermostat to try and get it to work. Another user said patience is key.. Finally figured out if I want to run the ac(s) while driving I would first turn on the the generator..I watched my control panel until I saw the bulk/float charge light turn on at which time I would turn the thermostat on and run the ac. I would leave zone 2 off and close the pocket door so that only the front area would need the ac where my passengers are sitting at. I don't have digital readouts like the newer models so I rely on the indicator lights.

Stluvisi 05-22-2021 09:22 AM

Thanks all for the advice and suggestions. We think its the capacitor since on front AC since the other two work. Have ordered one and hope this solves the issue.
Will keep you all updated!
Thanks again!

vawinger 05-24-2021 01:39 PM

Same thing just happened to me. Picked up new (to me) Ventana from dealer on Saturday. It had been hooked to shore power. On the way home, getting hot, fired up the generator. At a stop light, I stood up and tried to turn on the A/C. I didn't check that they actually came on, but by the time I got home it was obvious that they didn't.

Several hours later after working to load all the stuff in the coach with no A/C, I started looking at it again. Fired up the generator, and A/C won't come on. Then I noticed a power or on/off button on the top left of the panel for each zone. It was off. Turned it on, and voila! Not sure why it was off, but there you have it.

Hope this helps!

Turbojack 05-24-2021 02:21 PM

So when you plug back into shore power the back two ac run but now the front will not run?

Stluvisi 06-02-2021 02:32 PM

Problem was the capacitator, replaced it front AC unit working.
Thanks for the suggestions.