iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   Am I crazy...?? Crashed Foretravel U295 (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/am-i-crazy-crashed-foretravel-u295-537286.html)

nbluesky 05-17-2021 03:04 PM

Am I crazy...?? Crashed Foretravel U295

2 Attachment(s)
Hello iRV folks! My wife and I made kind of a crazy decision out of the blue today. A 1995 Foretravel U295 came up for sale locally. It was 10 mins from my house and I had to go look with the DW. They guy selling it is in a bad situation where he bought it just last fall. He almost immediately accidentally left the parking brake off and it went rolling into another truck and damaged the front door and steps.

I went and looked it over and the coach is clean really nice condition coach. Engine compartment and everything I looked over is in really great condition. Needs tires, air bags, and front end repairs. We made a deal and we are picking it up tomorrow. I know I am able to do the work but am I crazy??

The idea is selling our current 1994 HR Navigator (See my rebuild thread here) and making this our new coach. Biggest reason being it seems like it is in better shape to start with and worth putting more time and money into than the Nav. Now don't get me wrong, love the Navigator. It's a really solid well built coach. This one just has less surface rust and in general seems so clean. Cabinets are absolutely beautiful walnut, never seem them so nice. All the walls are walnut too! I already like how Foretravel designed the chassis, the engine bay is so much easier to get to. For a guy who wrenches, that is a big plus.

Soooo, am I crazy?? Which one would you work on and want to keep??

Dunrollin 05-17-2021 03:13 PM

That looks great! Looking forward to your updates as you move forward.

wolfe10 05-17-2021 03:19 PM

The 1995 U295 can be a very nice coach.

Check the BULKHEADS, particularly since you are in salt country. If question on this, visit the Tech section of the ForeForum. Question, PM me.

And, for a realistic estimate by a body shop that specializes in Foretravels (in Nacogdoches) take a lot of pictures and send to: https://www.xtremegraphics.net/servi...llisionrepair/

SlowJoe 05-17-2021 03:29 PM

Looks nice. Hopefully you can find parts at Colaw's or someone similar. Good luck!

nbluesky 05-17-2021 03:31 PM

Thanks Dun, will do!

Wolfe, I looked at a bunch of the bulkhead bolts. They all look great. I didn't hit any with a wrench though. There is almost zero surface rust on anything on this rv. That's why I wanted it so bad.

wolfe10 05-17-2021 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nbluesky (Post 5755205)
Thanks Dun, will do!

Wolfe, I looked at a bunch of the bulkhead bolts. They all look great. I didn't hit any with a wrench though. There is almost zero surface rust on anything on this rv. That's why I wanted it so bad.

Yup around 15 in front and 15 in back.

But, without a torque wrench on them and total of 10 minutes of your time, either your X ray vision is excellent or the condition of the Rolock bolts/box beams is still not known.

Said another way, the Rolock bolt heads can look just fine, but be broken about 4-5 threads in where they screw into the first side of the box beam. From my years of inspecting Foretravels, have a collection of Rolocks where the head looks tread and the bolt is broken.

IMO, sure worth a few minutes.

tinman 55 05-17-2021 03:57 PM

Nice looking rig. Hopefully you can source a used door for it. The rest looks easily repairable

Chargerman 05-17-2021 07:20 PM

Let the repairs begin.

Best of luck with it!

guardrail53 05-17-2021 09:21 PM

The Foretravel U295 are very nice, well built coachs! Good score! :thumb:
Rail!:cool:

BobJones 05-17-2021 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nbluesky (Post 5755164)
Soooo, am I crazy?? Which one would you work on and want to keep??

Sheer insanity! WHAT were you thinking? :blink::whistling:

Well, it sounds like you cut your teeth on the other unit and have done enough work on it to realize you'd rather put the effort into a unit that strikes your fancy more.

To me, that makes perfect sense :thumb: Especially if you love the interior. The part I like best on the other one is the picture with your family and the grins on everyone's face. To me, that's everything :D

Joyce M 05-17-2021 11:42 PM

Oh-Boy another build report to keep me from splitting wood for next winter.
I'm joining the viewers!
Best of luck!

153stars 05-18-2021 08:21 AM

How's the door frame?. It looks like more damage was done possibly separating collided vehicles from each other.

nbluesky 05-18-2021 08:59 AM

Well after a little title drama things seem to be working out. I'm headed to pick it up now. I'll post a bunch of pictures later today. I couldn't wait to start researching foretravel everything and it really seems like an upgrade front the Nav. I am so excited!!!

MN_Traveler 05-18-2021 09:23 AM

Following.

Somehow I suspect that you just plain canít help yourself in getting into these little projects [emoji4]