iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f38/)
-   -   Not the Cabelas I knew (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f38/not-the-cabelas-i-knew-537373.html)

Concord 05-18-2021 08:36 AM

Not the Cabelas I knew

1 Attachment(s)
Mitchell South DakotaAttachment 328664

Leonandlisa 05-18-2021 08:47 AM

Last year was the 1st year we didnít stay overnight at the Cabelas in Lehi Utah on our way from Vegas to Wyoming. It was mid way, we could buy all our fishing supplies, and it was great. Last year they said no overnight parking, so we didnít bother stopping. I havenít been in a cabelas since, disappointing.

rrsutherland 05-18-2021 09:02 AM

:sad: It's been painful to watch the demise of such a venerable company. I haven't seen anything good come of the incorporation into Bass Pro.

Concord 05-18-2021 09:08 AM

Talked to the manager.. "Its the way the country is going... For security purposes..."

Bye Cabelas...

Ljwt330 05-18-2021 09:10 AM

Is this a nation-wide change for Cabela's or just in some locations?

I have never used parking lots for overnight stays so I am asking out of curiosity and with the understanding that some companies were very friendly to the concept in the past. I am wondering if this was a corporate decision, as suggested by the Bass Pro post, or if local stores have made a policy change on their own.

Edit: You posted the manager's response while I was typing. That is an understandable comment and was my original thought. However, did he clarify if it was a local decision or did corporate make a policy change?

carybosse 05-18-2021 09:23 AM

I think there is so much unrest in our nation, that no one wants to take the chance of violence.

In the past, it was probably not only good business and the presence of overnighters even discouraged burglaries and other mischief. Now, an overnight RV is just an easy target for hoodlums bent on destroying property.

I still remember being told one of my former employers a long, long time ago, had to outlaw RVs in the employee lots. Reason was that certain employees were running a lucrative business of providing sex services out of their RVs. Always someone has to ruin it for the rest.

Bobby F 05-18-2021 09:28 AM

Curious: was this letter posted outside? Were there RV's present in the RV lot? Does it appear that this was posted for official purposes, but RV parking is still tacitly allowed? Or was the lot now empty?

Bummer if it's really shut down. This has been my first-night stay for every trip from MN to points West, and I bet I spent at least $100 every time I stopped.

(Anywhere else people like to overnight in Mitchell?)

Leonandlisa 05-18-2021 09:37 AM

So I can only speak for the Utah one, we called last summer on our way out of town just to check before stopping there. We knew it was purchased by bass pro and also Covid was also making things different. They have a huge parking lot dedicated for RVís, it had a fresh water fill and dump in the lot which we never used, but know many did. We were told we were welcome to use the area during business hours but would be asked to leave once they closed, no overnight camping allowed.

Ljwt330 05-18-2021 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carybosse (Post 5756037)
I think there is so much unrest in our nation, that no one wants to take the chance of violence.

In the past, it was probably not only good business and the presence of overnighters even discouraged burglaries and other mischief. Now, an overnight RV is just an easy target for hoodlums bent on destroying property.

I still remember being told one of my former employers a long, long time ago, had to outlaw RVs in the employee lots. Reason was that certain employees were running a lucrative business of providing sex services out of their RVs. Always someone has to ruin it for the rest.

And that (bold) is the bottom line.

My guess is that the sheer volume of users was increasing to a point that the number of "abusers" forced the decision. By "abusers," I mean those who over stayed, left messes, parked in other than designated areas, or possibly impacted adjoining businesses. All speculation, but the increase in overall RV usage makes these changes logical, unfortunately.

Edit: I didn't realize that some of these stores had areas set aside for RVs, as mentioned by Leonandlisa. That makes the change all the more discouraging and more likely the result of "over-nighting" becoming "campsite."

Biljol 05-18-2021 09:46 AM

My son in law worked for both cabbelas and bass pro. My understanding is after the purchase the insurance company was changed as in bass pro is self insured.

If you have ever worked for a company that is self insured you know they will take extra precautions to avoid any law suit.

Looking at this from a pure business point of view it makes sense. Especially in this sue happy world we have now,.

Wrktfsh 05-18-2021 09:50 AM

I used to shop regularly at Cabelas. Since bass pro bought them out theyíve gone downhill both in stocking and eliminating decent lines of product. I no longer shop there.

Ljwt330 05-18-2021 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biljol (Post 5756064)
My son in law worked for both cabbelas and bass pro. My understanding is after the purchase the insurance company was changed as in bass pro is self insured.

If you have ever worked for a company that is self insured you know they will take extra precautions to avoid any law suit.

Looking at this from a pure business point of view it makes sense. Especially in this sue happy world we have now,.

This^^, makes perfect sense, if true.

A change in ownership and insurance coverage could certainly change the degree of risk the company was willing to take. On the bright side, as dim as it may be, this would mean change was not due to abuse by RVers, only a business decision that was not made out of a desire for more profits.

carybosse 05-18-2021 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ljwt330 (Post 5756051)
And that (bold) is the bottom line.

My guess is that the sheer volume of users was increasing to a point that the number of "abusers" forced the decision. By "abusers," I mean those who over stayed, left messes, parked in other than designated areas, or possibly impacted adjoining businesses. All speculation, but the increase in overall RV usage makes these changes logical, unfortunately.

Edit: I didn't realize that some of these stores had areas set aside for RVs, as mentioned by Leonandlisa. That makes the change all the more discouraging and more likely the result of "over-nighting" becoming "campsite."

First off, Finley is beautiful. We have our 3rd Springer right now, Zoe.

I wonder about a lot of these types of things. Unfortunately, I think the main culprit is the risk aversion. People sue for everything these days.

The last thing Cabellas/Bass Pro wanted was some rioters showing up to loot guns from the store, and then to confront an RV owner defending themselves, resulting in a shoot out at the OK Corral.

2Newsomes 05-18-2021 11:19 AM

It’s not nation wide yet, Cabelas in Anchorage AK still allows overnight.