iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Newmar Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/)
-   -   Do 110 volt outlets provide power when coach is not turned on? (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/do-110-volt-outlets-provide-power-when-coach-is-not-turned-on-537475.html)

NMcopilot 05-18-2021 05:50 PM

Do 110 volt outlets provide power when coach is not turned on?

Do the 110 volt outlets on 2021 Ventana 4369's provide power when the coach is on shore power, but not running the motor or generator?

Mr_D 05-18-2021 05:52 PM

Yes is the simple answer. Off shore power and with the inverter on some may not be powered though.

twinboat 05-18-2021 06:34 PM

What ever works on shore power should work on generator power.

The engine powers nothing 120 volts, but it does charge the batteries.

The inverter powers some stuff but its not powerful enough to power everything.

NMcopilot 05-18-2021 09:13 PM

Thank you both!

I need to have a pet monitor for temperature monitoring plugged in and an FAQ said to make sure.

chefred112 05-21-2021 03:18 PM

I wondered this myself when I 1st got my coach last year (2002 Mountain Aire)... when unplugged I wasn't getting any juice to 110 outlets...one day I was going thru bays and found the inverter...saw a switch on it, turned on and all works now when off of shore power.

wolfe10 05-21-2021 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twinboat (Post 5756743)
What ever works on shore power should work on generator power.

The engine powers nothing 120 volts, but it does charge the batteries.

The inverter powers some stuff but its not powerful enough to power everything.

Good, concise answer!

C.Martin 05-21-2021 04:39 PM

I hate to ask...but what model coach are we talking about?

Our 2016 “all-electric” coach has a MS2812 Inverter. The inverter on this specific model powers all of the outlets with four exceptions. It will not power the following...

1) Induction Cooktop outlet,
2j Washer outlet
3) Dryer outlet
4) Engine Block Heater outlet.

If your coach has a smaller inverter...it may only provide power to the entertainment systems and residential fridge...the larger models power much more, including the microwave.

I would suggest you unplug, and plug into each outlet to see if there is actually inverter power to it.

NMcopilot 05-21-2021 11:59 PM

The one I was asking about is a Vantana 4369.

rffowler55 05-22-2021 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NMcopilot (Post 5756940)
Thank you both!

I need to have a pet monitor for temperature monitoring plugged in and an FAQ said to make sure.

We have the RV whisper to monitor the temperature for our pets and we started off with it plugged into a 120 outlet but changed to a 12volt USB when the shore power went down resulting in the monitor also losing power. The 12volt system remains active as long as the coach batteries retain a charge.

C.Martin 05-22-2021 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NMcopilot (Post 5760913)
The one I was asking about is a Vantana 4369.

Yours should be the same as my 4037...except, I don’t have three air conditioners on the roof.

There are only a couple of caveats. It is easy to turn the inverter OFF...so, knowing your ME-RC controls is important. The setup makes a difference too. If someone set a search watts feature too high...the inverter may sleep, unless you are drawing enough current. I leave the search watts feature turned off.

It can be deceiving...if you are plugged into shore power or generator is running...the AC power passes thru the inverter...so the inverter doesn’t really take 12vdc and convert it to ac power in this configuration. If you then press the INV button, you can turn the inverter function OFF, but your outlets will stay in pass thru mode as long as the shore or generator are providing power and not interrupted. So, your outlets will dupe you into thinking the inverter ON. Then when shore or generator is lost...you will have nothing...so it’s important to know wether the inverter is ON or OFF as it can be misleading if you are simply checking that the microwave display is lit, or the fridge is running. It could be that you accidentally turned the inverter OFF, but those things are still running in pass thru mode.

The true test is to trip the shore power pole breaker, and keep the generator OFF. Then you will notice the system display on the ME-RC status line will say INVERTING... You can open the fridge and look for the light, or see if the time is displayed in your convection microwave (if it isn’t the Advantium, which has a power save mode that turns off the display)

Hope that makes sense.

NMcopilot 06-14-2021 11:09 AM

For some reason I wasn't getting notified of replies to this post so sorry for the delayed thanks!

After our day long review of every nut, bolt, and cranny of our Ventana 4369, I do sort of understand!

We brought it home Friday evening and encountered our first equipment malfunction on the way home! The clip keeping the diesel access door in the back down broke and fell off, so up went the door. We stopped and purchased some sisal twine and tied it down. We were closer to the dealership than home but they didn't want us to bring it back.

I'm hoping it's something we can install vs spending 2 hours there and two hours back worth of diesel to have them do it when it arrives. Of course it had to be ordered in.

andy29847 06-14-2021 11:31 AM

This is how the power in my coach works. It is a 2001, so it is probably a little different than yours. Note that some receptacles are powered from the main AC panel which is before the inverter. Some receptacles are powered from the sub AC panel and this power is passed through the inverter. All of my 12v power comes from the batteries. My inverter/charge makes some DC power to charge the batteries. My inverter charger can use the DC power from the batteries to supply AC power to the sub panel.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/Alp...ng%20Ac-X3.png

Chargersrt8 06-15-2021 09:14 AM

Great visual!