iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   Opinions For A Better Ride (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/opinions-for-a-better-ride-539817.html)

pdcruiser 06-04-2021 02:30 PM

Opinions For A Better Ride

Hello All - We are new to the RV world and purchased an Entegra Vision Class A Gas motorhome. Loving it so far - But for the ride.

First we were getting blown off the road ( a little exaggeration here, maybe blown a little out of our lane ) by passing tractor trailers, but it was something we didn't like - added Safety-T-Plus, and what a great improvement!!

But the ride is still rough, like going over expansion joints or repaired asphalt joints etc. Wears me out.

So now thinking about adding Koni Shocks - Sumo Springs and an auxiliary sway bar in the rear .... Any thoughts?? Done before??

Thanks . Paul

MN_Traveler 06-04-2021 02:34 PM

The first thing to do is to verify your axel weights, then make sure your tires are appropriately inflated per the tires inflation charts

Over inflated tires can produce the effects you are relating

pdcruiser 06-04-2021 02:38 PM

Agree - weights have been confirmed and tire pressures are correct - Thanks

GCSuper 06-04-2021 03:18 PM

That's the most common complaint of the Ford Chassis. You can spend a lot of money to improve it some, but it is what it is. Better shocks, proper tire pressures and alignment, all will help some. Liquid Springs, although expensive, will help the most. After two years, we traded ours in on a DP as the gas chassis was never going to give us the comfort we wanted.

beckeda 06-05-2021 12:00 PM

You can spend $5K on this pretty quickly and get a slightly better ride. I had a 2020 Newmar Baystar Sport 29' footer. I traded it in for a 43' diesel pusher about 10 months later. I still have frustrations about ride quality on less than perfect roads. However, I am not getting pushed around the road like I was on the Baystar.

Bono_B-1 06-05-2021 03:47 PM

I plan to upgrade our shocks, install Sumos, and add a steering stabilizer.

Ted Lambert 06-05-2021 04:06 PM

I had a 34ft class A gas. Ford f53 chassis.
No mater what advice you get on this site,just do like I did I installed front air bags complete with compressor.
Took away all the things your having issue with. Especially the expansion joints and the jarring from railway tracks. Most of all it illuminates get blown away by transport trucks.
500 bucks and an afternoon of labour and your done.
My wife would not drive our coach until I put the bags on.
Once the bags were installed she found it easy. She was in her early 60s I was in my mid 60s.
No longer have that unit but I sure miss it!

Once you have done this checkout the suggestions. A lot of people have good intentions but do a great disservice to this site buy expressing opinions that are really worthless unless they have experience with the issue.

Ted Lambert 06-05-2021 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GCSuper (Post 5778565)
That's the most common complaint of the Ford Chassis. You can spend a lot of money to improve it some, but it is what it is. Better shocks, proper tire pressures and alignment, all will help some. Liquid Springs, although expensive, will help the most. After two years, we traded ours in on a DP as the gas chassis was never going to give us the comfort we wanted.

No sir front airbags is the cure for the Ford chassis issue.
It was criminal for Ford to have built a frame like the f53 chassis without airbags. I know! 500 bucks and an afternoon and my problems were over.
People have thrown more money at this problem than you can imagine.

SLOweather 06-05-2021 04:18 PM

Ford F53 chassis? What year?

gmc70 06-05-2021 04:31 PM

How about some insight to the air bag fix. Where it get, cost, installation, videos?

Vintage Iron 06-05-2021 05:58 PM

Do a search for Kelderman on here. There is a lot of information available. I had the Kelderman 2 stage air system installed on my 2008 Baystar. They will customize it to suit your needs. My set up includes an on-board compressor and adjust-on-the-fly front bags. Rear bags self-adjust to maintain a fixed height regardless of load.
You can google the company and see some videos.
As for ride quality, it reduces or eliminates the harsh jarring coming from the front end. Grade crossings that I used to tense up for are now absorbed. One of the side products of the softer ride is how much quieter the coach became. And nothing fell off the dash.
There does not appear to be any loss or gain to handling. The kit comes with Koni shocks for the front.
I have limited miles on the setup but they are all on roads that I am familiar with and the difference is amazing.
Just another option to look into. Good luck.

HarryStone 06-05-2021 11:58 PM

$2600 is a long way from $500 and an afternoon in the driveway, as stated by Ted. What's the real answer?

triplewide 06-06-2021 03:08 AM

If $3K makes the F53 ride like a DP on air bags, it would be worth it to me.
I need to check this out.

Pol6 06-06-2021 04:05 AM

My 30ft 2021 HR Vacationner on F53 chassis was all over the road when I got it. The stock Ford chassis leaves a lot to be desired and aftermarket upgrades do help but this frame has it’s limitations.
I spent a lot of time and $ to make it driveable. Rear track bar, Steering stabiliser, Rear and front Sway bars, Shocks, Sumo’s. Handling was then Ok but the ride was still as rough. I’ve always kept my tire pressure at 5 psi above the recommended pressure from the tire mfg’s load charts.
This year, before giving up on it, I went with the Kelderman 2 stage front and rear. Have to say that the ride is much better and handling is good. I think that I’ve probably reached the limit of what this old ‘bread truck’ chassis configuration has to offer. Also upgraded to aluminum wheels and added centramatic balancers.
I’m holding to this class A coach because there’s not many options in the 30ft range except ... more F53 based entry level rigs.
After 5 years of ownership, wish I had known about Kelderman’s 2 stage from the get go.