iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Outdoors RV Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f282/)
-   -   Double towing with ORV (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f282/double-towing-with-orv-540274.html)

Lyfs2shrt4BS 06-07-2021 10:33 PM

Double towing with ORV

Hello everyone, this is my first post here in the ORV forum. I am planning to buy a 22FQS as soon as I sell my 2018 Arctic Wolf 5th wheel. Now that our son is grown and itís just me and my wife, itís time to down size. I really would like to double tow a small aluminum trailer with a Polaris General on it, and am wondering if anyone else double tows with ORV. I am not interested in the toy haulers... mainly because camp isnít always where the trailhead is. Iíd rather tow the SxS with my truck than pack it all up and take the RV to the trailhead. As far as a I know thereís no law against double towing with a TT, and with the length and weights, my Ram 2500 is more than capable... Thoughts?

fisher99 06-07-2021 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lyfs2shrt4BS (Post 5782653)
Hello everyone, this is my first post here in the ORV forum. I am planning to buy a 22FQS as soon as I sell my 2018 Arctic Wolf 5th wheel. Now that our son is grown and itís just me and my wife, itís time to down size. I really would like to double tow a small aluminum trailer with a Polaris General on it, and am wondering if anyone else double tows with ORV. I am not interested in the toy haulers... mainly because camp isnít always where the trailhead is. Iíd rather tow the SxS with my truck than pack it all up and take the RV to the trailhead. As far as a I know thereís no law against double towing with a TT, and with the length and weights, my Ram 2500 is more than capable... Thoughts?

Legal in some states but definitely not in others. You'll want to do your due diligence.

As for my thoughts: After seeing a truck and travel trailer upside down and the boat with the bottom of the hull scraped off from sliding down the road (came off trailer, which was also upside down alongside the road), I have absolutely no desire to tow doubles. But again, that's just me. I'm sure many have towed doubles for many successful miles.

However... If I did want to "tow" something behind the trailer I'd look at something like this. As a bonus, you can actualy back up with it attached. I've seen them on the road and talked to owners and get glowing reports. Not cheap, but... https://www.cruiserlifts.com/collect...w58-dual-wheel

Lyfs2shrt4BS 06-07-2021 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fisher99 (Post 5782679)
Legal in some states but definitely not in others. You'll want to do your due diligence.

As for my thoughts: After seeing a truck and travel trailer upside down and the boat with the bottom of the hull scraped off from sliding down the road (came off trailer, which was also upside down alongside the road), I have absolutely no desire to tow doubles. But again, that's just me. I'm sure many have towed doubles for many successful miles.

However... If I did want to "tow" something behind the trailer I'd look at something like this. As a bonus, you can actualy back up with it attached. I've seen them on the road and talked to owners and get glowing reports. Not cheap, but... https://www.cruiserlifts.com/collect...w58-dual-wheel

Thatís SLICK!! Iíll have to think about that one... Iíd still like to have the option of towing to various trailheads when playing in Moab. I just donít want a big ole toy hauler.

Choclabs 06-08-2021 01:36 AM

https://drivinvibin.com/2021/03/16/double-tow/

egwilly 06-08-2021 06:30 AM

I think you'll find that ORV does not approve the towing of any vehicles attached to their trailers. Our hitch is rated for 300 lbs total.

We use it for a ebike carrier.

Not sure where you live, but Calif requires doubles endorsement and class A non-commerical license to tow doubles. Special testing at the big rig testing site as well.

I would never consider it.

Welcome to the ORV forum!

WNDOPDLR 06-08-2021 08:15 PM

My concern with the cruiserlift is those 8" tires and wheels. If your truck/trailer are doing 65MPH, imagine how fast those little wheels are turning. I have ducked wheel/tire assemblies that had bearing failure on the interstate and detached from the axle. I avoid those folks like the plague.

Craig1960 06-08-2021 11:12 PM

I see it a bit here in Alberta where it is legal. Mostly boats but the odd trailer with a sxs or quad on it. I'd do if my rig could handle it for the same reason as you, the trails aren't always where we camp.

Vintage465 06-09-2021 08:06 AM

I recently did a lot of reading up on this in the California Drivers Handbook. Towing double would be a great way for me to haul a toy or two to the desert. What I found in reading was that doubles are legal but it has to be a pickup/5th wheel setup as the first two. I dug pretty hard to find that info and wasn't pleased with it. Also the verbage is not real "RV-reader" friendly. They don't use words like "fifth wheel". They had some other term for what we call a fifth wheel. I will look a little to see if I can find it again.

Unicorn Driver 06-09-2021 08:19 AM

No experience with towing doubles but after seeing 2 this past weekend looked right damn scarey.

egwilly 06-09-2021 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vintage465 (Post 5784445)
I recently did a lot of reading up on this in the California Drivers Handbook. Towing double would be a great way for me to haul a toy or two to the desert. What I found in reading was that doubles are legal but it has to be a pickup/5th wheel setup as the first two. I dug pretty hard to find that info and wasn't pleased with it. Also the verbage is not real "RV-reader" friendly. They don't use words like "fifth wheel". They had some other term for what we call a fifth wheel. I will look a little to see if I can find it again.

Even the local DMV has issues trying to determine what tests and abilities you need to tow doubles. Went thru this fiasco a couple years ago with them. The office sup had to call Sacramento to guide me on this. My original findings still stand in Calif. as far as I know/

For us, the wife tows the off-road Jeep and I tow the fifth wheel to the desert. That way we get there and back safely without CHP eyeballing us.

MtCamper 06-10-2021 06:58 AM

When we had our 20FQ, we towed a SXS behind from Montana to Arizona the first winter. I had a class 3 receiver hitch installed by a professional welding shop. I did a very careful weight and balance on the trailer so I could get 12-15% hitch weight. I was very careful to keep the total weight under 2000# to avoid trailer brakes. The set up was great and we had a very good winter, but we were stopped on our way out of Cali and told we were an illegal combo. Same thing when we exited Az. All totaled we had just over 7000 miles without an issue. I found that I could even back up this combo, can't do that with the new lash-up. From our experience I'd recommend it if the states you plan to travel to allow it.

Dave Pelletier 06-10-2021 12:32 PM

Many issues; as mentioned above the TT hitch isn't good enoug and you'd need a better one installed. The effect on the TT tongue weight would need to be carefully considered. That contraption with two swivel wheels....well, I wouldn't trust it at highway speeds.

So why not just put the SXS on the back of the truck and eliminate all the other hassels.

Dave

Dave Pelletier 06-10-2021 12:33 PM

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...2&d=1558476762

egwilly 06-10-2021 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Pelletier (Post 5786102)

Wow! That is a lot of weight on the back of that pickup! :confused: