iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Entegra Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/)
-   -   Dreaded Insurance increase, trying something different (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/dreaded-insurance-increase-trying-something-different-540376.html)

brobox 06-08-2021 02:54 PM

Dreaded Insurance increase, trying something different

Like others I received the dreaded Progressive increase of $3,587. up from $2,800. I have my Progressive policy with FMCA and switched my cars over to get the multi policy discount.
On my S&B renewal I noticed that my FL homeowners is a division of Progressive, also my umbrella liability. From watching Flo's commercials, I am having my agent see if she can "bundle" all of my Progressive sub companies into all of my insurance and see if Flo idea works. :D I'll post the outcome, if not good, I will be playing insurance company roulette again.

Before others start saying how great inland Farm Bureau insurance is, I live in coastal FL Hurricane Zone and they will not insure here. :D If others that live in high risk hurricane or fire zones that have received good quotes in this insurance year, I am all ears.

wolfe10 06-08-2021 03:03 PM

Part of our new "RV reality" is the number of absolute first time "we have never driven anything like this before" owners.

So, RV claims WILL be up. You are helping pay for your new RV'ing buddy.

LETMGROW 06-08-2021 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brobox (Post 5783517)
Like others I received the dreaded Progressive increase of $3,587. up from $2,800. I have my Progressive policy with FMCA and switched my cars over to get the multi policy discount.
On my S&B renewal I noticed that my FL homeowners is a division of Progressive, also my umbrella liability. From watching Flo's commercials, I am having my agent see if she can "bundle" all of my Progressive sub companies into all of my insurance and see if Flo idea works. :D I'll post the outcome, if not good, I will be playing insurance company roulette again.

Before others start saying how great inland Farm Bureau insurance is, I live in coastal FL Hurricane Zone and they will not insure here. :D If others that live in high risk hurricane or fire zones that have received good quotes in this insurance year, I am all ears.

I would be interested in what you find out. Not that it would affect me much but I do know a couple who it might.
When I renewed my policy a month ago my premium increased some also. My agent told me even though my coach is a year older the value has increased because of the strong RV market we are seeing right now. I'm sure your value hasn't dropped as much this past year as it would have in years past. When insurance companies write anything for the first couple three years they hold their breath hoping you don't need to file a claim. Normally after the third year the value has dropped so the companies can start to relax. I'm also sure the higher cost of repair parts and materials along with labor has increased significantly in the past year. This simply means if you were in a mishap, it would cost more to facilitate repairs than it would have a year ago. Although your value may have depreciated this past year and what you would get if the coach was totaled a collision today which would have been a $20,000 repair last year might exceed $30,000 this year. It's all like walking on a greased balance beam.
When I renewed my policy, my agent asked me if I wanted to increase the stated value. I pondered this until I started checking prices of coaches comparable to mine and supposedly in as good condition. When I realized how much more it would cost to replace what I have and how much more it would be over the stated value to replace it I raised all my limits. Actually my value has exceeded what I paid for my coach in 2015.
Again, my value is "chump change" compared to yours but I feel in some way the percentages would be roughly the same.

TomandGloria 06-08-2021 04:18 PM

We went thru this a couple of years ago. USAA sent us to Progressive, as they have the rest of our insurance. First year was a reasonable rate, then they dropped the hammer on us and our rate jumped about the same as yours.

We shopped and found GEICO for the coach was the best value. We’ve been with them a couple of years, with a slight increase this year. Seems like all the same answers about Florida having storms, high payouts, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Gary.Jones 06-08-2021 05:25 PM

Chuck:

Your numbers are now roughly equivalent to my numbers. Tried to pool my insurances, but that did not help.

Gary

darjacob 06-08-2021 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomandGloria (Post 5783637)
We went thru this a couple of years ago. USAA sent us to Progressive, as they have the rest of our insurance. First year was a reasonable rate, then they dropped the hammer on us and our rate jumped about the same as yours.

We shopped and found GEICO for the coach was the best value. We’ve been with them a couple of years, with a slight increase this year. Seems like all the same answers about Florida having storms, high payouts, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Just like you, I had Progressive. USAA sent me to them. They posted record profits this year and then raised my premiums. So, like you, I checked with GEICO and wow! $700 less than Progressive. The agent asked if I would like to move my autos to GEICO and I said "I have USAA and you can't beat them". Boy was I wrong. They beat USAA by $300. I have been with USAA for 35 years but I'm gone now. USAA ain't what it used to be...

Skip426 06-08-2021 07:19 PM

JMHO:
Check to see if the insurance company you're dealing with has a " health insurance division " ; with Covid-19 putting so many in hospitals for extended periods , the health insurance companies are bleeding $$$$$$ big time and looking to recover by increasing premiums everywhere they operate .:whistling:

brobox 06-09-2021 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfe10 (Post 5783529)
Part of our new "RV reality" is the number of absolute first time "we have never driven anything like this before" owners.

So, RV claims WILL be up. You are helping pay for your new RV'ing buddy.

Brett, I am sure that is a reality that is already programmed in the insurance companies databases with the number of "new" RV sales, along with the number of predicted storms this season.

I was expecting the increase to $3,500 so I knew it was coming. Time to try bundling with different companies and see if it works, or if it's all TV hype. :)

garysfb 06-09-2021 02:54 PM

3877 on my last renewal. I'm sure I can find a policy for less, but I don't want to give up the Total loss replacement. Now after my fifth year it goes away and I'll be shopping.

Dieselgem 06-09-2021 03:39 PM

Even though there are increases the Florida rates are killers. I have stopped playing thier game and insure the RV for the a realistic value. It is a used vehicle and I expect if a total loss to get that value. Now, on a new RV this will not help. But on a used one if you don't have a payment it works fine.

brobox 06-15-2021 11:33 AM

Another UPDATE:
Geigo will no longer insure MH's with a MSRV of over $500,000. No matter what you paid for it. Even if the MH is over 10 years old, if it has a MSRP of over $500M they will not insure it. Has anybody run into this lately as well?
I spent 2 hours on the phone, even with the main RV insurance division and received the same answer. Maybe because I am in FL?

Gary.Jones 06-15-2021 12:31 PM

When I have shopped for insurance over the past two years, I have run into statement before...... some companies just wont write insurance on a coach with an MSRP higher than some figure. My memory was that it was half a million. Now, I dont remember which exact companies were in that group but it was more than one company that took themselves out of the running with that limitation. Its not just Florida. I just cross them off and call the next number.

Gary

HarleySG 06-15-2021 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brobox (Post 5783517)

Hey Chuck,

Not sure if this will help, or even comparable. But, living in Colorado, we are prone to hail and fire as you know. I thought for sure our Ins would sky rocket due to the fires we had last year (Many homes were lost). We have our MH with Hartford through AARP (not bundled with other assets). Our rates only went up $40 from last year. Hope it's worth a try to investigate Hartford to see if you can get a better rate.

Cheers!

beckeda 06-15-2021 02:44 PM

I just received my renewal from Progressive and it dropped $927 annually to $2,355. No idea why, but I will take it. Please understand I am not gloating but rather providing another data point to the discussion.

Turbojack 06-15-2021 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brobox (Post 5792470)
Another UPDATE:
Geigo will no longer insure MH's with a MSRV of over $500,000. No matter what you paid for it. Even if the MH is over 10 years old, if it has a MSRP of over $500M they will not insure it. Has anybody run into this lately as well?
I spent 2 hours on the phone, even with the main RV insurance division and received the same answer. Maybe because I am in FL?

Learned that lesson when we got current coach. Tried doing the online quote and no one had Foretravel listed as coach type. Tried calling, once I told them I had a Foretravel they said nope because value was too high. I think the only company we found that would insure our coach was Foremost (will have to check with wife to verify).

When you think about it, how many people carry enough insurance to pay for your coach if they are the cause of it being totaled.

brobox 06-15-2021 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarleySG (Post 5792559)
Hey Chuck,

Not sure if this will help, or even comparable. But, living in Colorado, we are prone to hail and fire as you know. I thought for sure our Ins would sky rocket due to the fires we had last year (Many homes were lost). We have our MH with Hartford through AARP (not bundled with other assets). Our rates only went up $40 from last year. Hope it's worth a try to investigate Hartford to see if you can get a better rate.

Cheers!

Thanks Rustry, AARP Hartford is one that will not insure in FL.

Quote:

Originally Posted by beckeda (Post 5792676)
I just received my renewal from Progressive and it dropped $927 annually to $2,355. No idea why, but I will take it. Please understand I am not gloating but rather providing another data point to the discussion.

That is fantastic. Do you care to share which state that is in? If it's in FL, let me know and I will find a change of address for that area.:)

brobox 06-15-2021 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary.Jones (Post 5792534)
When I have shopped for insurance over the past two years, I have run into statement before...... some companies just wont write insurance on a coach with an MSRP higher than some figure. My memory was that it was half a million. Now, I dont remember which exact companies were in that group but it was more than one company that took themselves out of the running with that limitation. Its not just Florida. I just cross them off and call the next number.

Gary

It looks like Geigo will no longer insure Entegra's Anthem and above. Those that have Geico and I are pleased with them, I hope they Grandfather as Progressive with my renewal notice is no longer and have set a limit. Things have really changed this year with RV insurance. It's going to be interesting what kind of "no" I receive from Good Sam's, the RV people :laugh:

chrislis 06-16-2021 09:25 AM

We use a broker site and most customers end up signing up with them because of the way they shop their companies. The companies they compare are Progressive, Foremost, Allied, and others. I've never been let down with them.

Here's a link to give it a shot:

https://rvainsurance.com/quote

brobox 06-16-2021 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrislis (Post 5793847)
We use a broker site and most customers end up signing up with them because of the way they shop their companies. The companies they compare are Progressive, Foremost, Allied, and others. I've never been let down with them.

Thanks Chris you were on my list to call today. Todd told me about them but I didn't remember the name

D20 06-16-2021 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrislis (Post 5793847)

I used them also. They went with Progressive but it was significantly less than what I could get with Progressive myself online.

chrislis 06-16-2021 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brobox (Post 5793855)
Thanks Chris you were on my list to call today. Todd told me about them but I didn't remember the name

Glad I could help! Let me know how it works.

beckeda 06-16-2021 11:01 AM

Texas. I have had the rig for 1 year (purchased new) and I have not had any claims on the polciy.

Harleydeal 06-16-2021 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beckeda (Post 5792676)

They probably know that nobody can drive them bcuz of the Def head issues. Less risk in the driveway.

brobox 06-16-2021 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harleydeal (Post 5794121)
They probably know that nobody can drive them bcuz of the Def head issues. Less risk in the driveway.

:laugh::rofl: Probably more truth than humor.

brobox 06-17-2021 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrislis (Post 5793944)
Glad I could help! Let me know how it works.

Thanks Chris, but the best they could do was match my renewal rate from Progressive.

justrich44 06-17-2021 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darjacob (Post 5783856)
USAA ain't what it used to be...

I've been a "member" of USAA since the early 80's. For the longest I believed that no one could beat their coverage. They do offer a lot of benefits for servicemembers that face daily struggles with deployment and other issues. Over the years I've tried to use USAA, but one time I had 3 claims in 5 years...they booted me. I was too much risk. Then they allowed me back. Had a very large home burglary that from the beginning they accused me of perpetuating it. I was in Hawaii when it happened. They settled, but for only a small fraction of what we lost. Then we moved to another home and guess what? Can't cover you because you are in a Fire Protection Zone 9. That was when I finally said enough is enough. I'm now with Texas Farm Bureau. Not only did they cover my FPZ9 home, but offer great coverage on my motorhome. USAA...not for me.

sally.moore 06-22-2021 05:20 PM

I have not seen this mentioned but I save a lot of money with Progressive by paying the premium in full vs monthly. I know some agents will not tell you this, I assume because very few owners are interested and I'm sure they make more profit from monthly payments. We are fulltime and I found out when shopping for insurance that all companies do not insure fulltimers.

Georgefhou 06-22-2021 05:23 PM

FMCA has excellent insurance for RVs. USAA member who is a refuge from Progressive. For those non USAA members, USAA has a relationship with Progressive for its RV members.

oggiedoggie 06-22-2021 06:10 PM

Progressive Ins rate

Yep. Same here. Got hit with a 20% increase on our 17 Aspire DEQ. Had it for 4 years in Florida. No claims either. Actual cash value only dropped the rate by about $500 so will keep the Total Replacement. But will be looking....

dwiede 06-22-2021 07:52 PM

I had an interesting item that came up when I started with Progressive. When I received my policy after enrolling through FMCA, I noticed that the agent typed the wrong birthdate and made me one year older. I called Progressive to resolve the typo and they said I was owed a refund. Looks like the increases everyone are commenting on come from more than newbies learning how to drive a big rig. I bet you see an increase every year due to age.

2-Nickels 06-22-2021 08:04 PM

I read about the treatment happening by Insurance companies and am saddened. We all pay dearly for these coaches and largely just want them insured reasonably. Unless I am mistaken a $500K Home would never have an annual insurance fee of approximately $3K.

In Canada our coach insurance has not changed over the past 4 years. We are insured with Aviva, is this an option for coaches in the US? BTW, AAA offered us the same rate this year, do they insure coaches in the US?

spuds 06-22-2021 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Georgefhou (Post 5802000)
FMCA has excellent insurance for RVs.

FMCA does not offer insurance. They might have a partner who offers it, and then it depends on the state you live in, but FMCA themselves is neither an insurance company nor an agent.

tomgauger 06-23-2021 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darjacob (Post 5783856)
Just like you, I had Progressive. USAA sent me to them. They posted record profits this year and then raised my premiums. So, like you, I checked with GEICO and wow! $700 less than Progressive. The agent asked if I would like to move my autos to GEICO and I said "I have USAA and you can't beat them". Boy was I wrong. They beat USAA by $300. I have been with USAA for 35 years but I'm gone now. USAA ain't what it used to be...

USAA has been behaving more like commercial, profit-making insurance over the past several years. I've been with them since 1960 and it's time to cut the cord.

Xpress21 06-24-2021 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brobox (Post 5792470)
Another UPDATE:

We ran into this when we bought our 2018 Anthem back in August 17. We went with foremost originally but after 3 years of coverage/no claims got an increase of over $3000 (over $7000/year for Jeep and MH-no traffic tickets either) so we moved to GEICO but lost full replacement coverage. Who knows what increases we will face this year.

We talk about trading for a new coach but we are unsure what companies we can find that insure over 500K in Florida...

Which ones have you found?

Steve and Daphne

brobox 06-24-2021 02:31 PM

FINAL UPDATE, IT WORKED
My MH renewal was with FMCA/Progressive in the amount of $3,587 full replacement cost.

Going through my Independent Agent that handles my homeowner, commercial and umbrella liability, they were able to rewrite a new Progressive Policy for $2,687.00 full replacement cost, after grouping my auto and umbrella liability which were already with Progressive. My homeowners is a sub high risk company of Progressive, but does not count in combining the policies for discount. It took some work, but a $900 savings with a little higher coverage was worth it. The auto was $50 high per 6 months being written as a new policy, but a good trade off.

Bob and Lisa 07-02-2021 07:27 PM

Congratulations on your tenacity Chuck!!! Cost savings per hour invested, you scored...