iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Entegra Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/)
-   -   Dreaded Insurance increase, trying something different (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/dreaded-insurance-increase-trying-something-different-540376.html)

brobox 06-08-2021 03:54 PM

Dreaded Insurance increase, trying something different
 
Like others I received the dreaded Progressive increase of $3,587. up from $2,800. I have my Progressive policy with FMCA and switched my cars over to get the multi policy discount.
On my S&B renewal I noticed that my FL homeowners is a division of Progressive, also my umbrella liability. From watching Flo's commercials, I am having my agent see if she can "bundle" all of my Progressive sub companies into all of my insurance and see if Flo idea works. :D I'll post the outcome, if not good, I will be playing insurance company roulette again.

Before others start saying how great inland Farm Bureau insurance is, I live in coastal FL Hurricane Zone and they will not insure here. :D If others that live in high risk hurricane or fire zones that have received good quotes in this insurance year, I am all ears.

wolfe10 06-08-2021 04:03 PM

Part of our new "RV reality" is the number of absolute first time "we have never driven anything like this before" owners.


So, RV claims WILL be up. You are helping pay for your new RV'ing buddy.

LETMGROW 06-08-2021 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brobox (Post 5783517)
Like others I received the dreaded Progressive increase of $3,587. up from $2,800. I have my Progressive policy with FMCA and switched my cars over to get the multi policy discount.
On my S&B renewal I noticed that my FL homeowners is a division of Progressive, also my umbrella liability. From watching Flo's commercials, I am having my agent see if she can "bundle" all of my Progressive sub companies into all of my insurance and see if Flo idea works. :D I'll post the outcome, if not good, I will be playing insurance company roulette again.

Before others start saying how great inland Farm Bureau insurance is, I live in coastal FL Hurricane Zone and they will not insure here. :D If others that live in high risk hurricane or fire zones that have received good quotes in this insurance year, I am all ears.

I would be interested in what you find out. Not that it would affect me much but I do know a couple who it might.
When I renewed my policy a month ago my premium increased some also. My agent told me even though my coach is a year older the value has increased because of the strong RV market we are seeing right now. I'm sure your value hasn't dropped as much this past year as it would have in years past. When insurance companies write anything for the first couple three years they hold their breath hoping you don't need to file a claim. Normally after the third year the value has dropped so the companies can start to relax. I'm also sure the higher cost of repair parts and materials along with labor has increased significantly in the past year. This simply means if you were in a mishap, it would cost more to facilitate repairs than it would have a year ago. Although your value may have depreciated this past year and what you would get if the coach was totaled a collision today which would have been a $20,000 repair last year might exceed $30,000 this year. It's all like walking on a greased balance beam.
When I renewed my policy, my agent asked me if I wanted to increase the stated value. I pondered this until I started checking prices of coaches comparable to mine and supposedly in as good condition. When I realized how much more it would cost to replace what I have and how much more it would be over the stated value to replace it I raised all my limits. Actually my value has exceeded what I paid for my coach in 2015.
Again, my value is "chump change" compared to yours but I feel in some way the percentages would be roughly the same.

TomandGloria 06-08-2021 05:18 PM

We went thru this a couple of years ago. USAA sent us to Progressive, as they have the rest of our insurance. First year was a reasonable rate, then they dropped the hammer on us and our rate jumped about the same as yours.

We shopped and found GEICO for the coach was the best value. We’ve been with them a couple of years, with a slight increase this year. Seems like all the same answers about Florida having storms, high payouts, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Gary.Jones 06-08-2021 06:25 PM

Chuck:

Your numbers are now roughly equivalent to my numbers. Tried to pool my insurances, but that did not help.

Gary

darjacob 06-08-2021 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomandGloria (Post 5783637)
We went thru this a couple of years ago. USAA sent us to Progressive, as they have the rest of our insurance. First year was a reasonable rate, then they dropped the hammer on us and our rate jumped about the same as yours.

We shopped and found GEICO for the coach was the best value. We’ve been with them a couple of years, with a slight increase this year. Seems like all the same answers about Florida having storms, high payouts, yadda, yadda, yadda.


Just like you, I had Progressive. USAA sent me to them. They posted record profits this year and then raised my premiums. So, like you, I checked with GEICO and wow! $700 less than Progressive. The agent asked if I would like to move my autos to GEICO and I said "I have USAA and you can't beat them". Boy was I wrong. They beat USAA by $300. I have been with USAA for 35 years but I'm gone now. USAA ain't what it used to be...

Skip426 06-08-2021 08:19 PM

JMHO:
Check to see if the insurance company you're dealing with has a " health insurance division " ; with Covid-19 putting so many in hospitals for extended periods , the health insurance companies are bleeding $$$$$$ big time and looking to recover by increasing premiums everywhere they operate .:whistling:

brobox 06-09-2021 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfe10 (Post 5783529)
Part of our new "RV reality" is the number of absolute first time "we have never driven anything like this before" owners.


So, RV claims WILL be up. You are helping pay for your new RV'ing buddy.

Brett, I am sure that is a reality that is already programmed in the insurance companies databases with the number of "new" RV sales, along with the number of predicted storms this season.

I was expecting the increase to $3,500 so I knew it was coming. Time to try bundling with different companies and see if it works, or if it's all TV hype. :)

garysfb 06-09-2021 03:54 PM

3877 on my last renewal. I'm sure I can find a policy for less, but I don't want to give up the Total loss replacement. Now after my fifth year it goes away and I'll be shopping.

Dieselgem 06-09-2021 04:39 PM

Even though there are increases the Florida rates are killers. I have stopped playing thier game and insure the RV for the a realistic value. It is a used vehicle and I expect if a total loss to get that value. Now, on a new RV this will not help. But on a used one if you don't have a payment it works fine.

brobox 06-15-2021 12:33 PM

Another UPDATE:
Geigo will no longer insure MH's with a MSRV of over $500,000. No matter what you paid for it. Even if the MH is over 10 years old, if it has a MSRP of over $500M they will not insure it. Has anybody run into this lately as well?
I spent 2 hours on the phone, even with the main RV insurance division and received the same answer. Maybe because I am in FL?

Gary.Jones 06-15-2021 01:31 PM

When I have shopped for insurance over the past two years, I have run into statement before...... some companies just wont write insurance on a coach with an MSRP higher than some figure. My memory was that it was half a million. Now, I dont remember which exact companies were in that group but it was more than one company that took themselves out of the running with that limitation. Its not just Florida. I just cross them off and call the next number.

Gary

HarleySG 06-15-2021 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brobox (Post 5783517)
Like others I received the dreaded Progressive increase of $3,587. up from $2,800. I have my Progressive policy with FMCA and switched my cars over to get the multi policy discount.
On my S&B renewal I noticed that my FL homeowners is a division of Progressive, also my umbrella liability. From watching Flo's commercials, I am having my agent see if she can "bundle" all of my Progressive sub companies into all of my insurance and see if Flo idea works. :D I'll post the outcome, if not good, I will be playing insurance company roulette again.

Before others start saying how great inland Farm Bureau insurance is, I live in coastal FL Hurricane Zone and they will not insure here. :D If others that live in high risk hurricane or fire zones that have received good quotes in this insurance year, I am all ears.

Hey Chuck,

Not sure if this will help, or even comparable. But, living in Colorado, we are prone to hail and fire as you know. I thought for sure our Ins would sky rocket due to the fires we had last year (Many homes were lost). We have our MH with Hartford through AARP (not bundled with other assets). Our rates only went up $40 from last year. Hope it's worth a try to investigate Hartford to see if you can get a better rate.

Cheers!

beckeda 06-15-2021 03:44 PM

I just received my renewal from Progressive and it dropped $927 annually to $2,355. No idea why, but I will take it. Please understand I am not gloating but rather providing another data point to the discussion.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:43 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.