iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Navigation, Routes & Roads (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f42/)
-   -   Cape Coral FL to Sturgis SD (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f42/cape-coral-fl-to-sturgis-sd-540851.html)

Excursion 33 06-12-2021 07:38 AM

Cape Coral FL to Sturgis SD

Trying to map out a route from Cape Coral FL to Sturgis SD.

Would like to go thru the Smokies and avoid all major cities if possible.

No tight timeframes.

I prefer boondocking as I am set up for that but would stay in a few RV parks along the way.

I have Harvest Host as an option for quick overnight stays

I have a Harley with me as well so I would like to do a little riding along the way

Prefer safe areas of course with little towns

Any suggestions? Starting up the 75N out of Florida.

Thanks

Judge64 06-14-2021 03:14 AM

Greetings..... I'm from Cape Coral as well (but spend the summer months up north and camping). I've got a Super C and either pull a Can-Am Spyder or Wrangler depending on where we go and for how long.

We did the Smokies last fall. You might want to look at staying in the Townsend area. It is away from the tourist traps like Pigeon Forge. We stayed at Little Arrow Campground, which is right next to one of the park entrances. The amount of people that go to the Smokies is crazy. The earlier you can get out to ride the better. There are several great rides plus the Tail of the Dragon is not too far from there as well.

You might want to think about stopping in the Lake of the Ozarks on your way up or back. That is a nice area with some good riding. I haven't been there in a long time but we plan to stop there either on the way back from this year's trip or next year. Branson is also in that area as well.

We have a two month plan tripped from August to October out west and we will be spending time in South Dakota towards the end of the trip in late September. We booked the KOA in the Badlands and another in near Mount Rushmore. We plan to stop in Deadwood and Sturgis while we are up that way.

Enjoy the trip and safe travels!

Excursion 33 06-15-2021 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judge64 (Post 5790658)
Greetings..... I'm from Cape Coral as well (but spend the summer months up north and camping). I've got a Super C and either pull a Can-Am Spyder or Wrangler depending on where we go and for how long.

We did the Smokies last fall. You might want to look at staying in the Townsend area. It is away from the tourist traps like Pigeon Forge. We stayed at Little Arrow Campground, which is right next to one of the park entrances. The amount of people that go to the Smokies is crazy. The earlier you can get out to ride the better. There are several great rides plus the Tail of the Dragon is not too far from there as well.

You might want to think about stopping in the Lake of the Ozarks on your way up or back. That is a nice area with some good riding. I haven't been there in a long time but we plan to stop there either on the way back from this year's trip or next year. Branson is also in that area as well.

We have a two month plan tripped from August to October out west and we will be spending time in South Dakota towards the end of the trip in late September. We booked the KOA in the Badlands and another in near Mount Rushmore. We plan to stop in Deadwood and Sturgis while we are up that way.

Enjoy the trip and safe travels!

Appreciate the input. Do you know if the area around the Smokies has much boondocking areas available?

Thank you

Judge64 06-16-2021 03:53 AM

It was our first time to the area and I didn't notice a lot of places to boondock. Someone more familiar with the area may be able to help.

However, you might want to checkout BoonDockersWelcome.com. I found this spot that doesn't look too bad.

https://www.boondockerswelcome.com/hosts/14541/

hamm2018 06-16-2021 06:44 AM

We just went to Deadwood and Sturgis at the end of May. Deadwood has a gunfight reenactment in the town square. Also in almost all the bars, restaurants, hotels are numerous electronic slot machines. You can take a tour of the Boot Hill cemetery and a tour bus ride. While in Deadwood there was a Big & Rich concert so that day they did not have a gunfight.
Our time in Sturgis was even less, we drove around for about 30 minutes and seen the bars and motorcycles shops. The motorcycle museum was open but did not go to it. On the weekends there is scheduled to be numerous events for the summer, so the weekends could be fun there.

While in the area stop in Wall Drug store. Don't forget to drive thru the Badlands National Park outside of Wall, SD. If coming from the east on I-90 there is loop, 244, that goes thru the park and comes out at Wall.

Excursion 33 06-16-2021 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hamm2018 (Post 5793595)
We just went to Deadwood and Sturgis at the end of May. Deadwood has a gunfight reenactment in the town square. Also in almost all the bars, restaurants, hotels are numerous electronic slot machines. You can take a tour of the Boot Hill cemetery and a tour bus ride. While in Deadwood there was a Big & Rich concert so that day they did not have a gunfight.
Our time in Sturgis was even less, we drove around for about 30 minutes and seen the bars and motorcycles shops. The motorcycle museum was open but did not go to it. On the weekends there is scheduled to be numerous events for the summer, so the weekends could be fun there.

While in the area stop in Wall Drug store. Don't forget to drive thru the Badlands National Park outside of Wall, SD. If coming from the east on I-90 there is loop, 244, that goes thru the park and comes out at Wall.

Been to Sturgis many times from the West Coast and this will be the first from the SE region. New paths etc. Thank you