iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   Water pump when to use (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/water-pump-when-to-use-541071.html)

Daverene 06-13-2021 05:08 PM

Water pump when to use

So on you tube there is a video about all ways using water pump. Pull in to a site fill tank use Pump. He says it prevents too much pressure in the camper.
What do you think

Dutch Star Don 06-13-2021 05:28 PM

Me thinks he's not the sharpest pencil in the box. That's why they make water regulators. Using your tank and pump is fine for an overnight stay. But, if you're staying somewhere for awhile, why not just use the shore water, that's why it's there.

Now I'm sure someone will come along and tell us that's the way they do it, but that's not what's being asked....the video is talking about too much pressure.

Now if you're staying in cold weather, many will run off their warmer tank water and then refill, but again, that's not the norm.

Elwood58 06-13-2021 05:28 PM

That is one way of doing it. Remember to shut off the pump when leaving for any length of time. I use a water regulator and turn off campground supply when away from the coach.

macnut 06-13-2021 05:32 PM

Water pump when to use

We have a water pressure regulator we use when we hook up to water at a site. However, if we are just passing through, we just use the on board water and leave the pump on. We only use a regulator with a built in gauge so we can verify itís working well. No objection to using the pump all the time, but the noise of our pump can be annoying at times, like if needed in the middle of the night. :-)

Ljwt330 06-13-2021 06:06 PM

One point to make, and it is related to one already made by Elwood58.

Pressure is easily controlled by a regulator, as mentioned, and that counters the concern expressed in the video. However, using city water, even regulated, leaves you open to a flooded rv should you leave the spigot open when you are away from the coach. Leaving the pump ON will result in the same problem, but at least the volume of water is limited to the size of the tank.

Further, using the pump if you're inside the coach, any leak will immediately be detected because the pump will begin to run or cycle ON/OFF, whereas a leak when connected to city water may not be noticed until water is running out of a location in the rv.

No perfect solution except to be vigilant with whatever method you use, and avoid leaving the rv unattended for any length of time with either the pump or city water ON.

Old-Biscuit 06-13-2021 06:10 PM

We use the Fresh water tank and pump exclusively
Think I'm smarter then box of rocks for doing so

Pressure is consistent regardless of where we go
Any leak...pump cycles alerting you to issue
Flip a switch and pump is Off....going outside/leaving CG/going to bed
Don't have a hose laying out/hooked up

Simple.....

chuckftboy 06-13-2021 06:30 PM

I normally like being connected to the camp ground water supply when their pressure is 60 psi or less. When their pressure is higher, I am forced to use my regulator and that seems to restrict water flow so I then switch to my onboard tank and pump.

Lately I've been using the pump a little more because its more convenient since I always travel with a full tank.

153stars 06-13-2021 07:20 PM

There you go both sides of debate perfectly explained . How many replies will post get ????. I like the fresh tank approach keeps that tank fresher when needed, no massive flood, both ways can be prevent flood easily. If water in CG is so-so and you don't want to travel/fill up with it in tank before you leave but okay to wash up with maybe both sides of coin, shower wash clothes on hose and back on fresh for icemaker ,cooking and drinking "another 100 post debate lol" ect.
I know when I had a small water heater and 4 young kids that we bathed/showered in TT it was easier to heat and control the water out of tank.

bpu699 06-13-2021 08:35 PM

Iíve known folks that flooded their rv when a fitting burst... very $$$

We fill the tank, use the water via the pump, then empty the tanks and refill when due...

Pump is always off when not in use.

Dutch Star Don 06-13-2021 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit (Post 5790236)
We use the Fresh water tank and pump exclusively
Think I'm smarter then box of rocks for doing so

Pressure is consistent regardless of where we go
Any leak...pump cycles alerting you to issue
Flip a switch and pump is Off....going outside/leaving CG/going to bed
Don't have a hose laying out/hooked up

Simple.....

Hmmmm.....pretty sure I was going to get this response....that's why I wrote..."Now I'm sure someone will come along and tell us that's the way they do it, but that's not what's being asked....the video is talking about too much pressure".

TJDave 06-13-2021 09:05 PM

Along with what has been shared above, we have an added reason for using our tank and pump. We are not full timers. We have a nice water softener at the home base. We fill up the water tank with soft water at home. Nothing like a shower with soft water, and I think it helps keep the holding tanks cleaner.
If we get low on water on longer trips, we fill the tank up with campsite water.

Mr Ted 06-13-2021 09:51 PM

For most water regulators are totally unnecessary . And are just a throw back from yesteryear. Most all rigs use PEX as the "piping". Just as in most new homes.

Shutterbug57 06-14-2021 03:07 AM

We use the pump and fresh water tank exclusively. We have had 2 faucets and 1 kitchen sprayer go bad and leak water. The faucets leaked under the sink whenever the system was pressurized. The cycling of the pump was a give away that there was a problem to find and fix. When we are not using the water, we turn the pump off and we double check that it’s off when leaving the coach and at night. (Yes, we do use a pressure regulator on the fresh water hose when filling the tank as we don’t have a gravity fill option, it gots thru the wet bay panel.)

We enjoy predictable water pressure and when, in some campgrounds, folks are complaining about poor water pressure and weak showers due to poor water pressure we only notice the pressure issue when filling up the tank as it takes longer.

Ultimately, water is one of the biggest risks in RVing. We, from day 1, chose to manage that risk with the water pump and fresh water tank. I am pretty sure that this choice saved us when the 2 faucets leaked as we had less than a gallon to clean up each time. In an RV, like in a house, water leaks are a when, not if event. Regardless of how diligent you are in your maintenance program, stuff will wear out and leaks will happen. Our risk tolerance is low, hence our approach. Only you can determine your risk tolerance.

ETA - when fixing the first water leak, I noticed that RVs generally don’t have shut off valves under the sinks. I fixed that problem as part of fixing the faucet issue. This also makes managing your water system easier when a specific faucet or toilet valve breaks/wears out as you can shut off its water supply and still use the rest of the system.

Ljwt330 06-15-2021 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Ted (Post 5790533)
For most water regulators are totally unnecessary . And are just a throw back from yesteryear. Most all rigs use PEX as the "piping". Just as in most new homes.

Cannot disagree, in general, with your comment except to say that some camp grounds warn campers to regulate the water pressure due to high pressure at the spigot. Though the PEX itself may hold up under extreme pressure, the same cannot always be said about the plastic connectors. The most common source of leaks is at the plastic connections, not the PEX pipe itself. Poorly strapped pipe and weak plastic connectors that are under constant vibration during travel often lead to leaks, especially when put under high pressure. It is a peace-of-mind addition that is often provided by the manufacturer.

But your point is made. Most RVs will never need to have the city water regulated, and a leak in their system from a broken connector will likely happen at whatever pressure is supplied by the pump or city connection, even if it's regulated.

BTW, here in CA at least, plumbing codes require regulation of water pressure into the house in new construction.

RELHUB 06-15-2021 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daverene (Post 5790165)
So on you tube there is a video about all ways using water pump. Pull in to a site fill tank use Pump. He says it prevents too much pressure in the camper.
What do you think

I have never had an issue using shore water however
that does not mean my way is better then someone else.

You can come up with positive and negative for each method.
Do what you feel is best for you.