iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Toads and Motorhome Related Towing (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/)
-   -   Ready Brute Elite (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/ready-brute-elite-541105.html)

Rv10ner 06-13-2021 09:12 PM

Ready Brute Elite

Got the new to us class A gasser and we are leaning toward towing a Chev Sonic. Not sure about braking systems but i saw the Ready Brute Elite with its surge brake idea and really like the fact it is passive and requires very mininal installation.

Jusy wondering about some real world feedback from users. I know its not cheap but considering buying both a seperate brake system and tow bar its not that bad.

Any feedback appreciated.

Keith

Grower15 06-13-2021 10:35 PM

If you do a search on “Ready Brute Elite II by NSA” you should find a thread I started in Mar 21 asking the same question. There was lots of good feedback. I subsequently purchase and installed it on my F-150. After towing about 1000 miles it works great! It’s simple and cost effective.

El Chapo 06-14-2021 10:41 AM

Mine has been flawless also

ThomB 06-14-2021 01:51 PM

I have one and tow our Mini Cooper Roadster. I think it's a great tow setup!

The install instructions discuss the size of the through hole you need in the firewall. I'm not sure if you will know prior to install if you have a double-walled firewall or single. I ended up with a double wall and it did take me a few stores before I found a 1' steel drill bit to drill the interior hole larger (you need that so you can secure the interior cable in place.)

The only problem I have (and it's more my fault for the way I installed it) is that I broke the plastic bolt/nut that is made to go through the bumper. I installed mine lower than most and didn't want to go through the bumper so it broke on the mount I made. I have a replacement and just need to wire it up and contacted to see if I could get a metal one like on the firewall side, but they don't have those (they must get the cable/ fittings from a 3rd party). Should be less than an hour to fix it, but the Florida humidity right now is holding me back.

HighDesert 06-14-2021 05:47 PM

Even using the Ready Brute Elite for a couple of years now to tow our Jeep JKS with and we are quite happy with it. Simple, effective, and it works. I would suggest that you also get the emergency break away setup togo with that. We also did the installation ourselves on the Jeep.

vyndance 06-14-2021 05:52 PM

You will not be disappointed.

Poohbear7278 06-14-2021 06:05 PM

Been towing with it for 8 year now , no problems and easy and quick to hook up

ChasL 06-16-2021 05:38 AM

[QUOTE=vyndance;5791662]You will not be disappointed.[/QUOTE
X2. Towing Chevy Spark. E-Trailer did or still has a video on installation.

YC1 06-16-2021 06:10 AM

Towing our F150.

I put a laminated check list inside the truck for putting it into the four wheel down tow mode. Also added that I need to be sure to adjust the brake pedals to adjust for slack in the cable.

I have to be careful to not have the thing automatically reset to my settings. The truck pedals, seats etc.

The brake seems smooth as silk. I can't feel any tugging and it does release nicely.

Grower15 06-16-2021 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YC1 (Post 5793554)
Towing our F150.

I put a laminated check list inside the truck for putting it into the four wheel down tow mode. Also added that I need to be sure to adjust the brake pedals to adjust for slack in the cable.

I have to be careful to not have the thing automatically reset to my settings. The truck pedals, seats etc.

The brake seems smooth as silk. I can't feel any tugging and it does release nicely.

Good idea on the laminated checklist! I need to do the same thing for my F-150.

MSHappyCampers 06-16-2021 09:04 AM

Hi Keith! We've been using the ReadyBrute Elite since 2012 and love it! Some folks have problems running the cable to the toad brake pedal, but it's achievable in most cases. The system is simple yet effective, has a lifetime warranty, and is the least expensive for both towbars and braking system.

I would go with the NSA Hercules which is rated at 12,000 lbs. :dance:

BnB 06-16-2021 07:11 PM

Another positive vote for the Ready Brute Elite! 7 years and 50000 miles and it;s going strong. I had a mishap when I lost a tow pin on the interstate but no damage to the Jeep, Motorhome or Ready Brute. I even stopped by the NSA factory in KS after that incident a couple years back and they checked it over, greased the whole system and replaced all my bolts….. no charge! I have installed the brake line and DOT break-A-Way on 2 different Jeeps without a lot of problem.
Sidebar, they told me that Blueox has been trying to buy them out but they’re not selling.

Rv10ner 06-16-2021 10:46 PM

Thanks so much for all the helpful replies. Knowing real world experiences is in my opinion much better than the sales brochure.

Cheers,

Keith

becks 06-17-2021 08:14 AM

We have also been very happy with our Ready Brute.