iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Just Conversation (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f64/)
-   -   Power company shut off entire campground for 6 days (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f64/power-company-shut-off-entire-campground-for-6-days-541359.html)

puttin 06-15-2021 04:34 PM

Power company shut off entire campground for 6 days
 
We had a reservation at Jackson Rancheria from June 21st to the 25th. We got a message from them today that P.G.and E. was doing a public safety power shut off. Don't know where we'll go in lieu of this, and the weather is actually suppose to be cooler next week. We had lots of plans and reservations around our stay there. Murphy's law I guess.

Bigd9 06-15-2021 04:49 PM

Shutting off all power or doing a rotating or rolling blackout? Hard to believe the entire area will be powerless for 6 days. Never heard of a Public Safety Power Shut Off.

Bigd9 06-15-2021 04:53 PM

I spoke too soon. Google search shows for "Public Safety Power Shutoff ":

Quote:

Power will remain out for as long as extreme and dangerous weather conditions pose a potential fire risk. After a Public Safety Power Shutoff event, your energy company will inspect and repair power lines and equipment so that power can be safely restored.

Depending on the severity of the weather and other factors, power outages could last several hours or multiple days so its important you and your family have an emergency plan in place.
Boy, that sure sucks for your plans :blink:

tap4154 06-15-2021 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigd9 (Post 5792924)
I spoke too soon. Google search shows for "Public Safety Power Shutoff ":



Boy, that sure sucks for your plans :blink:

It's pretty common in California, since many of the massive wild fires have been caused by power lines. And the vegetation north and south is just waiting to catch fire again.
I'm camping down in Southern California inland at 4,000 ft, and it's 95 degrees, "real feel"100. Going to be the same or hotter all week.

vyndance 06-15-2021 07:26 PM

I live in SCE PSPS country and although it's dry and hot we are still above 40% humidity and a west wind blowing. Not PSPS weather. The longest we have ever been down was about 60 hours. If you google PGE PSPS you will see nothing out and no planned outages near Jackson. Besides the first "Maybe warning" is 48 hours out. There is no way anyone knows what is going to happen next week. Good luck.

Old-Biscuit 06-15-2021 10:28 PM

Common practice for PG&E since the Camp Fire in 2018 where the town of Paradise was destroyed and 84 lives lost

tap4154 06-15-2021 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vyndance (Post 5793142)
I live in SCE PSPS country and although it's dry and hot we are still above 40% humidity and a west wind blowing. Not PSPS weather. The longest we have ever been down was about 60 hours. If you google PGE PSPS you will see nothing out and no planned outages near Jackson. Besides the first "Maybe warning" is 48 hours out. There is no way anyone knows what is going to happen next week. Good luck.

It could be that the campground just wants to be very cautious, and not have its campground full when an outage is announced.

And God forbid if there was a fire, the logistics of trying to evacuate everybody quickly.

Tha_Rooster 06-16-2021 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by puttin (Post 5792885)
We had a reservation at Jackson Rancheria from June 21st to the 25th. We got a message from them today that P.G.and E. was doing a public safety power shut off. Don't know where we'll go in lieu of this, and the weather is actually suppose to be cooler next week. We had lots of plans and reservations around our stay there. Murphy's law I guess.



Use the genny when needed I had the same problem with a campground except a bad storm took power out a couple of days. They called and we went anyway.

LETMGROW 06-16-2021 06:05 AM

Welcome to the world of poor forest management and uninsulated power wires.

C.B. 06-16-2021 07:57 AM

power outage
 
It's called being prepared.


6500watts.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/86...-no?authuser=0



C.B.

tap4154 06-16-2021 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LETMGROW (Post 5793544)
Welcome to the world of poor forest management and uninsulated power wires.

Fun fact: California only owns 3% of our forests. 58% is federal, the rest is owned privately and by Native Americans.

Also many of our environments, like Chaparral, really do better when they burn occasionally. The problem is people are permanently living in those environments now, so they get way overgrown. People may clear brush around their private residences, but the rest of the areas get overgrown.

On a hike yesterday, I came across the power lines coming into this campground. They are just barely above tree level in many places, and this area had a massive fire in December of 2003 during a Santa Ana wind event. Burned out oak trees and other remnants all over the place, but it's made a great comeback.

puttin 06-16-2021 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vyndance (Post 5793142)
I live in SCE PSPS country and although it's dry and hot we are still above 40% humidity and a west wind blowing. Not PSPS weather. The longest we have ever been down was about 60 hours. If you google PGE PSPS you will see nothing out and no planned outages near Jackson. Besides the first "Maybe warning" is 48 hours out. There is no way anyone knows what is going to happen next week. Good luck.


Been on the phone and can't verify what the Resort told us. I feel as though what another poster said with regard to being proactive. We've decided to go anyway- if we need the gen so be it. We'll top off the tank before we get there. I kind of wish my wife had a d/c ready c-pap, it would make it a little easier.

Old-Biscuit 06-16-2021 06:28 PM

Their website is still taking reservation for that time period

puttin 06-17-2021 08:53 AM

I'm guessing they may have had some cancels-they're always full.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:16 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.