iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Navigation, Routes & Roads (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f42/)
-   -   Telephone app for rv routing (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f42/telephone-app-for-rv-routing-541372.html)

Sandie115 06-15-2021 06:11 PM

Telephone app for rv routing

What do you all use for routing your 13 or more ft tall RV on your phone apps? I use a Garmin RV 760 GPS but wondering if there are apps on phone that can be used for RVs for routing. I LOVE WAZE but do not feel it is safe for routing RVs around and not under low overpasses. WHAT are your thoughts? FREE ones are preferred but...

Mr.Goodbar 06-16-2021 03:04 PM

RV Trip Wizard & RV Life app.

Google Maps, Apple Maps, Waze will get you in trouble. They will route you on the quickest car route, possible, regardless.

twogypsies 06-16-2021 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandie115 (Post 5793030)
What do you all use for routing your 13 or more ft tall RV on your phone apps? I use a Garmin RV 760 GPS but wondering if there are apps on phone that can be used for RVs for routing. I LOVE WAZE but do not feel it is safe for routing RVs around and not under low overpasses. WHAT are your thoughts? FREE ones are preferred but...

Well.... believe it or not, many RVers travel without a GPS telling them where to drive. We did successfully for 16 years of full-timing and never had an issue and the majority of time on secondary highways. We used a good atlas and researched. ;)

pasdad1 06-16-2021 03:33 PM

Telephone app for rv routing

1 Attachment(s)
We use CoPilot in addition to our Garmin 770.

Attachment 332417

TravelSolo 06-17-2021 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Goodbar (Post 5794250)
RV Trip Wizard & RV Life app.

Google Maps, Apple Maps, Waze will get you in trouble. They will route you on the quickest car route, possible, regardless.

This. I use RV Trip Wizard and the RV Life App to build trips but then use Google Maps on the actual drive with waypoints set to match the route from RV Trip Wizard.

Alan_Hepburn 06-18-2021 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twogypsies (Post 5794265)
Well.... believe it or not, many RVers travel without a GPS telling them where to drive. We did successfully for 16 years of full-timing and never had an issue and the majority of time on secondary highways. We used a good atlas and researched. ;)

Well, yes - we lived perfectly fine for many decades without cell phones, also...

Nwcid 06-18-2021 01:12 PM

I just use google maps with no troubles, however I do not blindly follow it.

I have no other apps, or books or similar.

On major routes low obstructions are typically well marked and have alternate route noted. You are not the only large vehicle that may confer taking that route.

Also, along main routes most deliveries are by truck. Going to the grocery store? Big trucks deliver, you will fit.

Once we get off main routes then we spend more time on the internet investigating.

treeoflib 06-26-2021 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twogypsies (Post 5794265)

And many of us tent camped back in the day. I, for one, don't want to tent camp anymore and don't want to spend days researching a route when an application can do that for me, letting me focus my research time on the destination. And printed materials have a shelf life. That 13 foot overpass clearance in 2015 may not be true today, after a few inches of asphalt were added. I am not saying the RV apps are guaranteed to be better, but the data will likely be fresher.

Still, I respect that you have not become a slave to every shiny piece of new tech, and use your grey matter. Here's to critical thinking skills!

DandyDon 06-30-2021 07:10 PM

I use WAZE but also bought a Rand McNally Motor Carriers Atlas. It's the one truckers use and gives low clearance listings for all 50 states and all the Canadian provinces. Very handy thing to have!

STRich 06-30-2021 10:02 PM

I have been using an app called TruckMap on my Android device. It allows you to set up the vehicle parameters. (height, weight, length) So far so good. Have others been using this as I am a bit new to the RV life.
Thx,
Rich