iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Monaco Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/)
-   -   New owner (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/new-owner-541492.html)

RayAZ 06-16-2021 02:33 PM

New owner

I just recently pulled the trigger on a used 2004 Holiday Rambler Scepter with 39,690 miles this Saturday. I hope it turned out for the best , here's the story behind it . The guy stopped using it 3 years ago and sat on the side of the house for that long and I'm calling it sat longer . I recently took it to Camping World for an oil change and service generator and also needed a new battery isolator. Got all that token care of , getting new tires put on tomorrow i went with 275/70/R22.5 Hankook tires . An i went with that tire cause the counter guy said he personally had good experience with them :whistling:. So i hope it turns out to be true cause i paid $3,200.00 dollars for 6 along with mobile service to have them go to the yard and do them . Driving an RV through California down town is no fun . :banghead:

So my main question is what else do you guys call i should do? I've owned a 30 foot toy box for over 10 yrs. other then tires never really ran into other issues. SO i feel i have the basics but this Class A is a little intimidating .

Im having problems finding part numbers and just in general info , the RV stayed behind in Azusa California while all those things get worked and i had to come back to AZ .So any help is very accepted and highly appreciated . Thanks in advance .:popcorn:

MSHappyCampers 06-16-2021 02:37 PM

Congrats on the new rig! Let the adventure begin! :dance:

You can write down the make and model numbers of all the individual systems and Google for manuals.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless! :thumb::D

GCSuper 06-16-2021 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RayAZ (Post 5794205)
I just recently pulled the trigger on a used 2004 Holiday Rambler Scepter with 39,690 miles this Saturday. I hope it turned out for the best , here's the story behind it . The guy stopped using it 3 years ago and sat on the side of the house for that long and I'm calling it sat longer . I recently took it to Camping World for an oil change and service generator and also needed a new battery isolator. Got all that token care of , getting new tires put on tomorrow i went with 275/70/R22.5 Hankook tires . An i went with that tire cause the counter guy said he personally had good experience with them :whistling:. So i hope it turns out to be true cause i paid $3,200.00 dollars for 6 along with mobile service to have them go to the yard and do them . Driving an RV through California down town is no fun . :banghead:

So my main question is what else do you guys call i should do? I've owned a 30 foot toy box for over 10 yrs. other then tires never really ran into other issues. SO i feel i have the basics but this Class A is a little intimidating .

Im having problems finding part numbers and just in general info , the RV stayed behind in Azusa California while all those things get worked and i had to come back to AZ .So any help is very accepted and highly appreciated . Thanks in advance .:popcorn:

What brand of chassis is it ? I would never use CW to service the engine and generator. At least use a truck/heavy equipment shop.

wolfe10 06-16-2021 02:46 PM

Please post a picture of your coach's REAR TRAILING ARM.

There were a number of failures of the OE design.

From pictures, we can tell if yours are the newer/safer design or the failure-prone ones.

Outbound 06-16-2021 02:46 PM

Welcome to the forum, congrats on your new HR, they build a great coach.

RayAZ 06-16-2021 02:52 PM

I can once i get back and as in a failure , do you refer they snap and break? Gezzzz these were the things i was worries about and i guess i didn't do my homework long enough . :facepalm:

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfe10 (Post 5794220)

From pictures, we can tell if yours are the newer/safer design or the failure-prone ones.

windsorbill 06-16-2021 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfe10 (Post 5794220)

On the Sceptor? I don't think so.

RayAZ 06-16-2021 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GCSuper (Post 5794210)
What brand of chassis is it ? I would never use CW to service the engine and generator. At least use a truck/heavy equipment shop.

I kind of just went off what was available at the moment since California is still very Covid and just wanted to prep it to drive it back home to AZ . Where we exercise a little more freedom . What was your experience for CW to not wanna go there. Just curious

windsorbill 06-16-2021 02:57 PM

Quote:

Double check, it seems like the 275 tires are small for that coach, but maybe they put them on the 2004 models.

I wouldn't use camping world either. If you need anymore work done, use these guys, just a little ways down the 10 freeway. https://www.redlandstruckservice.com/

Besides oil, I'd replace all fluids in both generator and engine. Send samples out to a reputable testing service. Does coach have Aqua Hot?

windsorbill 06-16-2021 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RayAZ (Post 5794230)
I can once i get back and as in a failure , do you refer they snap and break? Gezzzz these were the things i was worries about and i guess i didn't do my homework long enough . :facepalm:

Trailing arm issues didn't effect the Sceptors. Only some of the lower tiered coaches.

You coach is a good solid coach. Maintenance is key. Hopefully PO took care of it. . Compared to your previous toy box, maintenance will be night and day.

RayAZ 06-16-2021 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by windsorbill (Post 5794239)
Double check, it seems like the 275 tires are small for that coach, but maybe they put them on the 2004 models.

I wouldn't use camping world either. If you need anymore work done, use these guys, just a little ways down the 10 freeway. https://www.redlandstruckservice.com/

Besides oil, I'd replace all fluids in both generator and engine. Send samples out to a reputable testing service. Does coach have Aqua Hot?

I double checked and the people at tire shop in La habra did too , we wanted to make sure since they had to order them. All I found online was from 2006 on up 295 was a common.

An i will be honest with you i don't even know what Aqua Hot is lol sorry new to the game so please school me.

RayAZ 06-16-2021 03:23 PM

what about for serpentine belt and also AC belt ? i found something on here on the search bar but had several part numbers . TIA

momdoc 06-16-2021 03:39 PM

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new coach. The learning curve is very long but thankfully only steep in the beginning.

Second bit of advice. Stay away from Camping World.

Good luck and enjoy the adventure!

RayAZ 06-16-2021 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by momdoc (Post 5794294)
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new coach. The learning curve is very long but thankfully only steep in the beginning.

Second bit of advice. Stay away from Camping World.

Good luck and enjoy the adventure!

I sure will , thanks a lot for all the positive feed back and also minor strokes :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

windsorbill 06-16-2021 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RayAZ (Post 5794274)
what about for serpentine belt and also AC belt ? i found something on here on the search bar but had several part numbers . TIA

It's a good idea to replace belts. I carry a spare. Easiest way is just take the belt off and go down to napa or ? and get spares.

Take a picture of the engine BEFORE you take belts off. Easier to route the new one back on.

If you have regular space furnaces (propane), then you will NOT have Aqua Hot. If you have AH, read up on it.

Notn2bars 06-16-2021 06:41 PM

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new MH. The people on this forum have no equal. We purchased a 2000 Monaco Dynasty a year ago and the knowledge base that is shared will be invaluable to you as you learn about your coach. I don't know of a single issue that might occur that hasn't been experienced by someone on the forum. Ditto on CW I will not do business with them either. Had a bad purchase experience, small item but bad experience.

JJTL 06-16-2021 07:42 PM

Welcome to the forums Ray, and congrats on the new to you coach!

A few other items to check off the top of my head, specially since the coach has been sitting for a few years. Ideally, itís better to have a coach with more miles and has been used regularly. When these coaches sit, thatís when the to do list gets long quickly.

Check other fluids like transmission, coolant and hydraulic. I would check all the roof sealants and make sure everything up top looks tight and sealed.

Havenít seen any mention of batteries. Have these been checked? If they have been sitting unused for years, good chance these will need to be replaced.

The chassis air system should be checked, including all the air bags. Again if a coach has sat for awhile, very common for these rubber components to degrade and cause leaks. Itís next to impossible to fix every minor air leak, but getting the major ones to the point when the air holds in the system for a few days should be the goal.

Do a careful check of the plumbing system. Again, without knowing how well the coach was stored, itís possible some water leaks might show themselves.

Good news is once you do a compete once over, you should get to a nice baseline and have a high quality, well built coach that will last you many many years.

All the best!
Josh

windsorbill 06-16-2021 08:48 PM

RayAZ,

Since your from AZ, Keep an eye out on this forum for Quartzsite. Talk will start this fall and the dates are usually mid to late January 2022. You'll learn so much there and meet great people too. Got something broken and you can usually get several people to help fix it.

RayAZ 06-16-2021 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJTL (Post 5794480)
Welcome to the forums Ray, and congrats on the new to you coach!

A few other items to check off the top of my head, specially since the coach has been sitting for a few years. Ideally, itís better to have a coach with more miles and has been used regularly. When these coaches sit, thatís when the to do list gets long quickly.

Check other fluids like transmission, coolant and hydraulic. I would check all the roof sealants and make sure everything up top looks tight and sealed.

Havenít seen any mention of batteries. Have these been checked? If they have been sitting unused for years, good chance these will need to be replaced.

The chassis air system should be checked, including all the air bags. Again if a coach has sat for awhile, very common for these rubber components to degrade and cause leaks. Itís next to impossible to fix every minor air leak, but getting the major ones to the point when the air holds in the system for a few days should be the goal.

Do a careful check of the plumbing system. Again, without knowing how well the coach was stored, itís possible some water leaks might show themselves.

Good news is once you do a compete once over, you should get to a nice baseline and have a high quality, well built coach that will last you many many years.

All the best!
Josh

I will be doing all the items listed as soon as i get back to CA ,

6 new batteries ( check )
oil change ( check )
coolant (check )

Thank you for all the homework i really appreciate it as i would like to make sure i fix all to use this coach for a while to come . :thumb:

RayAZ 06-16-2021 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by windsorbill (Post 5794555)
RayAZ,

Since your from AZ, Keep an eye out on this forum for Quartzsite. Talk will start this fall and the dates are usually mid to late January 2022. You'll learn so much there and meet great people too. Got something broken and you can usually get several people to help fix it.

Thank you for that info , i actually was planning on making that my first spot to drive out to and take the UTV out once it cools down. I have about a 2.5 hr drive.:dance::dance::dance:

kenney58 06-17-2021 11:01 AM

I see that you had mentioned that a plastic dash face could be bought. Would you mind telling me where. I have a 2000 Monaco Dynasty that has a broken edges just like you mentioned yours was.

2upServant 06-29-2021 02:07 PM

Ray Z I fall in the category of never using CW service as well. They replaced landing gear charged me for a new set. one was bent they stated I bent it when I picked it up. replaced the bent one with a used one. My slide out had grooves underneath from broken Rollers. they had no idea how to fix it. I had to tell them how to fix it. Find a local delaer that supports your coach or a certified brand repair shop. I use a local company that hs serviced every RV I have owned living in Texas. Hankook tires are good tires, I run them on drive tires as well as trailer tires. Steer tires were replaced on the road when I blew a steering tire. which resulted in an accident. Safe travels.

Rube 06-29-2021 02:13 PM

Colton truck terminal is a great place for our diesel pushers. They keep great records and will thoroughly inspect your rig and give recommendations

ctundra 06-29-2021 06:09 PM

Replace fuel filters. Buy a set of spare fuel filters and keep in the coach when traveling. hopefully there isn't much fuel in the tank, this would be best since the fuel will be stale. When you fuel up be sure to add a good quality additive that can deal with diesel fuel algae. be sure to understand how to drain the water separator, and do it daily for the first few tanks of fuel. learn how to replace your fuel filters and carry proper size filter wrench. read the owners manual that comes with the coach, cover to cover multiple times. good luck and happy trails.

Timaz 06-29-2021 06:35 PM

RayAZ I take you live in Phoenix metro so the best place for your motorhome service will be Massy Diesel. They have been certified by Monaco and just about everybody else for years. Plan ahead, they stay busy. When you call them ask for Tom. He runs the motorhome side of the business. I live in Mesa, but I won't be home until Late Oct or early Nov...guess why?

Tim

Rcsc80 06-29-2021 07:25 PM

Maintenance on your 2004

Quote:

Donít forget to service the Allison, switch it to synthetic oil, replace the internal filters. Probably still has original fluid.
Rear end and front wheel hubs need a little loving too, they have gear lube in them.

RayAZ 06-30-2021 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rcsc80 (Post 5811923)
Donít forget to service the Allison, switch it to synthetic oil, replace the internal filters. Probably still has original fluid.
Rear end and front wheel hubs need a little loving too, they have gear lube in them.

OK Thanks for that pointer really I'm a little over whelmed how massive everything is . Its a tad bigger then anything on my dodge dually. :laugh:

RayAZ 06-30-2021 04:56 PM

IM working at the moment on trying to get my generator going , its a Onan quiet diesel 7500 . Ordered me a service kit from amazon and gonna get that going , all she does it crank, crank but doesn't turn over . Im thinking of use doing a complete overhaul on it to just start fresh. I don't know much but know common sense . Would one major factor be the glow plugs? An lets consider this thing sat at least 5-6 years , previous owner said 3-4 years and i call BS.

Rcsc80 07-06-2021 06:10 AM

No Run Onan

Before you start overhauling the Onan. Check to make sure youíre getting fuel to it. The fuel transfer pump may be varnished up from sitting for six years. If the diesel in the tank is six years old, pump it out, add new fuel then add conditioner. You can buy Power System at Walmart, treat according to quantity of fuel, great product. Good luck!

pflightnut 07-06-2021 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rcsc80 (Post 5820186)
Before you start overhauling the Onan. Check to make sure youíre getting fuel to it. The fuel transfer pump may be varnished up from sitting for six years. If the diesel in the tank is six years old, pump it out, add new fuel then add conditioner. You can buy Power System at Walmart, treat according to quantity of fuel, great product. Good luck!

I don't know about holiday Rambler, but on my Monaco if the fuel is less than 40 gallons out of the 100 the tank holds, then it is below the pick up tube for the generator and the generator won't run. Also, after sitting for a good while, the fuel system may need priming, which requires holding the generator switch down for 30 to 60 seconds before it will start.

RayAZ 07-06-2021 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rcsc80 (Post 5820186)

Yes the fuel was drained out and conditioner was added , also i do have fuel flow as far as the fuel filter out port. Still messing with it and might just have to take it to Lake Havasu to the closes tech according to Onan recommendations.

Thanks again !!!

RayAZ 07-06-2021 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pflightnut (Post 5820335)
I don't know about holiday Rambler, but on my Monaco if the fuel is less than 40 gallons out of the 100 the tank holds, then it is below the pick up tube for the generator and the generator won't run. Also, after sitting for a good while, the fuel system may need priming, which requires holding the generator switch down for 30 to 60 seconds before it will start.

An yes i topped off the fuel which was 3/4 tank when i got back from California. I did also try to prime it for quite a bit perhaps 5-6X.

96 Wideglide 07-06-2021 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctundra (Post 5811798)
Replace fuel filters. Buy a set of spare fuel filters and keep in the coach when traveling. hopefully there isn't much fuel in the tank, this would be best since the fuel will be stale. When you fuel up be sure to add a good quality additive that can deal with diesel fuel algae. be sure to understand how to drain the water separator, and do it daily for the first few tanks of fuel. learn how to replace your fuel filters and carry proper size filter wrench. read the owners manual that comes with the coach, cover to cover multiple times. good luck and happy trails.

^This^

I would give it a good dose of fuel biocide, and have extra fuel filters at the ready. Also a strap wrench that will fit these filters, and a jerry can of fresh diesel to pre-fill.

153stars 07-06-2021 10:58 AM

People get 12K hours without major engine overhaul. Belts are good idea. Glow plugs don't go bad sitting.
Lift to injector pump is most likely issue or needing a good air purge. The fuel inlet is about 1/4 tank up so goes empty . Edit... I see others chimed in with same info beside purging the the air out. There might be an air bleed at injector pump . It may take a minimum pressure not like it's filling a lawn tractor carb bowl.
Quote:

Originally Posted by RayAZ (Post 5813260)
IM working at the moment on trying to get my generator going , its a Onan quiet diesel 7500 . Ordered me a service kit from amazon and gonna get that going , all she does it crank, crank but doesn't turn over . Im thinking of use doing a complete overhaul on it to just start fresh. I don't know much but know common sense . Would one major factor be the glow plugs? An lets consider this thing sat at least 5-6 years , previous owner said 3-4 years and i call BS.

RayAZ 07-06-2021 06:37 PM

Thank you so much for everyones input , you guys have definitely instilled a lot of confidence in figuring out this with your guys help . I hate to take it to a shop cause i feel defeated but i also understand when its time to wave the white flag. I will continue on and keep everyone posted . Thanks again and everyone have a great evening .

Wadell 07-06-2021 07:01 PM

Did you change the fuel filter on the generator? Little square thing in the hatch under the generator. I have had to change that more than the engine filters. Mostly as it clogs the little prime pump has a much harder time pushing the fuel thru that filter. While I was down there I did push the prime switch and made sure I had fuel flow.

While changing my fuel sending unit, I could see the generator pickup tube was rusted. Want to change that, havent had the chance yet, but there is a chance the pick up could be broken... checking for flow at the filter would tell you if it was picking fuel up.

RayAZ 07-08-2021 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wadell (Post 5821122)
Did you change the fuel filter on the generator? Little square thing in the hatch under the generator. I have had to change that more than the engine filters. Mostly as it clogs the little prime pump has a much harder time pushing the fuel thru that filter. While I was down there I did push the prime switch and made sure I had fuel flow.

While changing my fuel sending unit, I could see the generator pickup tube was rusted. Want to change that, havent had the chance yet, but there is a chance the pick up could be broken... checking for flow at the filter would tell you if it was picking fuel up.

10-4 i sure did and just ordered me 3 from amazon to store on coach. I am definitely taking everything in and trying to get to it but right now we have 117-120 degree heat so there very little i can do without catching a heat stroke.

RayAZ 07-09-2021 01:05 PM

Well got one thing checked off the list , the new vacuum pump came in got it swopped out and now the AC blows through the top vents and not just the defrost . Heres where it was located , hope it helps someone in the future.

RayAZ 07-09-2021 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RayAZ (Post 5824980)
Well got one thing checked off the list , the new vacuum pump came in got it swopped out and now the AC blows through the top vents and not just the defrost . Heres where it was located , hope it helps someone in the future.

Now it won't let me upload a picture

CLIFFTALL 07-09-2021 01:08 PM

Please see post # 8

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f62/foru...tml#post477709

Quote:

Originally Posted by RayAZ (Post 5824981)
Now it won't let me upload a picture

pduggs 07-09-2021 04:04 PM

Did anyone mention slide bottoms? Monacoís are notorious for rotted slide bottoms. Make sure all joints are sealed at the bottom of the side slide walls. Check too the roof belt line, both top and bottom and seal as needed. This will prevent water intrusion and rotten wood.

RayAZ 07-11-2021 10:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Think i got it figured out , here's she lays on the firewall

RayAZ 07-22-2021 10:56 AM

Well i on the brinks of waving the white flag haha , so now the generator starts and stays on for maybe 5 minutes and then i hear a click and shuts off . So in the first compartment driver-side i have a box with a ton of fuses and relays , number 33 relay keeps clicking states (gen slide-out) could it be if the generator is pulled out there some kind of safety mechanism on it? Im mind boggled by this , maybe i just have to forfeit my ego and take it to a cummins shop. :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Timaz 07-22-2021 12:50 PM

Cummins would be the last place I would go. JMHO. Are you sure you have your Generator auto start/stop off.

Tim

RayAZ 07-22-2021 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timaz (Post 5842123)
Cummins would be the last place I would go. JMHO. Are you sure you have your Generator auto start/stop off.

Tim

I wouldn't even know where to locate that at , on one of the literatures i was reading that did cross by but said nothing about where that switch is. Any help is appreciated

Im in Bullhead City, AZ so if you know of someone close by please feel free to recommend them to me. There is a shop in Lake Havasu but has horrible reviews.

Timaz 07-22-2021 06:21 PM

It will be in your invertor/charger manual along with instruction on how to use it.

Tim

I hope you are staying cool.

RayAZ 07-22-2021 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timaz (Post 5842574)
It will be in your invertor/charger manual along with instruction on how to use it.

Tim

I hope you are staying cool.

Thank you Tim will do those steps and you can't run away from this heat so i just throw a canopy over the front and go to town. A lot of water and blocks of ice inside my swamp cooler . :thumb:

RayAZ 07-22-2021 10:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Forgot to post about this guy here , as soon as he generator dies this guy keeps flicking on and off any idea what could be causing this guy to act up? I look on the backside of the fuse board but doesn't show anything on those relays. An the guy i got the RV from was suppose to mail me all manuals and he's been riding the dog and doesn't send anything.

Timaz 07-23-2021 06:55 AM

You should put this in your signature so we don't have to go back to your first post to see what coach you have. 2004 Holiday Rambler Scepter

Do a google search for your model of inverter/charger
manual. It should be there as a pdf

Tim

bubby124 07-23-2021 07:28 AM

If your rig has the auto generator start stop look to see if the quiet times is set that will shut your unit off about the time it starts generating power

RayAZ 07-23-2021 12:36 PM

10-4 thanks a lot for all your help !! its so appreciated , beers on me !!!

RayAZ 07-23-2021 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timaz (Post 5843042)
You should put this in your signature so we don't have to go back to your first post to see what coach you have. 2004 Holiday Rambler Scepter

Do a google search for your model of inverter/charger
manual. It should be there as a pdf

Tim

I don't think i have enough perk son the forum can't change or add a signature :popcorn:. An i will definitely google and google

pflightnut 07-23-2021 07:52 PM

@RayAZ - this may be of interest to you: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/isolator-defeat-relay-128300.html

I can't get my signature to work either... at least you included the info in your post... and one click navigates to the top, so I'm not sure why the fuss.

RayAZ 07-23-2021 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pflightnut (Post 5843945)
@RayAZ - this may be of interest to you: https://www.irv2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128300

I can't get my signature to work either... at least you included the info in your post... and one click navigates to the top, so I'm not sure why the fuss.

THANK YOU SO MUCH for that @pflightnut , I'm slowly improving my scenario with a lot of research on the web and spending money. :dance::dance: