iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Monaco Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/)
-   -   New owner (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/new-owner-541492.html)

windsorbill 06-16-2021 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RayAZ (Post 5794274)
what about for serpentine belt and also AC belt ? i found something on here on the search bar but had several part numbers . TIA

It's a good idea to replace belts. I carry a spare. Easiest way is just take the belt off and go down to napa or ? and get spares.

Take a picture of the engine BEFORE you take belts off. Easier to route the new one back on.

If you have regular space furnaces (propane), then you will NOT have Aqua Hot. If you have AH, read up on it.

Notn2bars 06-16-2021 06:41 PM

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new MH. The people on this forum have no equal. We purchased a 2000 Monaco Dynasty a year ago and the knowledge base that is shared will be invaluable to you as you learn about your coach. I don't know of a single issue that might occur that hasn't been experienced by someone on the forum. Ditto on CW I will not do business with them either. Had a bad purchase experience, small item but bad experience.

JJTL 06-16-2021 07:42 PM

Welcome to the forums Ray, and congrats on the new to you coach!

A few other items to check off the top of my head, specially since the coach has been sitting for a few years. Ideally, itís better to have a coach with more miles and has been used regularly. When these coaches sit, thatís when the to do list gets long quickly.

Check other fluids like transmission, coolant and hydraulic. I would check all the roof sealants and make sure everything up top looks tight and sealed.

Havenít seen any mention of batteries. Have these been checked? If they have been sitting unused for years, good chance these will need to be replaced.

The chassis air system should be checked, including all the air bags. Again if a coach has sat for awhile, very common for these rubber components to degrade and cause leaks. Itís next to impossible to fix every minor air leak, but getting the major ones to the point when the air holds in the system for a few days should be the goal.

Do a careful check of the plumbing system. Again, without knowing how well the coach was stored, itís possible some water leaks might show themselves.

Good news is once you do a compete once over, you should get to a nice baseline and have a high quality, well built coach that will last you many many years.

All the best!
Josh

windsorbill 06-16-2021 08:48 PM

RayAZ,

Since your from AZ, Keep an eye out on this forum for Quartzsite. Talk will start this fall and the dates are usually mid to late January 2022. You'll learn so much there and meet great people too. Got something broken and you can usually get several people to help fix it.

RayAZ 06-16-2021 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJTL (Post 5794480)
Welcome to the forums Ray, and congrats on the new to you coach!

A few other items to check off the top of my head, specially since the coach has been sitting for a few years. Ideally, itís better to have a coach with more miles and has been used regularly. When these coaches sit, thatís when the to do list gets long quickly.

Check other fluids like transmission, coolant and hydraulic. I would check all the roof sealants and make sure everything up top looks tight and sealed.

Havenít seen any mention of batteries. Have these been checked? If they have been sitting unused for years, good chance these will need to be replaced.

The chassis air system should be checked, including all the air bags. Again if a coach has sat for awhile, very common for these rubber components to degrade and cause leaks. Itís next to impossible to fix every minor air leak, but getting the major ones to the point when the air holds in the system for a few days should be the goal.

Do a careful check of the plumbing system. Again, without knowing how well the coach was stored, itís possible some water leaks might show themselves.

Good news is once you do a compete once over, you should get to a nice baseline and have a high quality, well built coach that will last you many many years.

All the best!
Josh

I will be doing all the items listed as soon as i get back to CA ,

6 new batteries ( check )
oil change ( check )
coolant (check )

Thank you for all the homework i really appreciate it as i would like to make sure i fix all to use this coach for a while to come . :thumb:

RayAZ 06-16-2021 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by windsorbill (Post 5794555)
RayAZ,

Since your from AZ, Keep an eye out on this forum for Quartzsite. Talk will start this fall and the dates are usually mid to late January 2022. You'll learn so much there and meet great people too. Got something broken and you can usually get several people to help fix it.

Thank you for that info , i actually was planning on making that my first spot to drive out to and take the UTV out once it cools down. I have about a 2.5 hr drive.:dance::dance::dance:

kenney58 06-17-2021 11:01 AM

I see that you had mentioned that a plastic dash face could be bought. Would you mind telling me where. I have a 2000 Monaco Dynasty that has a broken edges just like you mentioned yours was.

2upServant 06-29-2021 02:07 PM

Ray Z I fall in the category of never using CW service as well. They replaced landing gear charged me for a new set. one was bent they stated I bent it when I picked it up. replaced the bent one with a used one. My slide out had grooves underneath from broken Rollers. they had no idea how to fix it. I had to tell them how to fix it. Find a local delaer that supports your coach or a certified brand repair shop. I use a local company that hs serviced every RV I have owned living in Texas. Hankook tires are good tires, I run them on drive tires as well as trailer tires. Steer tires were replaced on the road when I blew a steering tire. which resulted in an accident. Safe travels.

Rube 06-29-2021 02:13 PM

Colton truck terminal is a great place for our diesel pushers. They keep great records and will thoroughly inspect your rig and give recommendations

ctundra 06-29-2021 06:09 PM

Replace fuel filters. Buy a set of spare fuel filters and keep in the coach when traveling. hopefully there isn't much fuel in the tank, this would be best since the fuel will be stale. When you fuel up be sure to add a good quality additive that can deal with diesel fuel algae. be sure to understand how to drain the water separator, and do it daily for the first few tanks of fuel. learn how to replace your fuel filters and carry proper size filter wrench. read the owners manual that comes with the coach, cover to cover multiple times. good luck and happy trails.

Timaz 06-29-2021 06:35 PM

RayAZ I take you live in Phoenix metro so the best place for your motorhome service will be Massy Diesel. They have been certified by Monaco and just about everybody else for years. Plan ahead, they stay busy. When you call them ask for Tom. He runs the motorhome side of the business. I live in Mesa, but I won't be home until Late Oct or early Nov...guess why?

Tim

Rcsc80 06-29-2021 07:25 PM

Maintenance on your 2004

Quote:

Originally Posted by RayAZ (Post 5794205)
I just recently pulled the trigger on a used 2004 Holiday Rambler Scepter with 39,690 miles this Saturday. I hope it turned out for the best , here's the story behind it . The guy stopped using it 3 years ago and sat on the side of the house for that long and I'm calling it sat longer . I recently took it to Camping World for an oil change and service generator and also needed a new battery isolator. Got all that token care of , getting new tires put on tomorrow i went with 275/70/R22.5 Hankook tires . An i went with that tire cause the counter guy said he personally had good experience with them :whistling:. So i hope it turns out to be true cause i paid $3,200.00 dollars for 6 along with mobile service to have them go to the yard and do them . Driving an RV through California down town is no fun . :banghead:

So my main question is what else do you guys call i should do? I've owned a 30 foot toy box for over 10 yrs. other then tires never really ran into other issues. SO i feel i have the basics but this Class A is a little intimidating .

Im having problems finding part numbers and just in general info , the RV stayed behind in Azusa California while all those things get worked and i had to come back to AZ .So any help is very accepted and highly appreciated . Thanks in advance .:popcorn:

Donít forget to service the Allison, switch it to synthetic oil, replace the internal filters. Probably still has original fluid.
Rear end and front wheel hubs need a little loving too, they have gear lube in them.

RayAZ 06-30-2021 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rcsc80 (Post 5811923)
Donít forget to service the Allison, switch it to synthetic oil, replace the internal filters. Probably still has original fluid.
Rear end and front wheel hubs need a little loving too, they have gear lube in them.

OK Thanks for that pointer really I'm a little over whelmed how massive everything is . Its a tad bigger then anything on my dodge dually. :laugh:

RayAZ 06-30-2021 04:56 PM

IM working at the moment on trying to get my generator going , its a Onan quiet diesel 7500 . Ordered me a service kit from amazon and gonna get that going , all she does it crank, crank but doesn't turn over . Im thinking of use doing a complete overhaul on it to just start fresh. I don't know much but know common sense . Would one major factor be the glow plugs? An lets consider this thing sat at least 5-6 years , previous owner said 3-4 years and i call BS.