iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Navigation, Routes & Roads (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f42/)
-   -   Better way to get to through Houston to Austin TX (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f42/better-way-to-get-to-through-houston-to-austin-tx-541776.html)

SGhost 06-18-2021 03:30 PM

Better way to get to through Houston to Austin TX

Headed to Austin Texas from Florida (final destination Loveland,Colorado) and riding I-10 (Ugh). I know I-10 is bad but hating the thought of trying to get through Houston with a 5th wheel. Is there any point to taking 610 bypass to keep from having to go through downtown? I'm looking forward to this almost as much as gong through Atlanta (rather hit my foot with a hammer).

Any thoughts, insights, better ideas from you seasoned travelers???

Jake21 06-18-2021 03:37 PM

I would stay on 10 through town. Not bad at non rush hour times. I am not a fan of 610 as an option. Go south and hit traffic between 59 and 10. Go north and hit traffic at 610 and 45n.

hamm2018 06-18-2021 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SGhost (Post 5796887)
Headed to Austin Texas from Florida (final destination Loveland,Colorado) and riding I-10 (Ugh). I know I-10 is bad but hating the thought of trying to get through Houston with a 5th wheel. Is there any point to taking 610 bypass to keep from having to go through downtown? I'm looking forward to this almost as much as gong through Atlanta (rather hit my foot with a hammer).

We have taken our tri-axle toy hauler 5th wheel thru Houston 3 different times and no issues. Just try to go thru during non rush hour times.

Busskipper 06-18-2021 09:16 PM

Quote:

Can you put Texarkana - Paris - Amarillo - in then Loveland - we have done it many times - seems to be easy and avoid the big cities.

Just a thought,

twogypsies 06-18-2021 11:02 PM

Is Austin a necessary stop? If not, there are excellent secondary highways in Texas.

outlaw5067 06-18-2021 11:34 PM

Just take 10 through town... I've never done the bypass. Too much traffic & way out of the way to be worth it. Just time yourself hitting Houston during non rush-hour times... Takes about an hour-ish to get through... If you hit it during rush hour, be prepared for an extra hour or two...

Arch Hoagland 06-18-2021 11:39 PM

I've gone through Houston several times on a Sunday morning....Very little traffic on Sundays

Palmeris 06-19-2021 05:34 AM

I-10 or 610 not much difference in traffic during business hours, they both suck.
If you need to bypass Houston, you can take 8 north, It's the sam houston tollway, to 290 then 290 to Austin

DKRITTER 06-19-2021 05:57 AM

If'n it were me I'd take Beltway 8 around to 290. Stop in Brenham and get some ice cream.

I am a huge fan of tollways, it is a small price to pay for the benefit.

Busskipper 06-19-2021 09:15 AM

Quote:

Try this it will avoid so many of the issues we try to avoid - Traffic - Big Cities - https://www.bing.com/maps?osid=26dae...=2&form=S00027

Hope this helps - I would never even try I-10 when I coud Avoid it!

Best of Luck,

wolfe10 06-19-2021 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twogypsies (Post 5797287)
Is Austin a necessary stop? If not, there are excellent secondary highways in Texas.

Yes, please let us know if Austin is a planned/must stop so we can suggest alternate routes.

Jake21 06-19-2021 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DKRITTER (Post 5797362)
If'n it were me I'd take Beltway 8 around to 290. Stop in Brenham and get some ice cream.

I am a huge fan of tollways, it is a small price to pay for the benefit.

FYI to the OP, Beltway 8 is a tollway. The cash lane can get backed up pretty long.

kewlbreeze 07-14-2021 10:39 AM

BBQ

If you are going to Austin from Houston you can go to Luling TX and go to Original City Market BBQ....certianly on one of the best in TX (that is saying a lot).

Address: 633 E Davis St, Luling, TX 78648-2318

Phone: +1 830 875 9019

It is on the way to Austin - well sort of - :)

Or you can go to Lockhart, TX to Black's BBQ
215 N Main St, Lockhart, TX 78644-2121

Phone: +1 512 398 2712

Either way you are headed to the best we got to offer in the heart of Texas - where BBQ is a way of life!!! :thumb:

Then again - if you are in Austin - then Franklins is king - but be prepared to stand in line for an hour + (in the summer that can be really bad. )

(Unfortunately - the woke crowd of losers has taken up homelessness and possession of 6th street (well the whole town really) which is now a total wreck and dangerous - so be careful - the morons in Austin defunded the police.....:eek::facepalm:)

Dennis
Planet Houston

BTW - traffic in Houston works as long as you stay away from Rush hour........I-10 west of downtown is 22 lanes wide.....completely filled at rush hour but the rest of the day OK....Saturdays can be very busy.

Bhidalgo 07-14-2021 10:47 AM

Quote:

We went round trip in 8 days from FL to San Diego and back last month, Took 10 to 8 both ways. Be aware there is constructon on 10 just West of TX-LA state lines as well as the outskirts of Houston on both ends. 10 is a PITA in those areas with backed up traffic and narrow lanes.