iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Newmar Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/)
-   -   Cleaning Accuride Coated Aluminum Wheels—Water Spots (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/cleaning-accuride-coated-aluminum-wheels-water-spots-541966.html)

LK23 06-20-2021 08:46 AM

Cleaning Accuride Coated Aluminum Wheels—Water Spots

The campground sprinklers hit my rear wheels, leaving hard water spots. How best to remove the spots? The sticker on the coated wheels warns not to use abrasives. I used a solution of auto wash soap and vinegar but the spots are still there.

Thanks,

Rex

ThunderRidge 06-20-2021 10:30 AM

The Alcoa Dura-Bright Evo aluminum wheels on my coach just state pre-rinse after they are cooled down then use a dishwashing soap such as dawn with a soft brush. Then rinse off and dry with a soft cloth. I do use deionized water when I wash mine so I don’t worry about the spots or drying. They still look like new.

Since you already have the spots I would contact the wheel manufacturer and see what they suggest.

outlawten5 06-20-2021 10:39 AM

Try a cleaner wax and some elbow grease

ThunderRidge 06-20-2021 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by outlawten5 (Post 5798809)
Try a cleaner wax and some elbow grease

If the coating on the wheels is like the Dura-Bright then you don’t want anything abrasive. I believe that contacting the manufacturer is the safest bet to keep your wheels looking new.

deblas 06-20-2021 11:17 AM

Cleaning Accuride Coated Aluminum Wheels—Water Spots

1 Attachment(s)
Funny coming across your thread. I had the same issue on my Accuride wheels ,and just yesterday, I used a polish called White Diamonds and the Mothers Power Ball. About 10 minutes polishing with the ball and 15 buffing with clean rags.
The outcome was astonishing!!Attachment 332845

deblas 06-20-2021 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deblas (Post 5798871)
Funny coming across your thread. I had the same issue on my Accuride wheels ,and just yesterday, I used a polish called White Diamonds and the Mothers Power Ball. About 10 minutes polishing with the ball and 15 buffing with clean rags.
The outcome was astonishing!!Attachment 332845

And if you go this route, look for the power ball with the 10” extension. Super helpful on the rears. (It comes with a shorty already)

LK23 06-20-2021 12:16 PM

Please correct me if I am wrong but I don't think you want to use the Powerball with polish on the coated wheels since it might wear through the coating.

arcaguy 06-20-2021 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LK23 (Post 5798948)
Please correct me if I am wrong but I don't think you want to use the Powerball with polish on the coated wheels since it might wear through the coating.

I couldn't agree more. White diamonds is a polish which will remove the coating. The MSDS says that one of the ingredients is a metal oxide. By the color I'm thinking it's some oxide of an aluminum alloy. Aluminum oxide is used to make sand paper.

I would contact the manufacturer. If you don't do any good there I would try white vinegar again, but straight. Maybe one of those plastic (not metal) pot scrubbers for dishes. Good luck.

LK23 06-20-2021 12:44 PM

I read a post online suggesting the use of detailers clay. That seems like it might work and not be abrasive on the coating.

deblas 06-20-2021 01:19 PM

You all may be correct.
However, the PO used this stuff and technique for the first 15 years of its life and I’ll keep using it.Once a year, whether it needs it or not.

Good luck on finding your solution.

LK23 06-20-2021 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deblas (Post 5799006)
You all may be correct.
However, the PO used this stuff and technique for the first 15 years of its life and I’ll keep using it.Once a year, whether it needs it or not.

Good luck on finding your solution.

On coated or non-coated wheels?

Dutch Star Don 06-20-2021 02:09 PM

By the shine on those wheels, (deblas post) they look uncoated, just like my 2005 Diplomat looked. You can get the uncoated to shine like chrome. The coated wheels only look that way when wet.

I would just use wax. If that doesn't do it, try some CLR on a spot and see how it works. I've always had a jug of it in my garage, but never used it for much. Recently, those green filters in the Newmar faucets started plugging up. I pulled them out and let them soak for about an hour in CLR, since they have such small orifices. Wow.....worked like new again. You could see the calcium bubbling up.

RVStitchy 06-20-2021 02:47 PM

You mentioned water from a sprinkler system. Down here in Florida we have well water that leaves water spots from the minerals in the water. On walls and pavers it turns orange. On cars it shows up as water spots.

The best remedy is a light muriatic acid product that eats away the minerals. In the marine industry we use a product called On and Off. In Home Depot they have a Rust Remover product. I have used straight pool acid for house walls, driveway and paver areas.

You know it is working when it immediately foams up as it "eats" the minerals. You simply spray it on or wipe it on with a rag/sponge. Wait 30 seconds and hose it off. We are talking about a mild acid so wear gloves or rinse your hands immediately after every touch. I have no problems getting it temporarily on my hands with a rag or sponge. But if you don't rinse it off you will feel it on your skin within 10 minutes.

Caution on the Home Depot product. They have a "remover" and an "additive". The additive is only for people that have a system installed full time on their sprinklers. It does not work well as a remover. Make sure you are buying the remover.

Disclaimer - I have used all of these products on my car, RV paint, house and driveway. Never used it on the wheels. Personally I would if I noticed a problem - but have not tried it in that application. As always, maybe try a small spot first and then expand with confidence.

deblas 06-20-2021 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LK23 (Post 5799012)
On coated or non-coated wheels?

I couldn’t really answer that with certainty. I just saw that my wheels were Accuride when I was doing my polishing thing yesterday.

Didn’t know they came in coated and non coated as Don suggested.

Good luck