iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   How does one buy a used RV from a private seller? (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/how-does-one-buy-a-used-rv-from-a-private-seller-542381.html)

Dejus 06-22-2021 09:30 PM

How does one buy a used RV from a private seller?

I've been spending way too much time searching RV Trader for used DPs. It seems most of the listings I like are from private sellers (as opposed to dealers).

We're in the process of selling our house, and will buy the RV from the profit -- probably one around $300k in value.

But I was wondering what the logistics of that would be. Assuming we find a great-looking motorhome somewhere (we're looking nationwide, as there's bupkis in the Portland area), then what? Contact the seller, find out more info, and reserve it somehow?

We'd want to get it professionally inspected; hopefully we can find a nearby inspector that can see it in a timely fashion.

If it checks out, we'd drive or fly to the RV, take a look ourselves, pay in some way, get the title assigned to us, then drive it home.

But I'm unclear on (a) how we'd reserve it (no point in getting it inspected and flying out there if they sell to someone else in the meantime), (b) how we'd pay for it (cashiers check, I guess), (c) how the title would get assigned, and (d) other aspects I'm forgetting or not aware of.

When buying a house, we have a buyer's real estate agent to hold our hands. I kinda wish there were a buyer's RV agent... I guess a dealer is kinda like that, though they don't have the buyer's interest at heart. I've read several stories of nice experiences buying from private sellers, but the details are a mystery to me.

Massparanoia 06-22-2021 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dejus (Post 5802329)
I've been spending way too much time searching RV Trader for used DPs. It seems most of the listings I like are from private sellers (as opposed to dealers).

We're in the process of selling our house, and will buy the RV from the profit -- probably one around $300k in value.

But I was wondering what the logistics of that would be. Assuming we find a great-looking motorhome somewhere (we're looking nationwide, as there's bupkis in the Portland area), then what? Contact the seller, find out more info, and reserve it somehow?

We'd want to get it professionally inspected; hopefully we can find a nearby inspector that can see it in a timely fashion.

If it checks out, we'd drive or fly to the RV, take a look ourselves, pay in some way, get the title assigned to us, then drive it home.

But I'm unclear on (a) how we'd reserve it (no point in getting it inspected and flying out there if they sell to someone else in the meantime), (b) how we'd pay for it (cashiers check, I guess), (c) how the title would get assigned, and (d) other aspects I'm forgetting or not aware of.

When buying a house, we have a buyer's real estate agent to hold our hands. I kinda wish there were a buyer's RV agent... I guess a dealer is kinda like that, though they don't have the buyer's interest at heart. I've read several stories of nice experiences buying from private sellers, but the details are a mystery to me.

All your points you would negotiate with the seller. Think of it like buying a house.

A) The seller is probably going to want some sort of deposit to essentially take it off the market while you have it inspected. You're probably going to want to agree on a price prior to this, contingent on the inspection.

B) Again, negotiate with the seller. Wire transfer, cashiers check, crypto etc.

C) When you complete the sale, the seller gives you the signed title, you take it to your local DMV and register it, give uncle sam his piece, and head back to your new RV with plates in hand and drive it home.

txcpl 06-23-2021 05:01 AM

As Massparanoia says, it's all negotiable between you and the seller. If there is lien that needs to be satisfied, then going through a financial institution would be smart. We purchased a 5th wheel from an individual and met at his bank and met with bank representative, paid the seller who paid the bank note, and we received a clear title. Also, be sure that each of you know how the transfer of funds will take place.

Good luck and keep us posted.

jondrew55 06-23-2021 05:10 AM

I sold my DP privately. The buyer essentially paid off the bank (and I paid the bank the difference :( ). It’s a bit worrisome, but we developed a relationship with the buyers and in the end there was an element of trust involved. They also were taking a loan to buy the coach, so that made it a bit less risky for me.

I must however give one bit of advice, I actually prefer buying a used RV from a reputable dealer. I know I’m paying more, but a good dealer will inspect and repair the major items, usually provide a limited warranty, but most of all you get service preference from them. Getting any RV serviced these days is tough. The best I could do was get 6 weeks on my travel trailer from my dealer to get some bugs worked out. They won’t even make appointments is you have not bought from them. Just another thing to consider. I’m sure there are independent RV repair shops, but I’ve had spotty success with them.

Dejus 06-23-2021 10:29 AM

Thanks. Yes, everything is negotiable, though I'd be interested in reading about experiences of people who have done private selling (as a buyer or seller).

Interesting points about buying from a dealer instead. Though I've also read people saying that dealers don't necessarily do any significant checks, and don't know the history as well as a private seller would.

If we buy from some dealer in another state, and are traveling around full-time, possible preferential treatment from a dealer may not be that useful. Though it's certainly something to consider. Thanks for the advice.

gorgeguy 06-23-2021 11:01 AM

When I bought my DP Allegro Bus (which am putting back on the market) eight years ago, we paid with a personal check and the seller held the title until the check cleared the bank and then mailed the title to us. With it being so easy to get a phony cashiers check, some sellers may be unwilling to release the title until the funds are actually in the bank. A wire transfer is good but I am under the impression it has to be originated at the buyers bank and if you are some distance away, that might be difficult. I sold a travel trailer and got a bank draft, but only copied the title and give a bill of sale until the funds were actually in the bank.

Fast E 06-23-2021 03:42 PM

Inspection reports are valuable. Should your deal fall through, and the seller wants to know what's wrong with the unit, that inspection you paid for is your's. $$

Crasher 06-23-2021 04:45 PM

If I were wanting to buy from a private party, I would want several pictures and a long conversation with the owner. From that, if I liked what I had seen and heard, I would ask the seller if he would agree to hold it for me to either go there personally or allow an inspector to check it out. I would probably just go there and check it out myself. If I liked what I saw, agree on a price subject to a professional inspection. Prior to going, I would have the funds in the bank to be wire transferred if it passed inspection. I purchased our second coach from a widow after driving four hours to look at it. It was what we wanted. I wrote a check and she signed over the title to me. Trust on both sides.

gmc70 06-23-2021 05:02 PM

I personally prefer to buy from private party. When looking at MH's in the past the dealers are so full of BS that I can't believe anyone would fall for. I don't really know if there is a "good " dealer out there. Certainly not in Fl. I realize that a newbie might not know what to look for in a MH but I have had them for many years and do all my own work. We have bought our last 2 MH's from private parties and gotten good dealers and fair prices.

Massparanoia 06-23-2021 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dejus (Post 5802943)
Thanks. Yes, everything is negotiable, though I'd be interested in reading about experiences of people who have done private selling (as a buyer or seller).

Interesting points about buying from a dealer instead. Though I've also read people saying that dealers don't necessarily do any significant checks, and don't know the history as well as a private seller would.

If we buy from some dealer in another state, and are traveling around full-time, possible preferential treatment from a dealer may not be that useful. Though it's certainly something to consider. Thanks for the advice.

I sold my National to a private party before I bought our Newmar. The encounter went exactly as I described earlier. They opted to come inspect the RV themselves rather than use someone independent, but otherwise it was all the same.

gnvrvin 06-23-2021 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jondrew55 (Post 5802519)
I sold my DP privately. The buyer essentially paid off the bank (and I paid the bank the difference :( ). Itís a bit worrisome, but we developed a relationship with the buyers and in the end there was an element of trust involved. They also were taking a loan to buy the coach, so that made it a bit less risky for me.

I must however give one bit of advice, I actually prefer buying a used RV from a reputable dealer. I know Iím paying more, but a good dealer will inspect and repair the major items, usually provide a limited warranty, but most of all you get service preference from them. Getting any RV serviced these days is tough. The best I could do was get 6 weeks on my travel trailer from my dealer to get some bugs worked out. They wonít even make appointments is you have not bought from them. Just another thing to consider. Iím sure there are independent RV repair shops, but Iíve had spotty success with them.

Had the exact opposite buying from a large RV dealer.
We had a list of items to be taken care of
Would not pick it up until they completed list
After almost two years of round and round we lawyered up
Had to sign non disclosure about settlement
But we were made whole....terrible ordeal

Do your research on models you want and get back to the owners forums here or elsewhere bfor things to look for

Greg

GFC 06-24-2021 01:32 PM

Dejus,

About 3 months ago we bought a used DP from a private party in Hood River, OR. I talked with him on the phone then drove over to see it from our home in Pasco, WA.

The coach was clean and he said the reason he was selling was his wife died 2 years prior and he just didn't use it any more.

At this point price was not even discussed. I told him I was interested and wrote him a check for $5,000 to show I was interested and he could take it off the market. I also told him I wanted to get an NRVIA inspection done and that would take about a week. He was OK with that.

The inspection came back clean except for rear axle tires, smoke detector, propane detector were outdated. Oil samples were taken and sent in.
After a few days the results of the oil samples came back clean.

The seller had a loan on the RV through a nationwide bank that had to be paid off. We called the bank and explained the situation to them. They would not release the title to me even though the seller gave them permission.

At this point I was going to write a pretty big check to him for the agreed price and trusted him to send me the title when he got it from his bank. BIG amount of trust there but I felt I am a pretty good judge of character.

About 3 weeks later the title arrived all properly endorsed.

We just finished our first overnighter and couldn't be happier with the coach.

ransil 06-24-2021 01:43 PM

I found one ,flew in to see it, negotiated price, gave a deposit sale depends on clean inspection , finance company (broker) handling the pay off, payoff will be after me doing a final inspection at pickup,plates over nighted, once transaction is cleared.

Bobby F 06-24-2021 02:06 PM

One small point: If someone shows you a clean title in hand, ignore it and do a title search at their DMV. Liens could have been put in place since that "clean" title was printed.

The DMV people tend to be very helpful with this. It's their job.

WalkTheWalk 06-24-2021 05:07 PM

Just went thru this last month. A listing on RV trader, 2 hours from home.

Found a like new 27 ft Class A. The private seller was using an RV brokerage, who acted much like a realtor would when selling a home.

We paid $900+ for a full RV inspection by a well qualified certified RV inspector, who also sampled and tested 4 fluids in the RV (oil, coolant, tranny, etc.)

The RV broker had a 3 or 4 page purchase agreement. They asked for a 10% deposit, but I said "No, thats too much", as it would've been $8500. As a retired realtor, I told them a $3K deposit was the largest I'd ever collected, so I deposited $1500. (Lawsuits are born of large deposits forfeited, and he who has the gold makes the rules.)

We had 15 days to inspect and back out and keep my deposit per the contract.

We then had to go back after the inspection for a final walk thru, test drive and sign an acceptance doc.

They had clear title in hand, so we did not have to go to the bank to do the final payment. In fact, due to logistics, I had to wire the final payment to the broker's escrow account the day before the walk thru/final acceptance.

The seller kept their tag as required in FL, and we drove the RV home with no tag, but our car was right behind the RV, so no one saw that. We had a Bill of Sale, title and temp tag on paper. We even had put their RV on our insurance for the final test drive before acceptance, so we were fully insured from the get go.

The real tag arrived in a week from the DMV.

After spending all that $$ with Orlando's best RV inspector, it turns out he never went under the coach. He took selfie style pics on a stick of the undercarriage instead.

I could've brought my own creeper and gone under it myself if I known. I sure should have.

The inspector missed the leaking orange Hydraulic return hoses. Lippert leveling systems uses cheap orange thermoplastic hoses for the return lines from the leveling jacks. The Lippert system started alarming about 10 miles from our house. The pump was surging on and off.

We discovered the Hydraulic fluid was a quart low. How did the inspector miss this? Then we crawled under the coach on a creeper and found Hydraulic fluid on every Hydraulic hose. No major leaks, just minor ones at every fitting where the orange return hoses connect.

This is a very common problem, too, although both Coachmen and Lippert deny knowing its a widespread defect and safety issue.

We have owned this like new RV for 2 months and haven't been able to take it anywhere. It's in the shop this week (week 2) getting those crappy cheapo Lippert orange hoses replaced with 5000 PSI rubber hoses.

The cost is astronomical. $2700 plus tax. Mostly lots of labor and 4 or 5 new custom made hoses.

THIS is the one critical thing to check on your new RV. If it has electronic levelers, be sure to exercise them multiple times, check the level of the fluid, and use a creeper to check for leaky Hydraulic hoses.

I would not have closed the deal if I had known about this issue. We found a service ticket where Campers Inn RV had looked at the surging pump in February and had not found the problem. So, the seller likely knew something.

We'd really like to sue the seller or the inspector. It's a major defect.

However, this same defect is present on any coach with a Lippert automatic leveling system. It's inherent since even the new ones use these cheap orange hoses.

All in all, it was just like buying a Fannie Mae foreclosure home, complete with a less than full disclosure and latent defects.

I wish I'd offered $3K less.

Bottom line: Get an inspection. Bring your own creeper and check underneath, if your inspector doesn't. There's lots of room under there.

Ensure they have clear title. Offer only a minimal earnest money deposit and insist on a 10-15 day inspection window, as inspectors are booked up in advance.

Ask for all service tickets before you close. Read them carefully.

Make sure the seller demonstrates that everything works, and have them arrange to plug it in to shore power if possible.

Check the date codes and brand of tires. Look for cracks, abnormal wear. Hell, one tire for my rig costs $450 and there are 6 of them. If the tires are worn down, that's $3K right there for tires.

That's my two cents.

Winemaker2 06-24-2021 06:06 PM

Related thread
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/negotiating-a-purchase-542382.html

Mike-NM 06-24-2021 06:22 PM

I sold my Class C to a guy from AZ the other day who saw it sitting in the driveway and stopped and ask if I would sell it. I had not used it in almost a year as we have a class A. We negotiated, came to a price, checked with the wife "you good with this price" she agreed then I gave him a bill of sale with "as is no implied warranties as is" written on bill of sale and had him initial next to that "as is" and photographed his DL on the bill of sale, had him give me his cell number and I texted him while he was standing there to make sure the number was good and he then gave me cash. I told the wife take it down the street to the bank and have them check the 100's for any counterfeit bills. She called me said the bank said it is good and deposited it in my saving account. Once I got confirmation it was not counterfeit. I signed the title over to him, took my license plates off of it, gave him the keys and he drove it away. Called my insurance company the next day and cancelled the insurance. Couple days later turned the tags into the DMV. That was the end of that.... oh.. then I updated my signature line and removed it. :cool:

gorgeguy 06-25-2021 09:23 AM

I have my class A Tiffin Allegro Bus on the market now, it will be interesting to see the reactions and demands of the interested parties. I have bought and sold seven other RVs over the years and all were smooth smooth transactions. None of the previous buyers paid for an inspection just as I have never paid for an inspection. This is an interesting thread to see what others have done.

Coldjensens 06-25-2021 12:03 PM

I would fly out and look at it before hiring an inspector. No point in paying an inspector if you do not like it. Before hiring someone,, look a the layout, condition, colors, smell, etc. Sometimes they smell awful and you would never consider buying it (mold, cats, cigarettes, meth lab etc.).

Buying FSBO is not necessarily cheaper than a dealer. Owners base their pricing on what they see dealers asking for similar motorhomes. Dealer prices are hopeful prices, not real prices. The hope a farmer from Iowa will waltz in without knowing they can negotiate and offer 100% or 90% of asking and think they got a deal. You are always going to negotiate, sometimes you will negotiate a lot. Private owners often lack the sophistication to realize the price they see on the dealer's website may be 25% or more higher than the actual sale price.

When we visited a large dealer in Texas (I think it was PPE) we came across a crew cleaning a used motorhome that had just come in. They were taking everything apart and literally scrubbing the nooks and crannies with toothbrushes (or larger brushes where practical). The motorhomes we saw on the lot were spotless. Not so with FSBO ones we looked at. They also fix the little things that you might not even notice.

An advantage of FSBO is they often throw in the stuff they have collected over the years. Camp chairs, outdoor rug, ice chests, leveler blocks, lanterns, sometimes even pots and pans, off, citronella candles, folding table, tools, necessary fluids, games, etc. One even had a DVD movie collection included. Dealers toss all that stuff. It does not add up to a ton of money, but it can be significant. More critically, you save the time to figure out that you need those things and then the time to run around to find and buy them - as well as the cost of buying them. Sometimes with FSBO you might find a minor repair needed that will result in a big reduction in the price, where the dealer would make the minor repair to avoid the big reduction in price.

If it is a major dealer with a stellar reputation, they are not going to risk that reputation just to rook you out of a few extra thousand. It is not worth it to them. They spend hundreds of thousands building a great reputation. Unless it was a huge bargain, I would prefer buying from dealer. If you are very risk tolerant and budget conscious, you might look at auctions. We just saw a 2005 (I think) Monaco Signature Castle VI (or was it IV?) sell at an auction for $111,000. Market for those is about $150,000 - $180,000. If we were going to buy an RV right now, I probably would have bought that one.

You also have more recourse with a dealer than with an independent owner. One very effective means of leverage with a dealer is you can picket their dealership if they try to rip you off. An individual will usually not care if you picket their home. For a dealer, quickly fixing some minor items is no big deal. An individual is not going to fix it for you. They will either have it fixed as cheaply as possible, give you money and tell you to find someone to fix it, or more likely, tell you to go pound sand.

TriMoot 06-25-2021 05:38 PM

Quote:

I think you probably already have some good advise from all the other folks here, and I'll tell you our experience.

We've finally found one we wanted and have had so many of them slip through our fingers...we just didn't pull the trigger quick enough I guess.

So on this one, we talked to the owner, asked all the usual questions, did a video walk through and then made a full price offer. You really have to in this market! Plus this was a very nice rig and as other folks have said, you kind of start a relationship with the people. We could tell these folks were honest and straight forward, and they've proved it numerous times.

I mentioned I was concerned about hopping in it and driving 2500 miles back to our home without getting an inspection done, so we would have to schedule one before we even got there. He volunteered to higher a mobile tech and have them come in and inspect all the hoses, belts and filters and have them replaced as needed. Even the air filter, which on these big rigs (45 feet) are very expensive.

He just called today and said that the Ubers and Lyft's in the area are not very timely, and offered the use of his truck while we were there. That's pretty telling.

So we leave tomorrow, to look at it. If for some reason it doesn't meet our expectation, I know we'll get most of our deposit back, as I would offer to give him a few hundred dollars for his trouble.

But yes, it's difficult to figure how to do it. Although in your price range, $300K I think a written contract would be wise.

Good luck and happy hunting. It took us almost two years to find our 'dream rig'.

Sonic 06-26-2021 04:58 PM

Similar to others, we found our four year old Ventana (2,000 miles away) on RV Trader and sent an e-mail to a very responsive seller who answered all of my questions.
The motorhome had been stored in a barn on his property and plugged in when not in use. He also had receipts for all of the maintenance and warranty repairs. House batteries were new as well.
We had a couple of enjoyable phone calls with the couple selling the motorhome, came to an agreement on price, and felt comfortable in proceeding, subject to an inspection.
He said he didnít need a deposit.

I hired a level 2 inspector who did a very thorough six hour inspection with an extensive write up and lot of pictures. He found only a few very minor issues that werenít worth renegotiating the price over.

We flew into Austin, checked out the coach and had our bank wire the money directly to the sellerís account. There were no loans or liens against the coach and we paid cash so the transaction was easy.

Being new to motorhomes, we hired a driving instructor to meet us at the point of sale and spent a day and a half of hands-on training.

Best of luck in your search, procurement and new adventure

murphylawe 06-27-2021 08:14 AM

Take a tube of K-Y... for both of you. The best part of a person-person sale, no one is happy, and no one is screwed.

NinaNJ 06-27-2021 09:08 AM

We flew into Austin, checked out the coach and had our bank wire the money directly to the sellerís account. There were no loans or liens against the coach and we paid cash so the transaction was easy.

Being new to motorhomes, we hired a driving instructor to meet us at the point of sale and spent a day and a half of hands-on training.

Best of luck in your search, procurement and new adventure[/QUOTE]

Sounds great - thanks for info. Were you out of state (sorry didn't look at your profie first) if so how did you register to drive it home? We are in the same boat (mostly) when searching RV trader :)

arcaguy 06-27-2021 09:47 AM

I just went through this a couple of months ago with an out-of-state seller and with a loan on the coach. The biggest fly in the ointment was Ally Bank who will not take a wire transfer to pay off a loan. I literally told them the were doing business in the 19th century. I digress.
Fortunately the coach I bought was about 6 hours from my home in Michigan in Wisconsin. I mention this because in Wisconsin the lender holds the title, in the case and electronic title, while in Michigan the owner holds the title with a recorded lien. I drove to see the coach after having made tentative arrangements with an inspector to inspect the coach subject to cancellation if I didn't like it. This made it a two day trip but I only had to travel once to look at the coach. I liked the coach, the inspector didn't find deal breakers so I gave the seller a check for $1,000 as a deposit. As one of the previous posters stated large deposits are the stuff of law suits. If you file suit against someone in another state it needs to be in Federal Court and last I knew it was about $30,000 just to file the suit. My point being don't make the deposit so large that you can't afford to lose it if push comes to shove. Then the fun begins.
As I said earlier the coach was financed through Ally Bank and all they will take for a payoff is a cashier's check. That became somewhat of a sticking point as I wasn't going to pay off someone's loan without title in hand. For whatever reason the seller didn't want me to know how much is loan was so we hired an escrow agent in the form of an attorney who was also a realtor and had an escrow account already set up. Most attorneys also have what they call a trust or escrow account where they deposit client's money so that would work too. The attorney cost us $250 which we split. This was very cheap from what I can determine. I checked into an escrow service and they wanted $1.500 for their services. At any rate I wired the money to the attorney and he cut the check to Ally Bank. Then the waiting started. It took about 10 days for the bank to pay off the loan and get the title to the seller. Once the seller had the title in hand I drove to Wisconsin to pick up the rig. My truck was already set up to tow so I didn't need a second driver. After that I just drove the motorhome back to Michigan with no plates. This is legal in Michigan as long as you drive it directly from the place of purchase to the place it will be stored, but I did have insurance. What your state does is probably different, I chose to run the risk of getting a ticket for an unlicensed vehicle, you may do different. Something you may want to think about is your route home. In my particular case the shortest route home would have been through downtown Chicago through about a 10 mile construction zone with very narrow lanes. I opted to go west of the city and not drive my new-to-me rig through a very tight construction zone in the first 100 miles. It also avoided having to deal the thieves that run the Illinois Tollway but that's a whole different subject. Good luck finding your perfect rig and have fun.

Fu227 06-27-2021 11:18 AM

My buddy bought a class 8 truck in Florida and we were in Las Vegas....

After a week of phone calls and texts and very thorough pictures, we gave him a 1k deposit to take it off craigslist, and we flew out to Florida...

We inspected the truck and once we confirmed on buying it we drove it to a tire shop that we preordered 6 tires for it..... My buddy banks with Chase who was nationwide we met with the seller.... Went to the nearest Chase Bank picked up a Cashier's check with the seller present then went to the seller's bank paid off the loan and got a notarized bill of sale and the seller then mailed us the title....

Call the insurance company to put a binder for the truck and drove it back home to Las Vegas....

When I purchased my motor home we did the same thing we drove to Texas met with the seller inspected it went to his bank and I handed him a cashier's check which he deposited into his bank, I put insurance on it and he left his plates on so we did not have to wait at DMV.

. Had a notarized bill of sale and I mailed his plates back and he mailed me the title

BOSTONBERNIE 07-01-2021 03:12 PM

EXCELENT point on the title search !

MommaZ 07-01-2021 03:14 PM

Buyer beware

We bought a lovely newish pop-up camper from a young couple who seemed very nice. If we had head it inspected, it wouldíve revealed to us that the roof was full of water. It cost a pretty penny to replace the roof. We have moved on to a travel trailer that we purchased from a dealer, so any issues are under warranty for a year
I recommend an independent inspection prior to purchase.

PorscheLover 07-01-2021 03:18 PM

Quote:

For that budget you can buy a 15 year old Prevost which sold originally for over $1.5mil and is still like new. Ask me how I know. On Prevost owners FB group there is a guy named Gil Johnson who is an expert on these buses and will fly to you and take a day or two inspecting and deliver a thorough written report with pictures that you can use as a negotiating tool. His fees are very reasonable. If this intrigues you google Prevost-stuff website and enjoy shopping. ��

sartor 07-01-2021 03:28 PM

We had a "dilemma" when we purchased a 2012 Newmar Canyon Star back in 2016 from a private seller. We were in NC, seller was in VA (about 4 hours away). Seller was very "nervous," and didn't want to let the RV go unless/until he had the cash in his bank account and was able to "put his hands on it" (all kinds of horror stories about bogus certified checks and such, and even "wires" would not "release the funds" for a day or two). And we were nervous, not wanting to carry close to $100K in cash, and not wanting to hand somebody that kind of cash without taking the RV away with us. And didn't want to wait a couple of days for things to clear and such.

After much back and forth, I came up with a solution: asked the seller what bank he used: SunTrust. So I went down to the local SunTrust in NC and opened my own account (so same bank). I then moved the $100K from my "normal" bank account into my SunTrust account. Then a week or so later when we went to get the RV, we went to his SunTrust branch, teller *directly* moved the money from my SunTrust account into his SunTrust account (so he could "touch" the money), and I drove off with my RV and the title. Win-win!

deblas 07-01-2021 03:46 PM

Did someone already mention an Escrow service? If so, I missed it.
Remove the "trust" element and protect the buyer and the seller....something like this:

https://www.escrow.com/

Good luck!

BruceDeville 07-01-2021 03:48 PM

Buying

Quote:

First the title part:
Just like buying or selling any vehicle. Some states require the documents to be notorized, check your state and sellers state regulations.

House & RV part: these things, especially good ones, don't last so don't dally around. If it looks good on paper and the seller sounds legit on the (actual phone call) phone, go look at it.

Now the seller knows your serious. Inspect to you ability, test drive. If you like it, make an offer contingent on a professional inspection. You did contact a professional inspector ahead of that could come on short notice

If the deal starts to smell at anypoint, run like hell.

NEVER - transfer cash blindly, NEVER.

JerryP 07-01-2021 03:58 PM

Paying or getting paid.

I have done this buying and selling an RV. I bank at a bank that has branches everywhere. I drive or fly to the city that has the RV and meet the owner at a local branch of my bank. He watches me request a cashiers check and watches them print it out. He signs over the Title and we leave. I usually call the branch bank in advance to let them know what Iím going to do. I sold my Winnebago View to a couple from California 2 days ago in this manner. It still might be a good idea to do the title check as described in a previous post.
Regards Jerry

Jimbo88 07-01-2021 04:02 PM

Buying from a private party

Quote:

There is a lot to consider when buying from a private party. Here's how I bought my 2008 Holiday Rambler Endeavor.
1) I called and discussed the unit with the owner.
2) I asked for more photos. And especially if there was any rust, paint issues, chips or other damage. To inspected when I arrive.
3) I called back and we agreed on a price. We agreed on a down payment along with a sales agreement stating the cost, down payment and inspection. If I did not buy the unit all funds would be returned.
HERES WERE YOU BOTH NEED TO FEEL COMFORTABLE WITH EACH OTHER IF YOU ARE NOT IN THE SAME STATE.
4) The coach was 500 miles from our home. I asked him to have it inspected at his nearest dealer and I would reimburse him for the cost. I told him to email me the invoice and I would pay the cost if or not I buy the unit.
5) If you are dealing with large sums of money (100, 200, or $300,000 you both need to discuss how payment is done. I used a cashiers check in his name. Remember if you see the coach and its not what he described you can always take the check back to your bank and return the funds to your account.
6) I was lucky on my title work. the coach was paid off and he signed the title over to me when I handed him the check. Make sure you get a bill of sale with the coach name, serial number (verify before you hand over the check), date of sale, and the sellers information and drivers license information.
One other way to buy is to find a local RV dealer and have him do the transaction and paperwork. The cost may be minimal. That way you have a third party holding all the funds and paperwork until every thing clears if it is financed.

Best of luck! :cool:

friendly rv 07-01-2021 04:13 PM

buying MH

I thought answers you got was good. I would like to add my 2 cents. The greatest distance I ever went was 10 hours, but would go farther for the right MH. When ever I paid a large sum for a MH I always expected the seller to cooperate with my requests, such as, being able to ask any questions I wanted to, asking the seller to take pics the way I wanted to see, such as, close up or back off, or different angles. Next if I wanted to see it the seller had to assure me that he wouldn't sell it after I was on my way (most rv folks are decent people and I never had a problem with that). A long conversation with seller is for sure, needed. I expected the seller to have the MH ready for my inspection with the refrig level and on and cold, propane to try all appliances, hot water heater on, water tank with enough water to test on lines, tv's on, lights on, etc. I would check year of tires, try levelers, fan vents, test everything, stand in the shower, lay on the bed, everything. Then get MH ready for rd test and make sure to take it on a highway. I always deal in cash no matter what the price and I inspect the title and his driver license and signature match. Well there my 2 cents and thank you for asking.

dosxx 07-01-2021 04:31 PM

Wire transfer is the best way! As someone else said, cashiers checks are dubious until they clear. We sold a 5th wheel and the buyer wired the money. Was in our bank account 2 hours after he left to say he was going to the bank!

RevnRef 07-01-2021 04:43 PM

Escrow service

Here is a way to assure both parties are on the up and up. Use an escrow service:
https://www.rvt.com/rvlinks/rvescrow.php

Realgusto 07-01-2021 04:46 PM

We were looking for a cream puff used Fifth Wheel. We talked to wholesalers across the country that would take a deposit to hold and they had inspectors they could recommend. They could also have delivered to us in the Portland area for a cost of $2,500 - $5,000 depending on where it was. It turned out we found exactly what we wanted from a local wholesaler and love it. If you are in the Portland, Or area Check out Portland RV Wholesale in Oregon City. We were very pleased with them and their professionalism including taking it back a week later to fix a slide issue. They stood behind it 100% and took care of the issue.

TucsonTom 07-01-2021 05:56 PM

Buying a privately owned coach

Quote:

Originally Posted by jondrew55 (Post 5802519)
I sold my DP privately. The buyer essentially paid off the bank (and I paid the bank the difference :( ). Itís a bit worrisome, but we developed a relationship with the buyers and in the end there was an element of trust involved. They also were taking a loan to buy the coach, so that made it a bit less risky for me.

I must however give one bit of advice, I actually prefer buying a used RV from a reputable dealer. I know Iím paying more, but a good dealer will inspect and repair the major items, usually provide a limited warranty, but most of all you get service preference from them. Getting any RV serviced these days is tough. The best I could do was get 6 weeks on my travel trailer from my dealer to get some bugs worked out. They wonít even make appointments is you have not bought from them. Just another thing to consider. Iím sure there are independent RV repair shops, but Iíve had spotty success with them.

I decided to buy my 2010 Tiffin Phaeton from LaMesa in Tucson. I paid over $8000 in sales taxes. I paid $1000 for the transaction fee, despite paying cash! It was not thoroughly inspected! They cleaned it up and changed the oil. Period. I left the lot with a broken fuel sending unit/ float. I found the replacement part in the belly. It took 3 weeks of constant phone calls, etc to get the dealer to agree to install the float. I had to repair the Norcold refrigerator 7 months after purchase. That was $2600. Iíve had numerous minor issues as well.
So, my point is, a dealer isnít going to guarantee you a foolproof buying experience. I wish I had purchased a coach privately. Just from the jump, it would have saved me $9000.

MartinGale 07-01-2021 06:06 PM

Open a Bank Account at Sellerís Bank - Wire Money to Your Account

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crasher (Post 5803381)
If I were wanting to buy from a private party, I would want several pictures and a long conversation with the owner. From that, if I liked what I had seen Ö I wrote a check and she signed over the title to me. Trust on both sides.

We traveled from Texas to Arkansas to look at 2 different DPs. After seeing both and going for a test ride, I made an offer to the seller of the second MH and sealed the deal with a cash deposit. We drew up a simple sales contract that stated a short time frame to complete the deal. My bank, did not have branches in Arkansas so I opened a checking account at his bank. I called my investment holder and had funds transferred to MY new local account. The next day, the seller met us at the bank with the MH. I had a Certified Bank Check drawn payable to the seller. He tendered the clear title and I gave him the check he had just watched his bank cut. Pretty safe for both of us.

You can insert an inspection anywhere in this type of transaction without a lot of work. I strongly recommend having a dealer of the chassis manufacturer inspect for you. A repair of the transmission or engine will cost a lot more than a new water heater or refrigerator. The real money is in the chassis. You should be able to test the house equipment yourself. If you are not competent to do your own inspection, I would question the wisdom of spending $300k on a MH.

Good luck. I hope your transaction goes as easily as ours did.

donr103 07-01-2021 06:27 PM

You need to set aside 20% for repairs and modifications.. and with this everything else going up and shops taking 6 months to get into.. realize that you are not going to be happy just driving off and living in it.. all fluids need change unless you got recpt.. . In hand.. ask for them.. and get the date and manufacturer of each tire.. tires will look good but are out of date soo. They need changed every 5 to 6 yrs.. and if they don't match then there can be a problem.. and detailed p icts of underneath.. along with what all the above mentioned.. good luck and let us know what you did.. before you buy.. I would suggest that you read the forum on chassis and manufacturer.. to educate yourself on what goes wrong. And read up on tires.. you will see what I mean.. the members here that labored tireless here to post information and tips.. oh.. and ask about accessory.. see if they throw anything things in..

NeilV 07-01-2021 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TucsonTom (Post 5814743)
I decided to buy my 2010 Tiffin Phaeton from LaMesa in Tucson. I paid over $8000 in sales taxes. I paid $1000 for the transaction fee, despite paying cash! It was not thoroughly inspected! They cleaned it up and changed the oil. Period. I left the lot with a broken fuel sending unit/ float. I found the replacement part in the belly. It took 3 weeks of constant phone calls, etc to get the dealer to agree to install the float. I had to repair the Norcold refrigerator 7 months after purchase. That was $2600. Iíve had numerous minor issues as well.
So, my point is, a dealer isnít going to guarantee you a foolproof buying experience. I wish I had purchased a coach privately. Just from the jump, it would have saved me $9000.

You would still be responsible for the sales tax even on a private sale of a large ticket item in some/many jurisdictions. On a private sale some DMV offices will add the sales tax to the registration process to make it easier for you.

NeilV 07-01-2021 07:33 PM

I see many trying to sell at retail book value on a private sale however retail book value is for a vehicle with some sort of basic warranty purchased from a licensed retailer. Private sale should not be anywhere close to book value retail price when the purchase is not from a retailer but from a private party.

You have to be careful with private parties who are upside down in their loans too. If they are upside down on the loan what are the chances that they have also gotten behind in routine maintenance?

Yes you can sue a private seller afterwards however they need to have the resources to make you whole so its of little benefit to sue someone who has no tangible assets.

Bottom line you have to inspect more that just the vehicle and its title which adds to the cost of doing business with a private party.

redrhinino 07-01-2021 10:21 PM

We found a rig we liked in Virginia. (We live in Texas)
Sent a $1000 check made out to the seller to a local certified RV inspector. He gave it to the seller immediately after discussing the inspection results with me over the phone. After I received the fluids analysis and the final inspection report, we finished negotiations. Drove to VA, personally checked out the rig, & had the bank wire the money to the sellers.

Next day, on the road.

augerdogger 07-01-2021 10:47 PM

When I buy a used RV I hire an inspector for a top to bottom inspection before I look at it, if the seller doesn't agree to a 3rd party inspection I cross it off the list. If it passes I fly out to look at it, if my SO doesn't accompany me then I invite her to join me before a decision is made. We both nod in approval or we walk. Yes this may seem to be an expensive process but look at what you purchase will cost. My latest adventure was an '05 Prevost conversion that the seller was asking $500k, he refused the inspection process because he owned a trucking company and knew it was in excellent condition, thank you we walked. My biggest headaches has been RV's that we bought new.

rarebear.nm 07-01-2021 11:02 PM

This spring we both sold a Winnebago MH and bought a used Coach House MH.

The sale was done as a private sale. After distant review of the RV the buyer signed a Buyer's Agreement and made a deposit via PayPal. We still had a loan on the unit and the buyer was taking out a loan. You may get into an issue of dry and wet states, not booze, in reference to waiting periods for payments to clear. Even for wire transfers. Understand what will be involved. Some banks will not transfer amounts from a loan via wire transfer but require a paper check. The seller's bank will have it's own waiting period before releasing the title and any profits to the seller. In our case the title went from our bank directly to the buyer's bank. I signed a limited power of attorney for a title escrow agency to sign the title to release it. Neither me or the buyer every saw the title in this process.

Our state laws require that I remove the license plates at time of sale. Thus the buyer does not have plates for their return trip home. They do have a Buyer's Agreement and a Bill of Sale if they are stopped by a LEO.

As for buying a used MH, we knew exactly what we wanted, make model and options. Coach House RVs are pretty rare in the western US, our home is in New Mexico. We had waited about 18 months for the right deal to appear on RVTrader. We moved on it that day. We had missed out on other great deals three times by as little as two hours. One time while we were talking to a salesperson over the phone to place a deposit another couple had walked in and placed a cash deposit on the RV. Point is that many RVs are moving very quickly, within hours of posting. Just have all of your ducks in order and be ready to move quickly.

rv2b 07-02-2021 12:40 AM

We are buying through Pop RV. They are a broker. They are amazing. We couldn't have done it without them. They have walked us through every step and have been constantly in contact. I give them high praises.

eroyceus 07-02-2021 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gorgeguy (Post 5802983)
A wire transfer is good but I am under the impression it has to be originated at the buyers bank and if you are some distance away, that might be difficult. I sold a travel trailer and got a bank draft, but only copied the title and give a bill of sale until the funds were actually in the bank.

Not really, most banks these days accept verified instructions over the phone or by internet. If the Seller claims not to receive the wire, ,then you can recall it. But there is no other "buyer protection" just like a cashier's check.

FredV 07-02-2021 07:53 AM

Don't trust that dealers will inspect and repair defects in the units in their inventory. They usually will perform an inspection and repair only the glaring issues. Dealers count on selling an extended warranty to the buyer to take care of any other issues that may show up. If the buyer refuses the extended warranty, there usually is enough profit in the deal to take care of any problem areas.

gjbales 07-02-2021 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Massparanoia (Post 5802369)
All your points you would negotiate with the seller. Think of it like buying a house.

A) The seller is probably going to want some sort of deposit to essentially take it off the market while you have it inspected. You're probably going to want to agree on a price prior to this, contingent on the inspection.

B) Again, negotiate with the seller. Wire transfer, cashiers check, crypto etc.

C) When you complete the sale, the seller gives you the signed title, you take it to your local DMV and register it, give uncle sam his piece, and head back to your new RV with plates in hand and drive it home.

Ditto on Massparanoia's comments, with one addendum. Sometimes the seller might not have a good, clean title in their hands at the time of the sale. They possibly could have it financed and the lending institution has the title as collateral. A bill of sale will be sufficient to have when taking possession of the RV and the title, with any lien being released, should be sent to the buyer in a couple of months (banks aren't swift on these things).:)

Rev. Roy 07-02-2021 06:56 PM

I admit I am really hesitant to buy from a private seller without doing a lot of homework. I ask for pictures of the RV along with one of the title showing they own it. If they say it's an estate settlement, I ask for a picture of the tax release (court authorization) showing they have the right to sell. Scammers operate that way. I ask for the VIN number to run a Carfax on in. I also run it through https://autoauctions.io. to see if it was sold at an auction. I have seen vehicles being sold with a clean title that had been salvage titled that had been rebuilt and the title was "scrubbed", illegal in most states. I follow the Biblical principle, Ēbe as wary as serpents, and as innocent as doves."

dbteam 07-03-2021 07:30 AM

To the OP, we were in your shoes last year - we did it

My wife and I are now on our second Newmar DS. Both were bought from private parties after total frustration attempting to purchase from dealer. In this current market you have to be more aggressive. Good deals/values sell REALLY FAST (24 hours fast) because "cherry" DP's are being sought out by dealers who will pay within 24 hours. I scoured RVT and RVTRADER daily for about 4 months until our unit popped up. I emailed the seller with an offer, he countered, then I called him on the phone. I like what I heard so wired 10K to his account ref vin/NBuild #. subject to our inspection and if needed a professional inspector to arrive while we were there. Next call to the airlines for 2 tickets. Had balance transferred to same bank seller and buyer both had accounts in. We saw it, smelled new, still had tags on the furniture. Seller and Buyer went to local bank. Seller got balance, buyer got signed over title, all done in presence of notary, ID's verified and exchanged. Note: while I was there 2 dealers called attempting to buy our coach for 5k more. Good for us, seller had integrity. Here's some thing a private individual can do. Before sending money, exchange DL's. From that you can pay for a criminal background check. This should be clear. Also, find out what line of work your seller is in. If He/She has a cool band they take on the road, chances are that coach is going to have all kinds of wear. If they are living in it, not a positive for us. You can do it. It's a little more nerve racking but for us after two purchases in 5 years, both went very smooth.

gorgeguy 07-03-2021 10:15 AM

It is interesting hearing about how hot the market is. I put my '02 Allegro

Bus on the market (also listed in the classified section) a couple of weeks ago priced below NADA average price and have yet to have anyone look at it. I thought a clean well maintained coach would be in demand in the $50K price range. I guess being 80 miles from a large city might have something to do with it.

momcat 07-03-2021 09:24 PM

how to buy RV

I have bought 3 rvs, and will only buy from a private owner. When the deal is made, I drive my toad to pick it up, and just tow the toad home. The longest drive I had was to Cape Coral Fl. from Tennessee. It was really fun too. MOMCAT

momcat 07-04-2021 07:42 AM

buying used

When I buy from a private party and there is a lein at a bank.... I do my paying at the bank, and get a bill of sell from the banker as well as the seller. Then the bank has always mailed me the title, not the seller. This is no different than buying a car, except for the distance to make the deal. Can be a PITA. MOMCAT

AnywhereEric 07-05-2021 10:06 AM

I bought a 2004, 38ft Holiday rambler DP. 3 years ago.
It was purchased from an older couple that basically wintered in Florida.
They were awesome. 60k miles BTW.
They let me drive it and keep it for the weekend to get it inspected.

The couple and I just seemed to hit it off.

It is old, and I've put in a few bucks. Would I do it again?
Probably.

amosnandy 07-05-2021 04:03 PM

$100 bills has always worked for me.

amosnandy 07-05-2021 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gorgeguy (Post 5816643)
It is interesting hearing about how hot the market is. I put my '02 Allegro

Bus on the market (also listed in the classified section) a couple of weeks ago priced below NADA average price and have yet to have anyone look at it. I thought a clean well maintained coach would be in demand in the $50K price range. I guess being 80 miles from a large city might have something to do with it.

I'm not sure why you are having trouble. Maybe those looking in that price range would rather have a new TT or something.

I went shopping for a DP in the $60k to $70k range last year. I drove 0ver 100 miles each way to look at several, and finally settled on a nice 2006 from an older farm couple who felt it was just time to move on. They wintered in it in Arizona, very clean and you could tell by the farm yard they took good care of it. And yup, I've had a couple problems with it, nothing major. Batteries. Couple compartment latches and the water heater getting so hot to shut of the ECO thermostat. It needs tires, not because of miles but they have 2013 dates on them.

But the Mrs who is who I dealt with said they did not have many interested calls. She thought the same because they were in Nowhere Iowa.

You'll get that one buyer who will come that far to look and end up buying. I looked at 6-7 before I bought. 2 at dealers who just kind of blew me off as a tire kicker. I know the guy who does the delivery at one dealership and the salesman suggested to him that I was just a dreamer kicking tires. Blew the salesman away when he went back and told him I just bought a $65k DP that was very similar to the one they had.

dbteam 07-06-2021 05:19 AM

To Gorgeguy w/02 Tiffin

Gorgeguy, like the other poster said, we put our 03 Dutch Star into an online ad. We are 80 miles from a big city. over 1 month of ad duration, we recvd several calls from dealers offering to sell it for us but their number was "silly", 10 emails from private parties of which 4 came to see it. We accepted a small deposit from our first buyer but he kept dragging his feet so we refunded his deposit and then another couple flew in and we knew they were going to have as much fun in our coach as we did. Like the other poster said, you'll know when you have your buyer. You have a great product (Tiffin). Make sure you have a good "Money Shot" (front to back which shows floorplan, colors, condition) and it will sell. Our buyers flew in from PA to Fl to pick up their new coach.

Dejus 07-06-2021 09:52 AM

Thank you everyone for the info and stories.

One comment on advertising: when adding photos to RVTrader etc, make sure you include the floor plan too. Now that I've narrowed down my choices, I don't need that, but when first shopping, having floor plans included was very helpful.

gorgeguy 07-07-2021 08:04 PM

You guys were right, one person looked at the coach today and drove it home. It was a really well maintained coach at a really fair price. It only takes one. FYI I let them write a personal check and said I would mail the title when the funds cleared the bank. They were fine with that. They did not hire an inspector but I gave them a two+ hour walk through and tried to cover everything for them.

fla tom 07-07-2021 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GFC (Post 5804543)
Dejus,

About 3 months ago we bought a used DP from a private party in Hood River, OR. I talked with him on the phone then drove over to see it from our home in Pasco, WA.

The coach was clean and he said the reason he was selling was his wife died 2 years prior and he just didn't use it any more.

At this point price was not even discussed. I told him I was interested and wrote him a check for $5,000 to show I was interested and he could take it off the market. I also told him I wanted to get an NRVIA inspection done and that would take about a week. He was OK with that.

The inspection came back clean except for rear axle tires, smoke detector, propane detector were outdated. Oil samples were taken and sent in.
After a few days the results of the oil samples came back clean.

The seller had a loan on the RV through a nationwide bank that had to be paid off. We called the bank and explained the situation to them. They would not release the title to me even though the seller gave them permission.

At this point I was going to write a pretty big check to him for the agreed price and trusted him to send me the title when he got it from his bank. BIG amount of trust there but I felt I am a pretty good judge of character.

About 3 weeks later the title arrived all properly endorsed.

We just finished our first overnighter and couldn't be happier with the coach.

Most people who can buy finance a DP are good people.

Dejus 08-01-2021 03:42 PM

Followup (I'm the OP):

We found a perfect 2020 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40IP from a private seller in Washington state (I'm in Oregon), near where my mother-in-law lives. After discussing and seeing more pics, they agreed to hold it for us, and we went up to visit Mom and check it out, including a drive, then did a brief purchase agreement and paid a cash deposit.

It'll be a month before we close on our house, and will be able to pay the remainder, but they are willing to wait for us. Then we'll meet at their bank to pay and get the title and keys.

We're very happy with the arrangements, and are looking forward to starting our new adventure.

Dejus 08-09-2021 03:43 PM

And then a week later the deal fell through. Back to the drawing board....

If anyone is selling a Tiffin Allegro Bus 40IP, or a Phaeton 40IH or 37BH, 2018 or newer, feel free to get in touch.

SalzerJ 08-09-2021 04:13 PM

Strange! No one contemplates the use of a lawyer! A good one can take care of a lot of worries.

uchu 08-09-2021 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SalzerJ (Post 5867037)
Strange! No one contemplates the use of a lawyer! A good one can take care of a lot of worries.

They aren't needed, most of the time. Deals fall through for many reasons and the world doesn't end because of that.

tomgauger 08-10-2021 03:22 PM

Get the VIN and do a CarFax!!
Have it inspected by YOUR shop, not his.

Dr. Mike 08-10-2021 04:27 PM

Quote:

I know you want to by from a private party, but if you (or anyone in our audience) is thinking about spending $300,000 on a coach, go to NIRVC.

Dejus 09-07-2021 09:53 PM

A followup for anyone reading this thread (I'm the OP): we found another coach, a bit older, but still nice (and more affordable): a 2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP. That purchase did complete, after doing a professional inspection. The purchase was simple: we paid a $1k personal check deposit to hold it, did the inspection, then paid the remainder via cashier check, and got the title and possession. Easy. We booked a night at a campground near the seller, and he delivered it there, where we finalized the deal. It was nice to spend the night in the coach before driving it home.

We now have the coach at home (while doing a trip in a rental travel trailer to Yellowstone, for reasons). We've moved into it. and after we get back from this trip, we'll be hitting the road for our new full-timing lifestyle. See my blog for more info if interested.