iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   How does one buy a used RV from a private seller? (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/how-does-one-buy-a-used-rv-from-a-private-seller-542381.html)

amosnandy 07-05-2021 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gorgeguy (Post 5816643)
It is interesting hearing about how hot the market is. I put my '02 Allegro

Bus on the market (also listed in the classified section) a couple of weeks ago priced below NADA average price and have yet to have anyone look at it. I thought a clean well maintained coach would be in demand in the $50K price range. I guess being 80 miles from a large city might have something to do with it.

I'm not sure why you are having trouble. Maybe those looking in that price range would rather have a new TT or something.

I went shopping for a DP in the $60k to $70k range last year. I drove 0ver 100 miles each way to look at several, and finally settled on a nice 2006 from an older farm couple who felt it was just time to move on. They wintered in it in Arizona, very clean and you could tell by the farm yard they took good care of it. And yup, I've had a couple problems with it, nothing major. Batteries. Couple compartment latches and the water heater getting so hot to shut of the ECO thermostat. It needs tires, not because of miles but they have 2013 dates on them.

But the Mrs who is who I dealt with said they did not have many interested calls. She thought the same because they were in Nowhere Iowa.

You'll get that one buyer who will come that far to look and end up buying. I looked at 6-7 before I bought. 2 at dealers who just kind of blew me off as a tire kicker. I know the guy who does the delivery at one dealership and the salesman suggested to him that I was just a dreamer kicking tires. Blew the salesman away when he went back and told him I just bought a $65k DP that was very similar to the one they had.

dbteam 07-06-2021 05:19 AM

To Gorgeguy w/02 Tiffin

Gorgeguy, like the other poster said, we put our 03 Dutch Star into an online ad. We are 80 miles from a big city. over 1 month of ad duration, we recvd several calls from dealers offering to sell it for us but their number was "silly", 10 emails from private parties of which 4 came to see it. We accepted a small deposit from our first buyer but he kept dragging his feet so we refunded his deposit and then another couple flew in and we knew they were going to have as much fun in our coach as we did. Like the other poster said, you'll know when you have your buyer. You have a great product (Tiffin). Make sure you have a good "Money Shot" (front to back which shows floorplan, colors, condition) and it will sell. Our buyers flew in from PA to Fl to pick up their new coach.

Dejus 07-06-2021 09:52 AM

Thank you everyone for the info and stories.

One comment on advertising: when adding photos to RVTrader etc, make sure you include the floor plan too. Now that I've narrowed down my choices, I don't need that, but when first shopping, having floor plans included was very helpful.

gorgeguy 07-07-2021 08:04 PM

You guys were right, one person looked at the coach today and drove it home. It was a really well maintained coach at a really fair price. It only takes one. FYI I let them write a personal check and said I would mail the title when the funds cleared the bank. They were fine with that. They did not hire an inspector but I gave them a two+ hour walk through and tried to cover everything for them.

fla tom 07-07-2021 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GFC (Post 5804543)
Dejus,

About 3 months ago we bought a used DP from a private party in Hood River, OR. I talked with him on the phone then drove over to see it from our home in Pasco, WA.

The coach was clean and he said the reason he was selling was his wife died 2 years prior and he just didn't use it any more.

At this point price was not even discussed. I told him I was interested and wrote him a check for $5,000 to show I was interested and he could take it off the market. I also told him I wanted to get an NRVIA inspection done and that would take about a week. He was OK with that.

The inspection came back clean except for rear axle tires, smoke detector, propane detector were outdated. Oil samples were taken and sent in.
After a few days the results of the oil samples came back clean.

The seller had a loan on the RV through a nationwide bank that had to be paid off. We called the bank and explained the situation to them. They would not release the title to me even though the seller gave them permission.

At this point I was going to write a pretty big check to him for the agreed price and trusted him to send me the title when he got it from his bank. BIG amount of trust there but I felt I am a pretty good judge of character.

About 3 weeks later the title arrived all properly endorsed.

We just finished our first overnighter and couldn't be happier with the coach.

Most people who can buy finance a DP are good people.

Dejus 08-01-2021 03:42 PM

Followup (I'm the OP):

We found a perfect 2020 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40IP from a private seller in Washington state (I'm in Oregon), near where my mother-in-law lives. After discussing and seeing more pics, they agreed to hold it for us, and we went up to visit Mom and check it out, including a drive, then did a brief purchase agreement and paid a cash deposit.

It'll be a month before we close on our house, and will be able to pay the remainder, but they are willing to wait for us. Then we'll meet at their bank to pay and get the title and keys.

We're very happy with the arrangements, and are looking forward to starting our new adventure.

Dejus 08-09-2021 03:43 PM

And then a week later the deal fell through. Back to the drawing board....

If anyone is selling a Tiffin Allegro Bus 40IP, or a Phaeton 40IH or 37BH, 2018 or newer, feel free to get in touch.

SalzerJ 08-09-2021 04:13 PM

Strange! No one contemplates the use of a lawyer! A good one can take care of a lot of worries.

uchu 08-09-2021 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SalzerJ (Post 5867037)
Strange! No one contemplates the use of a lawyer! A good one can take care of a lot of worries.

They aren't needed, most of the time. Deals fall through for many reasons and the world doesn't end because of that.

tomgauger 08-10-2021 03:22 PM

Get the VIN and do a CarFax!!
Have it inspected by YOUR shop, not his.

Dr. Mike 08-10-2021 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dejus (Post 5802329)
I've been spending way too much time searching RV Trader for used DPs. It seems most of the listings I like are from private sellers (as opposed to dealers).

We're in the process of selling our house, and will buy the RV from the profit -- probably one around $300k in value.

But I was wondering what the logistics of that would be. Assuming we find a great-looking motorhome somewhere (we're looking nationwide, as there's bupkis in the Portland area), then what? Contact the seller, find out more info, and reserve it somehow?

We'd want to get it professionally inspected; hopefully we can find a nearby inspector that can see it in a timely fashion.

If it checks out, we'd drive or fly to the RV, take a look ourselves, pay in some way, get the title assigned to us, then drive it home.

But I'm unclear on (a) how we'd reserve it (no point in getting it inspected and flying out there if they sell to someone else in the meantime), (b) how we'd pay for it (cashiers check, I guess), (c) how the title would get assigned, and (d) other aspects I'm forgetting or not aware of.

When buying a house, we have a buyer's real estate agent to hold our hands. I kinda wish there were a buyer's RV agent... I guess a dealer is kinda like that, though they don't have the buyer's interest at heart. I've read several stories of nice experiences buying from private sellers, but the details are a mystery to me.

I know you want to by from a private party, but if you (or anyone in our audience) is thinking about spending $300,000 on a coach, go to NIRVC.

Dejus 09-07-2021 09:53 PM

A followup for anyone reading this thread (I'm the OP): we found another coach, a bit older, but still nice (and more affordable): a 2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP. That purchase did complete, after doing a professional inspection. The purchase was simple: we paid a $1k personal check deposit to hold it, did the inspection, then paid the remainder via cashier check, and got the title and possession. Easy. We booked a night at a campground near the seller, and he delivered it there, where we finalized the deal. It was nice to spend the night in the coach before driving it home.

We now have the coach at home (while doing a trip in a rental travel trailer to Yellowstone, for reasons). We've moved into it. and after we get back from this trip, we'll be hitting the road for our new full-timing lifestyle. See my blog for more info if interested.