iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Outdoors RV Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f282/)
-   -   Under designed components (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f282/under-designed-components-542567.html)

jand251974 06-24-2021 07:23 AM

Under designed components
 
1 Attachment(s)
I recently returned from a trip in our black rock. Broke a leaf spring. When I got it repaired we found that the equalizer (the part between the 2 axles) was completely wallowed out on both sides (pic attached with the replacement and the factory one). When I went to have them replaced. The extended warranty required that I replace them with the same equalizer. Turns out that the part that came from the factory is rated for 2 2000lb axles. My trailer has 2 6000lb axles! Has anyone ever experienced a manufacturer using a component that was not rated appropriately for the weight? This is very disturbing! If any one else has had this issue let me know. I think this is a HUGE safety issue and wonder if it is against some DOT regulation of misrepresentation of the weight rating. If there are others that have experienced this it may be worth getting together and getting an attorney involved. I havenít reached out to outdoor but Iím 99% (based on previous experience) sure the response will be it is out of the warranty time frame.

Attachment 333411

Old-Biscuit 06-24-2021 12:17 PM

Contact ORV and see how they respond before getting all up in a twit

RetiredbutWorking 06-24-2021 12:29 PM

What is the weight rating of your camper? Just because they put 6K axles doesn't mean the camper is rated as such. The rating would be for the weakest link.

1361 06-24-2021 05:36 PM

Your trailer is rather large. I didn't know the Black Rock series came that big. I'm sure it would need heavy duty axles. It's surprising that those components were used. Are you the original owner? If not, perhaps they were installed by a previous owner. Either way, I think I would call the factory and see what they have to say about it. I wouldn't think the extended warranty company would install the same under-rated components back in. Time to upgrade for sure.



Good luck with this. I can see this being difficult to get sorted out.

jand251974 06-24-2021 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RetiredbutWorking (Post 5804477)
What is the weight rating of your camper? Just because they put 6K axles doesn't mean the camper is rated as such. The rating would be for the weakest link.



Itís ~10k dry rated for 12k

Dave Pelletier 06-24-2021 09:17 PM

Those parts look pretty similar. I imagine that ORV buys the whole shebang as an assembly....quite possibly a mistake from thier supplier (assuming the part really is not rated for your axels). Call them

WNDOPDLR 06-25-2021 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Pelletier (Post 5805244)
Those parts look pretty similar. I imagine that ORV buys the whole shebang as an assembly....quite possibly a mistake from thier supplier (assuming the part really is not rated for your axels). Call them

I thought ORV was not accepting calls from the ranks any more???

keymastr 06-25-2021 08:07 PM

They accept calls about5 legitimate issues, they just would rather not deal with folks calling up with questions like "where is my water pump?" or my outlets don't work unless I am plugged in to shore power.

They were so overwhelmed with small issues that folks should have either been asking their dealer or googling to answer themselves that they had folks who were doing nothing else all day and still not able to keep up. If you have a real issue they are there to help, often even after the warranty period. I think we can all understand that they would prefer you first check with your selling dealer, if you buy a Ford you go to the dealer that sold it to you, not the factory it was built in. If that dealer cannot satisfy your repair needs or there is a need for extensive rebuilding that is where the factory takes over.

WNDOPDLR 06-26-2021 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keymastr (Post 5806668)
They accept calls about5 legitimate issues, they just would rather not deal with folks calling up with questions like "where is my water pump?" or my outlets don't work unless I am plugged in to shore power.

They were so overwhelmed with small issues that folks should have either been asking their dealer or googling to answer themselves that they had folks who were doing nothing else all day and still not able to keep up. If you have a real issue they are there to help, often even after the warranty period. I think we can all understand that they would prefer you first check with your selling dealer, if you buy a Ford you go to the dealer that sold it to you, not the factory it was built in. If that dealer cannot satisfy your repair needs or there is a need for extensive rebuilding that is where the factory takes over.

Thanks Keymaster-good to know. I have called them twice-once for a drawing of the framing members on my rear wall and once for come cabinet parts. They were great both times and their customer service was the reason I have recommended their product to others who have asked.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:43 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.