iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   iRV2.com General Discussion (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/)
-   -   I was new Once (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/i-was-new-once-542602.html)

fcbbob15 06-24-2021 10:32 AM

I was new Once

I have new neighbors who came into the campground Tuesday. They must be newbies because every thing looks new. I saw them take water and sewer hose out of the package. The truck and trailer look new. They started to set up by positioning the door in line with the picnic table and the later realized that the sewer hose wouldn't reach. I asked them if they needed any help and they said no thanks. The next day they had there awning out and it was getting windy so I mentioned that the wind could damage there awning. They said OK thanks and left shortly after. About an hour later I heard a noise and looked out to see there awning wrapped up over the roof. It also broke the TV antenna off. Myself and another camper tied down the awning as best we could to stop it from beating the trailer. When they got back the wife was crying and the man cut off the fabric and busted up the frame. They then packed up and left. Why not take help and advise from someone who has been there and done that, I'll never understand.

carl.swoyer 06-24-2021 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fcbbob15 (Post 5804316)
I have new neighbors who came into the campground Tuesday. They must be newbies because every thing looks new. I saw them take water and sewer hose out of the package. The truck and trailer look new. They started to set up by positioning the door in line with the picnic table and the later realized that the sewer hose wouldn't reach. I asked them if they needed any help and they said no thanks. The next day they had there awning out and it was getting windy so I mentioned that the wind could damage there awning. They said OK thanks and left shortly after. About an hour later I heard a noise and looked out to see there awning wrapped up over the roof. It also broke the TV antenna off. Myself and another camper tied down the awning as best we could to stop it from beating the trailer. When they got back the wife was crying and the man cut off the fabric and busted up the frame. They then packed up and left. Why not take help and advise from someone who has been there and done that, I'll never understand.

Well,,
Now they understand what you were saying [emoji1787]

Old-Biscuit 06-24-2021 10:42 AM

New sign in window ---- "FOR SALE"

And I'll bet dollars to donuts it ain't the first thing the guy has damaged due to 'no help'

mickeybitsko 06-24-2021 11:31 AM

No doubt a hammer thrower :banghead:

Dutch Star Don 06-24-2021 11:36 AM

Sometimes people have to be taught the hard way.

96 Wideglide 06-24-2021 11:37 AM

How's that saying go.....

"You can lead a horse to water, But............." :whistling:

GypsyR 06-24-2021 12:04 PM

"Pride comes before a fall?"

Or like I asked my son...a few times: "Do you really just have to learn EVERYTHING the hard way?"

MSHappyCampers 06-24-2021 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GypsyR (Post 5804448)
"Pride comes before a fall?"

Or like I asked my son...a few times: "Do you really just have to learn EVERYTHING the hard way?"

X2! Yup, they were just too prideful to accept help! Sad! :sad:

SeeTheUSA 06-24-2021 01:32 PM

Was it this guy?

https://youtu.be/4YR1iMXh7Nc

jacwjames 06-24-2021 03:27 PM

Yup, some people have to learn the hard way and others are just plain lucky.

One of my wife's friends has been RV'ing in a Class A for about as long as us. She came to visit last year with their brand new Thor Outlaw. I helped her set up. I had a 50 amp plug/ water/ and sewer available. She hooked up her sewer and opened both the black and grey water. I advised her not to keep the black open, that is has to have water in it otherwise they'll end up with a poop tepee that will eventually plug the drain. But they'd doing it that way for ~20 years so I guess they are lucky.

LikeNo1Else 06-24-2021 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fcbbob15 (Post 5804316)
Why not take help and advise from someone who has been there and done that, I'll never understand.

It could also be “baggage” from past experiences. We don’t get a lot of offers for help/advice. Could be because we check in earlier in the day when the campground is mostly empty. Or (less likely) we give off the “appearance” we know what we’re doing!

However, last trip we were backing into a site… the site was on the passenger side, flanked by two ravines/culverts. Plus, the road had a drop-off limiting how far out we could go. Wife was driving (it’s her pickup) and I was spotting and we were having trouble negotiating the obstacles with our tiny trailer.

On about our 4th attempt, “he” came over. I suspect his wife sent him. First words were a condescending/gruff “what’s the problem?” I told him we had no problems, just having a hard time with the drop offs (as one tire is about a quarter of the way off the payment).

Then with a grand sweeping gesture of his hand he tells us to just pull out and back it in. Uh…. What does he think we’ve been trying to do?! There was no other traffic so we weren’t holding anyone up. Yet I felt like this guy was snarling at me!

Sounds like your guy should have been adult enough to acknowledge there are thing that “you don’t know, that you don’t know” and taken your advice. But maybe he’s been on the receiving end of his fair share of bad experiences too.

wolfe10 06-24-2021 05:16 PM

Just more almost new, but not necessarily "in good condition" RV's for sale in a year or so.

UNDERSTAND.

waterjosh 06-24-2021 05:58 PM

There have been a couple of times where I truly regretted accepting the help from random person. The "helper" sometimes thinks they know what you are looking to do and won't accept anything else. One particular occasion, I wanted the trailer in at a angle to block us a bit from the campground for privacy, he kept trying to get me in straight. I told him what I was trying to do and finally had to just ignore him and park the way I wanted. Whether I thought he deserved it or not my better half thought I needed to go offer him a beer for his help. Could it be that your person has dealt with that guy to many times?

Tightwadted 06-24-2021 07:09 PM

brings to mind when we were "newbies" 20 yrs ago, packed in a commercial campground for a race weekend in KC, couple next to us, (we were all outside enjoying the campfire) stopped by on their rounds telling everyone about storm expected in the wee hours to put in their awnings, we said thanks and did just that, we never let it out all night, many others in the campground ignored it, next morning the local mobile RV repair guy was in the campground had about a half dozen to repair/cutoff etc