iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Monaco Owner's Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/)
-   -   Inverter and Generator Problems (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/inverter-and-generator-problems-542647.html)

Fishar 06-24-2021 02:46 PM

Inverter and Generator Problems

I'll start with the inverter. Only charging at 12.7 and flickers between 0 and 3 amps. The battery temp monitor shows 151C which I know is impossible. I unplugged it but no help, it then shows 25C but still no real charging. Charger will start ok, then after about 20 seconds the remote panel charger light starts to flash. Troubleshooting says either low input voltage or high temp in the inverter (I've never heard a fan kick on in the inverter if that can be heard). I know I don't have low input voltage. I've got an external battery charger on the house batteries overnight again. I'm going to mess with it for a short time tomorrow and then if a miracle doesn't happen I'm going to take it out. Luckily for me my small home town of Marion, IL has a Magnum repair center. I figure getting it fixed would be cheaper than a new one? I'd like thoughts on that. I see a new one is around $900.

Now to the 10K Onan quiet diesel generator. I can't get enough electricity to it for it to turn over fast enough to start, so I don't know if it will start or not. Even with my big battery charger on the house batteries turned on boost/start. This battery charger will start a dead car with a V8. I'd like to try the battery boost function on the Monaco, but I guess I'm not smart enough to use it. I push the button on the dash, no light. Push the generator start button on the dash, nothing. It occurred to me maybe the ignition key has to be on? I'm considering trying it tomorrow with the motorhome running. I could use some guidance on this also. I've been all through the owner manual multiple times and haven't found my answer.

Thanks in advance for putting up with my dumb ass.

wamcneil 06-24-2021 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishar (Post 5804634)
I'll start with the inverter. Only charging at 12.7 and flickers between 0 and 3 amps. The battery temp monitor shows 151C which I know is impossible. I unplugged it but no help, it then shows 25C but still no real charging. Charger will start ok, then after about 20 seconds the remote panel charger light starts to flash. Troubleshooting says either low input voltage or high temp in the inverter (I've never heard a fan kick on in the inverter if that can be heard). I know I don't have low input voltage. I've got an external battery charger on the house batteries overnight again. I'm going to mess with it for a short time tomorrow and then if a miracle doesn't happen I'm going to take it out. Luckily for me my small home town of Marion, IL has a Magnum repair center. I figure getting it fixed would be cheaper than a new one? I'd like thoughts on that. I see a new one is around $900.

Now to the 10K Onan quiet diesel generator. I can't get enough electricity to it for it to turn over fast enough to start, so I don't know if it will start or not. Even with my big battery charger on the house batteries turned on boost/start. This battery charger will start a dead car with a V8. I'd like to try the battery boost function on the Monaco, but I guess I'm not smart enough to use it. I push the button on the dash, no light. Push the generator start button on the dash, nothing. It occurred to me maybe the ignition key has to be on? I'm considering trying it tomorrow with the motorhome running. I could use some guidance on this also. I've been all through the owner manual multiple times and haven't found my answer.

Thanks in advance for putting up with my dumb ass.

When was the inverter made? I believe there's a manufacture date printed on it. And I think they have 3-yr warranty. Repairing them generally consists of replacing an entire circuit board with part cost of something like $250-$400 each.
Are you sure the batteries are good?

What do you mean by 'can't get enough electricity to it for it to turn over fast enough'? Sounds like you've got a battery problem or a wiring problem that will need to be sorted out. At one point I had a fatigued cable where the generator neg cable ground post. Maybe you've got something like that going on? Sorry, but I don't have any easy answers for you. Sounds like you just need to get in there with a volt meter and figure out why you're not getting amps to the generator.
Does your main engine start? I believe generators normally start from the chassis battery.
Cheers,
Walter

okcnewbie 06-24-2021 03:24 PM

Have you tried the generator right at the generator panel? Are you getting the clicking which I believe is priming.
When was the last time the generator worked?
Have you ever seen the gen working?
What's the longest time you've held the top of the start button down?

Fishar 06-24-2021 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wamcneil (Post 5804682)
When was the inverter made? I believe there's a manufacture date printed on it. And I think they have 3-yr warranty. Repairing them generally consists of replacing an entire circuit board with part cost of something like $250-$400 each.
Are you sure the batteries are good?

What do you mean by 'can't get enough electricity to it for it to turn over fast enough'? Sounds like you've got a battery problem or a wiring problem that will need to be sorted out. At one point I had a fatigued cable where the generator neg cable ground post. Maybe you've got something like that going on? Sorry, but I don't have any easy answers for you. Sounds like you just need to get in there with a volt meter and figure out why you're not getting amps to the generator.
Does your main engine start? I believe generators normally start from the chassis battery.
Cheers,
Walter

ME2012 is original from the manufacture date of the 2007 Camelot.
My generator starts from the house batteries and yes the motorhome does start.

Fishar 06-24-2021 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okcnewbie (Post 5804699)
Have you tried the generator right at the generator panel? Are you getting the clicking which I believe is priming.
When was the last time the generator worked?
Have you ever seen the gen working?
What's the longest time you've held the top of the start button down?

This was Dad's and he died. I can only assume he started the generator at some point.

I've held the bottom of the button down for 30 seconds to help it prime.

Top start button, 5 seconds tops and then not enough juice. Yes it clicks.

wamcneil 06-24-2021 04:20 PM

Are you sure the house batteries aren't bad? That might explain several of your problems.
My boost solenoid does not require the key to be on. I believe the switch is just grounding the solenoid coil. And my solenoid is driven by the house side, so it doesn't work if the house batteries are dead.
Cheers,
Walter

Fishar 06-24-2021 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wamcneil (Post 5804789)
Are you sure the house batteries aren't bad? That might explain several of your problems.
My boost solenoid does not require the key to be on. I believe the switch is just grounding the solenoid coil. And my solenoid is driven by the house side, so it doesn't work if the house batteries are dead.
Cheers,
Walter

All batteries are new.

Fishar 06-25-2021 09:03 AM

On the magnum me2012 inverter/charger:

I called the local company listed as a magnum repair center. They informed me they were no longer a repair center and for some reason magnum refused to take them off their website. So the nearest one is hundreds of miles away.

Shipping this thing hundreds of miles on a shot in the dark about what repairs would cost is not something I'm willing to do, so I guess if I don't figure something out soon I'll be buying a new one*at around $950.

vito.a 06-25-2021 10:08 AM

I've had very good luck with Magnum repair centers. Once in Phoenix and once in Tucson.
The cable run from the batteries to the generator are very long and 12v DC does not perform well in these long runs. Also, it should be starting from the chassis (main engine) battery. The idea is you can operate the house 12v system until 50% discharge and start the generator from the chassis battery and recharge.

The boost switch should work with the key off. But the Intellitec Big Boy solenoid that operates the boost function is a well known problem. It has two large copper contacts that carbon up and increase resistance. You should measure the voltage difference on both the large bottom lugs. If more than .2 volts, then it needs rebuild or replacing.

Many of us start the main engine and place it on fast idle, then start the generator.

IF you replace the Magnum inverter, I would consider replacing it with a pure sign wave Magnum. It will produce cleaner power for todays electronics as well as a residential refrigerator.

Fishar 06-25-2021 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vito.a (Post 5805894)
I've had very good luck with Magnum repair centers. Once in Phoenix and once in Tucson.
The cable run from the batteries to the generator are very long and 12v DC does not perform well in these long runs. Also, it should be starting from the chassis (main engine) battery.
The boost switch should work with the key off. But the Intellitec Big Boy solenoid that operates the boost function is a well known problem. It has two large copper contacts that carbon up and increase resistance. You should measure the voltage difference on both the large bottom lugs. If more than .2 volts, then it needs rebuild or replacing.

Many of us start the main engine and place it on fast idle, then start the generator.

IF you replace the Magnum inverter, I would consider replacing it with a pure sign wave Magnum. It will produce cleaner power for todays electronics as well as a residential refrigerator.

I have a trombetta, same thing right?

okcnewbie 06-29-2021 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishar (Post 5804714)
......Top start button, 5 seconds tops and then not enough juice. Yes it clicks.

Try connecting both sets of batteries together (using boost or just connecting them together at your solenoid). Hold the start bottom down a little longer to give it chance to start. It can take quite a while if it hasn't been started in a while.

rffowler55 06-29-2021 06:40 AM

We have solar power at our home and our Magnum Inverter's internal fans failed after about 7 years of use resulting in the inverter running hot and turning off. Replaced the fans and no issues the past 3 years.

Fishar 06-29-2021 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rffowler55 (Post 5810668)
We have solar power at our home and our Magnum Inverter's internal fans failed after about 7 years of use resulting in the inverter running hot and turning off. Replaced the fans and no issues the past 3 years.

Troubleshooting indicated hot inverter or low input voltage. I verified 124 volts on both legs of my power plug in.

I've given up and ordered a new me2012-20 inverter. When I get it in and everything working I may take the old one apart as I suspect the fans aren't working.

okcnewbie 06-29-2021 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishar (Post 5805917)
I have a trombetta, same thing right?

You do have a trombetta most likely. I just replaced mine and it repaired the boost funtion and now the house batteries charge while driving.
Many on here have helped and this is one of the threads that has a lot of info;

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/chas...-236888-2.html