iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Country Coach Owners Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f112/)
-   -   Generator dies (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f112/generator-dies-542825.html)

TriCitySam 06-25-2021 04:51 PM

Generator dies
 
Generator starts, but every time the power switched on, it died. Got home and leveled, and it ran fine. My old one you could run going down the road, so obviously not level. Any thoughts?

phays 06-25-2021 07:21 PM

Grab the instruction manual and see if the generator set an error code. It usually does. The manual also lists what caused the error code. Read how to get the error codes carefully as it is a bit confusing.

deandec 06-25-2021 08:19 PM

what do you mean by power switched on?

Does it switch on at home?

birdhunter 06-26-2021 08:01 AM

What branded model of generator do you have please?

TriCitySam 06-27-2021 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deandec (Post 5806678)
what do you mean by power switched on?

Does it switch on at home?

We'll, I'm not describing it correctly....but when the transfer switch kicks in. My Micro wave just starts to power up and it died.

deandec 06-27-2021 04:18 PM

So you are using the microwave control panel to determine if the Generator is ready to power the coach?

When it lights up, the power is available, but then quickly dies?

It sounds like a low voltage problem from the Generator or a heavy load situation in the rig or low fuel in the tank for the Generator fuel line.

Perhaps you had an electric water heater, air conditioner or two, or other power draw all trying to start that exceeded the Generator's capability and causing it to shut down.

If you can remember what was drawing 120vac when driving and trying to start the generator there might be a clue.

Did the generator start and run fine before you began driving?

Or, were you trying to start the generator while driving?

I cannot think of a leveling issue with a generator, unless your fuel tank is near the quarter full level. (I am assuming this is a diesel generator.) The generator fuel line will not suck fuel below 1/4 tank level.

dizcom 06-27-2021 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TriCitySam (Post 5806450)
Generator starts, but every time the power switched on, it died. Got home and leveled, and it ran fine. My old one you could run going down the road, so obviously not level. Any thoughts?


We had this happen on our last coach. Looking at youtube and forums like this one there are about a million reasons why it would happen and your problem probably isn't one of them. Too much oil? Possible. Needs an oil change? Also possible. Too hot? Also possible. Clogged something or other? Also possible. We never figured it out. The last few months we had the coach the generator never gave us a lick of trouble. What were the circumstances when it would cut out and what generator do you have? Has it been maintained? We did all the easy stuff, oil change, filter changes, oil level correct and all other maintenance items done. It was working great when I handed the keys to the next owner. I have no idea why.

TriCitySam 06-28-2021 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deandec (Post 5808805)
So you are using the microwave control panel to determine if the Generator is ready to power the coach?

No - but you easily tell when the transfer switch kicks the juice to the coach because you can see the power come on.....the clock lights up.

TriCitySam 08-02-2021 08:48 AM

Transfer Switch
 
My transfer switch is buzzing, so I'm think this is the issue.

wolfe10 08-02-2021 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TriCitySam (Post 5857151)
My transfer switch is buzzing, so I'm think this is the issue.


With shore power disconnected, generator and AGS off, inverter off:


Remove the lid to the ATS and verify that all connections are clean, tight and not burner.

twinboat 08-02-2021 08:58 AM

Transfer switch buzzing likely annoying but not likely your problem.

Switch off all breakers in the RV, start generator and wait 30 seconds.

If generator is still running, start switching breakers back on and see if one is causing the shutdown.

cntrylife 08-02-2021 09:42 AM

if i am interpreting your symptoms, the generator dies as soon as it gets under a load?
that sounds like a fuel issue but could be lots of things. Has it been serviced recently? My thoughts go to clogged fuel filters or fuel pump issues. They are a pretty straightforward little diesel motor, not sure about the age but there is little to affect the "motor" part of it except fuel, oil, water and air. IF it has those things it usually is pretty happy.
thinking on that, plugged air filters as well. The load on he gen will pop the breakers, not take the motor down. They do not work that way.

TriCitySam 08-03-2021 11:45 AM

Gen dies
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by cntrylife (Post 5857239)
if i am interpreting your symptoms, the generator dies as soon as it gets under a load?
that sounds like a fuel issue but could be lots of things. Has it been serviced recently? My thoughts go to clogged fuel filters or fuel pump issues. They are a pretty straightforward little diesel motor, not sure about the age but there is little to affect the "motor" part of it except fuel, oil, water and air. IF it has those things it usually is pretty happy.
thinking on that, plugged air filters as well. The load on he gen will pop the breakers, not take the motor down. They do not work that way.

It doesn't pop breakers, just dies like a heavy load.....like your lawn mower would in heavy grass.

cntrylife 08-03-2021 08:20 PM

that sounds like fuel, when it starts to pull, it can not get fuel or air.
Might be the governor as well but I would start with fuel filters and go from there.
How old is the diesel in the tank? If you have algea it usually shows up in smaller things like this first.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:33 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.