iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Southwest Region (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f69/)
-   -   Las Vegas owners, what are you paying for registration? (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f69/las-vegas-owners-what-are-you-paying-for-registration-543801.html)

tjZ06 07-02-2021 04:24 PM

Las Vegas owners, what are you paying for registration?
 
Hello all, I'm moving to Las Vegas soon, and we currently have a 2019 Newmar Mountain Aire 4018. I did a quick estimate using NV's DMV website and the total estimated registration fee was $9,300. I didn't think it could be worse than CA, which is about $2,700 but it's over 3 times more!

Is that really what people are paying to register a DP in Clark County, Nevada?

I guess it's time to look into the South Dakota option if this is really the case. I get it, it's an expensive/heavy coach and I'm sure I'll get some "if you can afford the coach you should be able to afford the registration" comments. It's not that I *can't* it's just that it seems ridiculously astronomical.

-TJ

RightUR 07-03-2021 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjZ06 (Post 5815918)
Hello all, I'm moving to Las Vegas soon, and we currently have a 2019 Newmar Mountain Aire 4018. I did a quick estimate using NV's DMV website and the total estimated registration fee was $9,300. I didn't think it could be worse than CA, which is about $2,700 but it's over 3 times more!

Is that really what people are paying to register a DP in Clark County, Nevada?

I guess it's time to look into the South Dakota option if this is really the case. I get it, it's an expensive/heavy coach and I'm sure I'll get some "if you can afford the coach you should be able to afford the registration" comments. It's not that I *can't* it's just that it seems ridiculously astronomical.

-TJ

SD or TX are wise choices

txcpl 07-04-2021 06:09 AM

Greedy taxing entities!

tjZ06 07-21-2021 10:55 PM

Nobody who is actually registering their RV in Las Vegas cares to share the cost?

-TJ

Jack Klompus 07-25-2021 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjZ06 (Post 5841463)
Nobody who is actually registering their RV in Las Vegas cares to share the cost?

-TJ

Bump.

I guess we will never know.

BobGed 07-25-2021 10:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The registration fees are very reasonable. However the state of NV has a Government Services Tax (GST) that is based on the year and MSRP of a coach. The MSRP is determined by the state, not what your sales contract might show, but it is adjusted based on the year of the coach.

The DMV applies a Valuation Factor of 35% of the adjusted MSRP to arrive at the DMV Valuation. There is no DMV Valuation depreciation for the first year, so you pay 4% of the full DMV Valuation.

The DMV Valuation depreciation for the second year is 5%, so you pay 4% of 95% of the DMV Valuation. Each year after that the DMV Valuation depreciation is reduced by 10% until the multiplier reaches a minimum of 15%.

I believe Clark county may have an additional county tax they calculate into the above, but I'm not sure as I live in Carson City.

If you're tempted to register your coach in some other state while residing the majority of your time and parking your coach in NV, I would be very, very careful. The penalties and fines are very severe.

There are a number of ways you can get caught. If you have a neighbor that owns an RV and is paying the tax, when they see an out-of-state license on your coach for more than 30 days one of them is very likely to turn you in.

County Sheriff Deputies and Nevada Highway Patrol are also very knowledgeable on this issue particularly when they see a coach registered in a state like SD or MT, but the towed vehicle is registered in NV. Then if they stop you and you show them a NV driver's license things can go downhill real quickly.

Your insurance company can be another problem. They are going to want to know where your vehicles are parked the majority of the time. If you have say SD plates on the coach and NV plates on your towed vehicle that will be hard to explain. If you tell them the truth they probably won't issue you a policy. That leaves the only other option of lying to them, which probably won't turn out well.

Now there will be those that say they have done it for years with no problems at all, and that's probably true. It just depends on how lucky you feel.

The attached table may help clarify the tax computation a bit. I just used a MSRP of $400,000 as an example.

vroom_vroom 09-04-2021 01:35 PM

Las Vegas owners, what are you paying for registration?
 
Late to the party but still. Whatís your msrp? My Winnie drop was 24k new in Ď18 and it is 320 to renew it this year while my Ď19 3500 is 850. You can drop it by about 100 bucks not being in Clark county but yes registration sucks out here. Not on the same scale as you but yes itís pretty accurate if you start multiplying the numbers.

F4Gary 09-04-2021 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vroom_vroom (Post 5901259)
Late to the party but still. Whatís your msrp? My Winnie drop was 24k new in Ď18 and it is 320 to renew it this year while my Ď19 3500 is 850. You can drop it by about 100 bucks not being in Clark county but yes registration sucks out here. Not on the same scale as you but yes itís pretty accurate if you start multiplying the numbers.

Probably about 20 times the value of your Winnie.

followingsea 09-04-2021 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjZ06 (Post 5815918)
Hello all, I'm moving to Las Vegas soon, ......

it's time to look into the South Dakota .......

-TJ

Why are you moving to Lost Wages?

Serious question, the only redeeming quality of Clark County for me is two granddaughters. The school system will provide an education to become cocktail servers on the stip.

When we retired, we spent a lot of time traveling in the MH looking for a place to settle. We established Washington State residency using a friends address and bought property to build a house. Tabs for boat, MH, and Toad were $226 this year.

Our son lived in Henderson, so we visited often in the winter. After they finally had a baby, we found visiting more often. Together we bought a bigger house with a bigger yard and RV parking.

As far as I can tell, nobody in Nevada cares where my MH and Toad are registered.

I have lived in states where they did care. If I was working a temporary assignment, my company would pay for me to go home every so often. I once got a $200 ticket when I moved out of the RV and into a house in Pennsylvania.

I not sure what you have to do in Las Vegas area to get pulled over.

So if you are retiring, you can 'reside' anywhere you want. The farther from California or New York the better.

fqberful 09-04-2021 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobGed (Post 5846553)
The registration fees are very reasonable. However the state of NV has a Government Services Tax (GST) that is based on the year and MSRP of a coach. The MSRP is determined by the state, not what your sales contract might show, but it is adjusted based on the year of the coach.

The DMV applies a Valuation Factor of 35% of the adjusted MSRP to arrive at the DMV Valuation. There is no DMV Valuation depreciation for the first year, so you pay 4% of the full DMV Valuation.

The DMV Valuation depreciation for the second year is 5%, so you pay 4% of 95% of the DMV Valuation. Each year after that the DMV Valuation depreciation is reduced by 10% until the multiplier reaches a minimum of 15%.

I believe Clark county may have an additional county tax they calculate into the above, but I'm not sure as I live in Carson City.

If you're tempted to register your coach in some other state while residing the majority of your time and parking your coach in NV, I would be very, very careful. The penalties and fines are very severe.

There are a number of ways you can get caught. If you have a neighbor that owns an RV and is paying the tax, when they see an out-of-state license on your coach for more than 30 days one of them is very likely to turn you in.

County Sheriff Deputies and Nevada Highway Patrol are also very knowledgeable on this issue particularly when they see a coach registered in a state like SD or MT, but the towed vehicle is registered in NV. Then if they stop you and you show them a NV driver's license things can go downhill real quickly.

Your insurance company can be another problem. They are going to want to know where your vehicles are parked the majority of the time. If you have say SD plates on the coach and NV plates on your towed vehicle that will be hard to explain. If you tell them the truth they probably won't issue you a policy. That leaves the only other option of lying to them, which probably won't turn out well.

Now there will be those that say they have done it for years with no problems at all, and that's probably true. It just depends on how lucky you feel.

The attached table may help clarify the tax computation a bit. I just used a MSRP of $400,000 as an example.




I really hate to say this and rain on this over taxed parade but it's only $60 [for most any motorized RV] a year for the Cornerstone in FL. We live far enough from the big cities to keep the insurance low.


I feel for you guys.

GOLDandGREY 09-04-2021 05:10 PM

I paid $1,690 last week, based on a $124k MSRP, two years old. Add $35 for the smog.

vroom_vroom 09-05-2021 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by F4Gary (Post 5901267)
Probably about 20 times the value of your Winnie.


That was my point. Take my registration and multiply it by 20. Itís a big number.

fcbbob15 09-05-2021 03:49 AM

Including the government services tax $2400 new $1658 this year. Plus smog check if your in Clark County.

TJFogelberg 09-05-2021 04:03 AM

We all know about the sales tax when you buy a rig...but I'm shocked at the high registration fee in NV. (That's a lot of $ in anybody's book).

In MN we pay the sales tax (like most other states) when we buy the rig...about 7%. The license registration fee is less than $150 on any motorhome as it is not based on the value of the RV. (There are no other registration fees or taxes after you buy it other than this less than $150 fee).

MN has an income tax and a huge corporate tax base...the Twin Cities are home to more Fortune 500 companies than almost any other place.

Semi-retired and plan to stay here until I die and travel extensively in the RV. I love Las Vegas as place to visit and will be there next month for 18 days.

OP...if it's a 1x fee and you know for sure you'll stay in NV for life, I'd bite the bullet and pay it.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.