iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Navigation, Routes & Roads (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f42/)
-   -   New York State Route 14 south from I90 to Watkins Glen (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f42/new-york-state-route-14-south-from-i90-to-watkins-glen-544225.html)

Debsivy1985 07-05-2021 08:29 PM

New York State Route 14 south from I90 to Watkins Glen

Has anyone travelled the New York State route 14 south from I90 to Watkins Glen KOA? I was wondering how the road conditions are since we’ve never travelled on it.

twinboat 07-05-2021 08:54 PM

Yes I have. Its only one lane but in good condition.
We take it down to I-86 from North West of Syracuse

jimjenturner 07-05-2021 08:56 PM

Seems to be a good road, was on it last week. Just keep your eyes open sometimes slow traffic, lots of wine tasters in the area.

dstewart1111 07-05-2021 09:01 PM

good road

Saturday and Sunday will be busy due to wine tours. good two land road. Live just south of there in Pa and traveled it many times in a car but not RV. A lot of the wineries have bus and rv parking if you want to stop.

Dave

Debsivy1985 07-06-2021 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Debsivy1985 (Post 5819850)
Has anyone travelled the New York State route 14 south from I90 to Watkins Glen KOA? I was wondering how the road conditions are since we’ve never travelled on it.

Would there be any alternative route ?

Winemaker2 07-06-2021 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Debsivy1985 (Post 5820080)
Would there be any alternative route ?

None that are better.
414 down the E side of the lake gets you there but 14 is a straighter / better road.

If you are looking for worthwhile activities there is obviously WG State Park gorge hike that is popular, Capt Bills boat tours, the Corning Museum of Glass (world class exhibits), Glen Curtis Museum in Hammondsport (excellent) and the Finger Lakes Boat Museum just N of Hammondsport (very good and improving all the time)
More wineries and breweries than you could ever want.

Debsivy1985 07-07-2021 06:30 AM

Thank you! We are also considering -south from I90 at Syracuse to I81 to Binghamton then taking I86 west to Watkins Glen. I’m sure it’s longer but maybe better roads?
We know we could take I88 from Lake George, but since we were on that going north a couple of years ago and found that road to really be rough we wanted to stay off of that. Route 90 was great.

Winemaker2 07-07-2021 07:28 AM

I dont think you will see any real issues with 14 and doubt the I81-I86 route much if any better... plus you will still have the rt 14 or 414 section from I86 to Watkins. Rt 14 N of Watkins is actually straighter than the section S or 414 s to Corning.
One thing you might check is any road construction on any / all of the routes you are considering. I believe the NYS DOT has a website listing construction/ repaving areas.
Also I88 has had some sections repaved in recent years if that makes a difference.
If it were me I'd strongly favor rt 14.

2cyber71 07-07-2021 07:33 AM

If you’re going to Watkins Glen KOA, there is a weight limit on the bridge coming from the south. Not sure what the limit is, but I can’t get to Watkins/Corning KOA with my DP a from the north. I have to come from Corning and go north on 414.
Call the CG, they might a route from the north to the CG.
I took 14 from the thruway to I 86 with my 43ft DP several times, no problem.

LETMGROW 07-07-2021 08:03 AM

We make the trip to Watkins Glen yearly and have been for the past 25 years for the NASCAR race weekend in early August. We travel down Rt. 81 to I 90 and exit at the Geneva exit and follow Rt. 14 to the Glen. It's a beautiful ride and drive on a good road from 90 to the Glen. Some of the prettiest scenery in the state through Wine country.
Enjoy the trip.

n2zon 07-07-2021 08:14 AM

The last time we were out that way, a bull (yup, horns and all) had gotten loose from one of the local dairy farms. He was having a grand time running down the side of the road, charging the cars that tried to pass him. Drivers were swerving all over the place trying to avoid 3/4 ton of mad hamburger on the hoof.

As we approached, he turned and started to charge us. Then, he saw the Winnie and visibly decided we were bigger than he was, and let us pass without incident.

A few of miles farther on, a lone trooper passed us going in the other direction, lights flashing, siren on. "Hope he grew up on a farm," thought I...

Winemaker2 07-07-2021 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2cyber71 (Post 5821494)
If you’re going to Watkins Glen KOA, there is a weight limit on the bridge coming from the south. Not sure what the limit is, but I can’t get to Watkins/Corning KOA with my DP a from the north. I have to come from Corning and go north on 414.

Call the CG, they might a route from the north to the CG.

I took 14 from the thruway to I 86 with my 43ft DP several times, no problem.

That is pretty confusing... you might check & clarify.

From The KOA Website...
"Getting to Watkins Glen/Corning KOA Resort

From Route 17/I-86, take Exit 46 to State Route 414 North, continue on 414 North for about 17 miles and you will find your destination on the right-hand side. From I-90 tollway, take Exit 42 to State Route 14 South for 45 miles to 414 South, take 414 South 5 miles to your destination on the left.**Get detailed directions."

I believe there is a truck restriction N bound on 414 on the hill entering Watkins Glen. There are Cl A MHs all around this area for race track events and vacation travel.

twinboat 07-07-2021 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n2zon (Post 5821535)
The last time we were out that way, a bull (yup, horns and all) had gotten loose from one of the local dairy farms. He was having a grand time running down the side of the road, charging the cars that tried to pass him. Drivers were swerving all over the place trying to avoid 3/4 ton of mad hamburger on the hoof.

As we approached, he turned and started to charge us. Then, he saw the Winnie and visibly decided we were bigger than he was, and let us pass without incident.

A few of miles farther on, a lone trooper passed us going in the other direction, lights flashing, siren on. "Hope he grew up on a farm," thought I...

That was quite the Bull story [emoji4]

n2zon 07-07-2021 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twinboat (Post 5822227)
That was quite the Bull story [emoji4]

At least no rooster was involved... (i.e., it's completely true).