iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Country Coach Owners Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f112/)
-   -   Dometic NDR1492 Refrigerator Replacement (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f112/dometic-ndr1492-refrigerator-replacement-544688.html)

Fredward 07-09-2021 10:54 AM

Dometic NDR1492 Refrigerator Replacement

While it is still working and between trips, I'm going to replace the cooling unit in my Dometic and because of boondocking will be putting in another gas/AC one. I'm having a hard time distinguishing the difference between new cooling units from JC Refrigeration, Pines RV Refrigeration, Dometic and a rebuilt unit.

Any experience would be appreciated.
Fred

Mainecoons 07-09-2021 12:53 PM

Following!

dfuelman 07-09-2021 01:21 PM

Does anyone know anything about the new 12volt refrigerators? My daughter just bought a new travel trailer and it has a 12volt frig. Haven't had a chance to check it out yet myself

dfuelman 07-09-2021 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fredward (Post 5824809)
While it is still working and between trips, I'm going to replace the cooling unit in my Dometic and because of boondocking will be putting in another gas/AC one. I'm having a hard time distinguishing the difference between new cooling units from JC Refrigeration, Pines RV Refrigeration, Dometic and a rebuilt unit.

Any experience would be appreciated.
Fred

I had the Dometic unit in my Coachman rebuilt with a unit from David Force 901-337-9948 Unit was Amish rebuild and came with transferable warranty. I had my local RV Tech install for 3 hrs labor. Worked very good after and I was happy with the outcome. If you current unit still looks nice, it is a viable option. It is possible to DYI, if you are handy with tools but I chickened out. LOL You do need to remove the refrigerator and lay it down on the front to do the swapout.

photopilot 07-09-2021 01:38 PM

JCRefrigeration has a 12V retrofit cooling unit. That would be my choice.

Walt

CountryFit 07-09-2021 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfuelman (Post 5824997)
Does anyone know anything about the new 12volt refrigerators? My daughter just bought a new travel trailer and it has a 12volt frig. Haven't had a chance to check it out yet myself

I know a person who bought his trailer with a 12v/gas duel source fridge by Norcold. Per him, it's a mini, counter tall.

dfuelman 07-10-2021 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CountryFit (Post 5825026)
I know a person who bought his trailer with a 12v/gas duel source fridge by Norcold. Per him, it's a mini, counter tall.

The daughter's is a full size unit. I need to get by and check it out, they have had it a month now and have not been able to try it out yet because all the camping spots close by are full. We hope to do a family camping trip soon to get it broke in RIGHT LOL. You know you are getting old when you youngest goes out and buys her own 30' travel trailer. That puts the age on you, LOL

CountryFit 07-10-2021 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfuelman (Post 5825807)
The daughter's is a full size unit. I need to get by and check it out, they have had it a month now and have not been able to try it out yet because all the camping spots close by are full. We hope to do a family camping trip soon to get it broke in RIGHT LOL. You know you are getting old when you youngest goes out and buys her own 30' travel trailer. That puts the age on you, LOL

Yep, we are getting old, can't stop it :laugh:. Get out and have fun as much as we can!

A full size 12v fridge would be great. With today's technology (probably nothing new), 12v can drive the compressor just as good as 120v, if not better, without the need of investing in a psw inverter (some 120v fridge requires psw).

Back to OP's question, 12v conversion is a viable solution. Either it or a 120v residential fridge will serve you well. Some people including me have gone through the latter path, partly because at the time 12v conversion wasn't available, and happy with the results. Now you have the choices, the tipping points might be the cost and ease of doing. Good luck!

letsride4 07-10-2021 10:30 AM

A few years ago I installed an new Amish built cooling unit, purchased from JC refrigeration. I was very happy with the results. The unit cooled very well in my opinion. We took a trip that included "Lost Wages" in August and the ambient temperature was 105. The frig stayed about 35 with that high ambient. While I had the frig out I did some addition work to get it to perform better. I added sheet foam insulation inside the refrigeration compartment to reduce the heat getting to frig. I also built a "seal" (angle aluminum with rubber riveted to it) to separate the cooling unit, which is pretty hot, from the area around food compartments. I had fans moving cooling air through the cooling unit blowing the hot air out the top vent. I also added an ARP protection device. Doesn't make the unit cool any better, but can prevent damage to the new cooling unit from parking out of level. The ARP allowed me to see the temperature of the boiler unit, which did provide some information about how the unit was functioning. I wish I had that setup in my current RV!!!
1 vote for new Amish cooling unit.

Gatesway 07-10-2021 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by letsride4 (Post 5826030)
A few years ago I installed a new Amish-built cooling unit, purchased from JC refrigeration.

Love to see pics of the process! Did you take any by chance?

letsride4 07-10-2021 11:05 PM

John -
Sorry; I did not take any pictures of the process, and no longer own the coach.

Mainecoons 07-11-2021 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatesway (Post 5826510)
Love to see pics of the process! Did you take any by chance?

Here's a detailed video.

https://jc-refrigeration.com/wp-cont...nit-Models.mp4

Fredward 07-26-2021 09:58 AM

Big Job

Well I talked with JC Refrigeration and ordered a replacement AC/Propane cooling unit for our Dometic 1492 two door refrigerator. It's going to arrive tomorrow. I'll probably get going on the remove/install project later this week. Also ordered new heating elements and the cooling fan.

I wonder if I should buy a new control board and install that while I'm at it ?

Fred

DJ55 07-26-2021 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fredward (Post 5847039)
I wonder if I should buy a new control board and install that while I'm at it ?

I'd do it. Since you're updating everything else and the control boards generally do fail as they get older, I'd want to get that failure point out of the way while I'm working on the unit. I'd probably consider the Dinosaur version since they're less expensive and get good reviews.