iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   TPMS sensors inside the tire or on the valve stems - Which is better? (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/tpms-sensors-inside-the-tire-or-on-the-valve-stems-which-is-better-544891.html)

VinceB 07-18-2021 04:12 PM

I've been using TST for 12-15 years. They have saved my bacon 3x. Pricey but way cheaper than being stuck or getting damage to your rig.

Peace of mind is priceless - the trailer and toad are too far away to know what is going on back there.

The book says to remove the sending units from the tire so they stop transmitting which allows the batteries to last longer - doing this, I get 3-4 years out of batteries. It is somewhat of a PITA but easier than changing batteries on the older sending units. I took a silver sharpie and marked which goes where.

I recently replaced my first sending unit this spring - water intrusion. I was happy to see they updated their sensors and now the batteries are much easier to replace. The new sending units are still compatible with my old B&W receiver. They do take a different battery so now I need to carry another size as I replace ASAP when they do die.

I'm 36'+ and tow a 22' trailer or my Wrangler 4-door and found a repeater isn't necessary. I have one for sale cheap if anyone needs one.

When I tow the trailer with the pickup, I don't install the sending units on the truck (has internal factory) but I do install on the trailer tires. The receiver doesn't seem to care that there is no signal from the 6 that go on the motor home.

I would never travel without the system and spare batteries.

keastab 07-18-2021 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDaveB (Post 5826848)
The externally-mounted donít accurately report tire temps. They are always within a few degrees of ambient temperature

Dave

I ahve no idea what tire monitoring system you have but my EEztire system is within 4 degrees of actual tire temps, it does lag a bit on initial trip start but catches up and stays current. I have had a low pressure tire alarm that went to heat alarm before the pressure got close to my low pressure alarm and saved the tire from damage.

msherw 07-18-2021 04:33 PM

We have stem-mounted RVi TPMS sensors that can easily be removed when they die and then be replaced. The onboard central hub reads the RV and the toad and as some say...the peace of mind is priceless.

RVi will replace any/all sensors for a flat $10 at end of life. RVi is the same company we use for our toad braking system.

JDaveB 07-18-2021 05:02 PM

Amazing

Dave

arcaguy 07-18-2021 05:18 PM

Just a couple of thoughts on external vs internal sensors. I had a 2008 F150 I sold a couple of years ago that had the original sensors and batteries so about 12 years on battery life. I also think that the internal sensors can have bigger batteries so they last longer. I'm not sure that the absolute temperature of the tire is nearly as important as any change in temperature, it seems that either style sensor would do OK at that. Just my dos centavos. Good luck whichever style you choose.

Ken Gluckman 07-18-2021 05:19 PM

I have had Valor internal sensors on my last two coaches and toads. They are excellent and, as stated above, there are advantages to internals. They are a bit more expensive, especially the installation cost, but if you are getting new tires anyway that wonít be a big deal.

If you are interested, contact:

Don Rigby

rigby.don@gmail.com

(800) 568-9188

He knows all about putting these on RVs and sells what you need. Good guy to work with. F

safwsu 07-18-2021 05:45 PM

Ditto from me. I did as noted.

Max Hubrich 07-18-2021 07:55 PM

TST identified my slow leak problem-

I'm addressing #12 thread, the slow leak issue, that the TST system identified, with this reply--

I also have a TST system, for many years now--- and I have devised a way to easily "Tighten" the seal on a very, very, slow leaking "Schrader valve"

Use a pair of "Schrader" valve "Jam nuts" to cure this slow leak issue, or hard to find leak. The valve stem "external tightening nut" can't cure this, many times, because the whole valve turns, without compressing this seal. This issue seems to come up when the temperature drops in winter time.

A very slow leaking valve can't be tighten most times, without the tire being removed, and "broken down", and then you have to put an "Allen Wrench" on/into the "inside part" of the "Schrader valve" to hold it firmly, while the external tightening nut is turned to compress the rubber seal--- to make it seal properly.

See my former thread, below.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/schr...ts-482590.html

Works great for me. I made these little beauties on my lathe, at home, out of 9/16" hexagon, steel stock---

Someone also mentioned to use some old "Schrader valve nuts", if you can find them---- That'll work too---

It's an odd ball, old time thread size. You can find a "Schrader Valve" "threading tap" with a "Google" search----

https://www.amazon.com/8V1-32-Schrad...1W50M4QJ2DWJEM

I've had this annoying "slow leak" issue for years, that no one can seem to find with soap and water---

I've stopped all my slow leak issues, with the help of the TST system.

I check all the tire pressures in the early morning, before the sun hits any tire- Yeah---

:dance:

Happy, safe travels to everyone---
Max

motorboatvz 07-18-2021 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R.Wold (Post 5828715)
At this point IĎm beginning to think that it doesnít matter if the internal sensors are more accurate (temp or pressure) than external sensors because what you are really concerned with is a change in pressure, or a significant variation in temp.

So that being the case and of course all the other reasons given, Iíll probably just opt for externals. This will also allow me to do it now rather than wait for new tires, which is probably a good idea as these tires are entering their last year of service.

I am with you one this one. I use them for a trend indicator. I check and air up my tires just before leaving on a trip of two to three weeks or about 2500 mile. Once set I just let my Tire Minder system tell what is going on with each tire. The pressure will always go up once the tire has be run a few mile and the temp will also change. But once they stop changing you can see all the pressures there in front of you and IF one of them starts to change you know you have a problem or if you are NOT watching the display it will alarm you to the fact. I just Upgraded to there A1AS system and it is working great. I use my MH to tow a Smart Car or a Flat bed trailer with my SUV on it and have not had any problems with the system. I just replace the battery's once a year but have gone 2 years. There older system was a little harder to use when driving because the buttons were small and to make it scroll after an alarm it was a little hard but the NEW system now show each tire and temp all at the same time without it scrolling. Plus IF you what to change from towing a car to a trailer you can just tell it that is what you are doing with out resetting each TPS sensor. I started using the Tire Minder system when I first got my 2014 Newmar Ventana 3436 and I think its one of the best things I have add to my coach..

dedobias 07-18-2021 09:07 PM

11 years

Quote:

Originally Posted by GypsyR (Post 5829708)
Well but IF your sensor batteries have about the same lifespan as your tires....
But that's a big if. I wouldn't be inclined at all to believe what the manufacturers say about them. But I would believe input from fellow forum members if one were to post up a poll like "How long did YOUR TPMS batteries last?" Hint, hint.

I have a 2010 Impala and one of 4 has a battery starting to go.

Blackey Cole 07-19-2021 03:50 AM

I went with exterior since my toad has internal. If I could have gotten a system that would work with mt 2020 Jeep Jl I would have went internal but none exists. So it depends on if you monitoring more than a single vehicle. But most will not be. Since most have a tow vehicle and a trailer or a Motorhome and either a toad or a trailer. Iíve blown many trailer tires when I was younger and didnít have the money to replace the tires on schedule or. A way to monitor them for heat. Now Iím in a better place and ordered 10 stem sensors and a remote and receiver this past year. I got 6 for the hotorhome 2 for the front tires which also have a run flat mod 4 for the duallies on each side and four for my Jeep toad. Iíll take the Jeepís off except when towing since it has internal tpms system already. But Iíll leave the mh on.

Ray,IN 07-19-2021 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dedobias (Post 5837294)
I have a 2010 Impala and one of 4 has a battery starting to go.

Those units are easy to replace though. It does confirm the "lasts the life of the tire" statement.

permitwriter 07-19-2021 10:12 AM

It seems that most of out toads have factory internal TPMS systems. Is there any way to read the output from those sensors with a receiver in the coach? Maybe I answered my own question when I did a Google search and didn't find anything.

Tireman9 07-19-2021 07:01 PM

internal / external

I have been running a direct comparison of the two types (TireTraker vs TST) of systems since March 2018 and have published the actual readings and data on my RV Tire blog.
Only significant difference is that the internal sensors report temperatures about 25įF hotter than external in cold weather days.

As far as I know this is the only direct comparison of two different types or brands TPMS.

Sorry I am not allowed to post a link to my blog.