iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Toads and Motorhome Related Towing (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/)
-   -   4 Bikes between Toad and RV (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/4-bikes-between-toad-and-rv-544924.html)

rvhynes 07-11-2021 08:23 AM

4 Bikes between Toad and RV

I know I have seen bikes on the back of the motorhome with a Toad and a hitch mounted bike rack.

I have a Class A Gas, towing a 2020 Wrangler JLU Willy's, Roadmaster Sterling All Terrain. I do have an appropriately rated Gen Y megahitch Dual receiver. I have not tried this combination out with a bike rack yet.

I am concerned about the clearance when making a turn. 4 Bikes, I am guessing the wheels would hit the Jeep on a tight turn.

Anyone have any experience with this before I spend a bunch of time testing this out?

Dany 07-11-2021 08:47 AM

Asking the same question

Looks as i am not the only one who whants to try it thanks any one for the answer

NXR 07-14-2021 09:12 PM

Could you hang the bikes on the rack and just extend the tow bar arms until they lock and then just walk the tow bar from side to side? If the tow bar ends stay well clear of the bikes I'd think you could try it for real.

Ray

Hoovis 08-27-2021 03:57 PM

Has anyone done this yet?

Bumping this thread as I just realized myself that I'd likely run into a problem with 4 bikes between the RV and my towed Jeep. (The bike rack is the Swagman XTC4, but I suspect any bike rack carrying 4 bikes with 24"+ tires will have clearance issues.)

Hoovis 08-29-2021 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoovis (Post 5890956)
Bumping this thread as I just realized myself that I'd likely run into a problem with 4 bikes between the RV and my towed Jeep. (The bike rack is the Swagman XTC4, but I suspect any bike rack carrying 4 bikes with 24"+ tires will have clearance issues.)

Bumping again as I'm running into timing problems. Has anyone successfully found a way to haul 4 bikes behind a Class A while also flat towing a lifted Jeep by the D-rings? I'm trying to figure out a way, and I've seen some that seem to have done it, but I don't have a lot of time to figure it out, so hoping someone can help me out. There must be a way, but I only have a couple weeks to figure it out before I need to leave "mom and dad's bikes" behind. Any help is much appreciated!

Looking to find way that gets 4 bikes between the back of a Class A and still gives clearance on tight turns for a flat towed vehicle. I assume I'm not the only one who wants to do this, so please help if you know of a way. I think the bike rack I bought extends too close and will make contact with the front of the Jeep on tight turns. Maybe a bike rack that hangs all bikes vertically? Not sure.

Any help is highly appreciated, as I can't find any info. Thanks!

Griswald One 08-29-2021 03:21 AM

I run with 2 bikes between my MH and my Sonic without issue... But I have to ask the obvious... You have a Jeep, why wouldn't you put the bike rack on the back of it?

atreis 08-29-2021 07:08 AM

Look at vertical bike racks, such as this:
https://www.altaracks.com/

There are others, but this style allows us to carry five bikes between the toad and RV.

Jake21 08-29-2021 09:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I carry Four off the back of the MH and tow a jeep. I put a extender on the tow bar. I only have had one issue in 100,000 miles. Steep driveway and a very tight turn. Jeep bumper made contact with the rack very slightly. Only happened once. Sorry i donít have a better pic.
Attachment 341316

Hoovis 08-29-2021 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griswald One (Post 5892637)
I run with 2 bikes between my MH and my Sonic without issue... But I have to ask the obvious... You have a Jeep, why wouldn't you put the bike rack on the back of it?

Two reasons. First being overall length. Second being that it would pretty much presume that I'm going to have to constantly be dealing with the bikes and the rack each time I'm wanting to disconnect or use the Jeep. So I'm hoping to find a more permanent solution.

Hoovis 08-29-2021 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atreis (Post 5892702)
Look at vertical bike racks, such as this:
https://www.altaracks.com/

There are others, but this style allows us to carry five bikes between the toad and RV.

Thank you! Will look into this further. If you have any further details or pictures, they would be highly appreciated.

Hoovis 08-29-2021 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake21 (Post 5892850)
I carry Four off the back of the MH and tow a jeep. I put a extender on the tow bar. I only have had one issue in 100,000 miles. Steep driveway and a very tight turn. Jeep bumper made contact with the rack very slightly. Only happened once. Sorry i donít have a better pic.
Attachment 341316

Thanks for this! The pic shows what I'm looking for well enough. I'm hesitant to use an extension as I've read that anything like that diminishes the weight rating by 50% (I don't know, just being cautious). My Jeep is "built" and already weighs quite a bit more than stock, so I'm trying to err on the side of caution. I'd assume this would likely work well for most, but I'm hesitant to try it with a Jeep on 35 inch tires and body armor all around it (I already need a 10" rise hitch and splitter for this so that I can use the D ring shackles to connect to the tow bar).

Appreciate the response!

jrs 08-29-2021 02:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This set up works for us. The bike rack is a Thule 2. The only downside is that it must come off to check engine fluids, etc. Had it done via Dan's Service Center formally Dan's Hitch in Elkhart.

Attachment 341348

nomad bull 08-30-2021 03:10 PM

I carried bikes on the back of a class c before my current coach. I added a receiver offset from center and loaded the bikes with rear wheels toward center. I then removed the front wheels from the bikes and ample clearance.

sw20td06 08-30-2021 04:48 PM

I tow 2-3 bikes in back of my Class A Diesel pusher using a Gen Y 6 position drop/rise hitch in the rise position. I put the tow bar on the second receiver hole and Swagman RV Bicycle Rack for 4 bikes on the top receiver hole.

I tow a 2001 Sequoia 4 x 4 that is probably close to the weight of your Jeep. I have a steel front bumper, roof rack with plano boxes, recovery gear and run a Rigid Armor hitch swingout tire carrier with Rotopax attachment. I also am lifted on 33 in. tires. Attached to the Rigid Armor swingout hitch is a hitch extender. Attached to that is a Hollywood Racks ebike rack holding two 80 lb ebikes.

Sounds like a lot, but it tows great and I've tried to do my best in researching what would be best for my setup. My problem was carrying both heavy ebikes and my 3 kids bikes so this was the solution I came up with.

We will be going on a trip this labor day weekend and may be taking all the bikes so I will post up some pics if we do bring them.