iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Toads and Motorhome Related Towing (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/)
-   -   4 Bikes between Toad and RV (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/4-bikes-between-toad-and-rv-544924.html)

rvhynes 07-11-2021 08:23 AM

4 Bikes between Toad and RV

I know I have seen bikes on the back of the motorhome with a Toad and a hitch mounted bike rack.

I have a Class A Gas, towing a 2020 Wrangler JLU Willy's, Roadmaster Sterling All Terrain. I do have an appropriately rated Gen Y megahitch Dual receiver. I have not tried this combination out with a bike rack yet.

I am concerned about the clearance when making a turn. 4 Bikes, I am guessing the wheels would hit the Jeep on a tight turn.

Anyone have any experience with this before I spend a bunch of time testing this out?

Dany 07-11-2021 08:47 AM

Asking the same question

Looks as i am not the only one who whants to try it thanks any one for the answer

NXR 07-14-2021 09:12 PM

Could you hang the bikes on the rack and just extend the tow bar arms until they lock and then just walk the tow bar from side to side? If the tow bar ends stay well clear of the bikes I'd think you could try it for real.

Ray

Hoovis 08-27-2021 03:57 PM

Has anyone done this yet?

Bumping this thread as I just realized myself that I'd likely run into a problem with 4 bikes between the RV and my towed Jeep. (The bike rack is the Swagman XTC4, but I suspect any bike rack carrying 4 bikes with 24"+ tires will have clearance issues.)

Hoovis 08-29-2021 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoovis (Post 5890956)
Bumping this thread as I just realized myself that I'd likely run into a problem with 4 bikes between the RV and my towed Jeep. (The bike rack is the Swagman XTC4, but I suspect any bike rack carrying 4 bikes with 24"+ tires will have clearance issues.)

Bumping again as I'm running into timing problems. Has anyone successfully found a way to haul 4 bikes behind a Class A while also flat towing a lifted Jeep by the D-rings? I'm trying to figure out a way, and I've seen some that seem to have done it, but I don't have a lot of time to figure it out, so hoping someone can help me out. There must be a way, but I only have a couple weeks to figure it out before I need to leave "mom and dad's bikes" behind. Any help is much appreciated!

Looking to find way that gets 4 bikes between the back of a Class A and still gives clearance on tight turns for a flat towed vehicle. I assume I'm not the only one who wants to do this, so please help if you know of a way. I think the bike rack I bought extends too close and will make contact with the front of the Jeep on tight turns. Maybe a bike rack that hangs all bikes vertically? Not sure.

Any help is highly appreciated, as I can't find any info. Thanks!

Griswald One 08-29-2021 03:21 AM

I run with 2 bikes between my MH and my Sonic without issue... But I have to ask the obvious... You have a Jeep, why wouldn't you put the bike rack on the back of it?

atreis 08-29-2021 07:08 AM

Look at vertical bike racks, such as this:
https://www.altaracks.com/

There are others, but this style allows us to carry five bikes between the toad and RV.

Jake21 08-29-2021 09:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I carry Four off the back of the MH and tow a jeep. I put a extender on the tow bar. I only have had one issue in 100,000 miles. Steep driveway and a very tight turn. Jeep bumper made contact with the rack very slightly. Only happened once. Sorry i donít have a better pic.
Attachment 341316

Hoovis 08-29-2021 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griswald One (Post 5892637)
I run with 2 bikes between my MH and my Sonic without issue... But I have to ask the obvious... You have a Jeep, why wouldn't you put the bike rack on the back of it?

Two reasons. First being overall length. Second being that it would pretty much presume that I'm going to have to constantly be dealing with the bikes and the rack each time I'm wanting to disconnect or use the Jeep. So I'm hoping to find a more permanent solution.

Hoovis 08-29-2021 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atreis (Post 5892702)
Look at vertical bike racks, such as this:
https://www.altaracks.com/

There are others, but this style allows us to carry five bikes between the toad and RV.

Thank you! Will look into this further. If you have any further details or pictures, they would be highly appreciated.

Hoovis 08-29-2021 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake21 (Post 5892850)
I carry Four off the back of the MH and tow a jeep. I put a extender on the tow bar. I only have had one issue in 100,000 miles. Steep driveway and a very tight turn. Jeep bumper made contact with the rack very slightly. Only happened once. Sorry i donít have a better pic.
Attachment 341316

Thanks for this! The pic shows what I'm looking for well enough. I'm hesitant to use an extension as I've read that anything like that diminishes the weight rating by 50% (I don't know, just being cautious). My Jeep is "built" and already weighs quite a bit more than stock, so I'm trying to err on the side of caution. I'd assume this would likely work well for most, but I'm hesitant to try it with a Jeep on 35 inch tires and body armor all around it (I already need a 10" rise hitch and splitter for this so that I can use the D ring shackles to connect to the tow bar).

Appreciate the response!

jrs 08-29-2021 02:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This set up works for us. The bike rack is a Thule 2. The only downside is that it must come off to check engine fluids, etc. Had it done via Dan's Service Center formally Dan's Hitch in Elkhart.

Attachment 341348

nomad bull 08-30-2021 03:10 PM

I carried bikes on the back of a class c before my current coach. I added a receiver offset from center and loaded the bikes with rear wheels toward center. I then removed the front wheels from the bikes and ample clearance.

sw20td06 08-30-2021 04:48 PM

I tow 2-3 bikes in back of my Class A Diesel pusher using a Gen Y 6 position drop/rise hitch in the rise position. I put the tow bar on the second receiver hole and Swagman RV Bicycle Rack for 4 bikes on the top receiver hole.

I tow a 2001 Sequoia 4 x 4 that is probably close to the weight of your Jeep. I have a steel front bumper, roof rack with plano boxes, recovery gear and run a Rigid Armor hitch swingout tire carrier with Rotopax attachment. I also am lifted on 33 in. tires. Attached to the Rigid Armor swingout hitch is a hitch extender. Attached to that is a Hollywood Racks ebike rack holding two 80 lb ebikes.

Sounds like a lot, but it tows great and I've tried to do my best in researching what would be best for my setup. My problem was carrying both heavy ebikes and my 3 kids bikes so this was the solution I came up with.

We will be going on a trip this labor day weekend and may be taking all the bikes so I will post up some pics if we do bring them.

Hoovis 08-31-2021 12:06 AM

Reply to the OP

@rvhynes, certainly didn't try to take over your thread, but may have found some stuff to help you in my own search. I'm just typing out loud, so hopefully it helps.

You mentioned you have a Gen Y receiver whereby you need a rise from the hitch to mount the tow bar, and also have another receiver just above for a bike rack. I think this affords you a good amount of flexibility. As I'm looking through my own options, I need a 10" rise to be level with the Jeep (tow bar attached to D rings), and I haven't found an option that also has another hitch higher without using an additional splitter.

Point being, I suspect you'll have some "tightness" between the two (top bike hitch and the tow bar hitch two inches lower), but at least you shouldn't be giving away any additional strength (relative to another splitter).

I'm assuming the Gen-Y is super solid and has little to no "play" in the hitch notches. The Velocirax (spoke to them today) is probably a great option. They can hold up to 7 bikes vertically, but the 4 bike option is only 49" wide, so it isn't even as wide as your wheelbase for most bikes. This should help with the clearance on each fender, and I was told that the vertical clearance is 3 inches from the hitch pin (meaning it goes straight up and close to the motorhome, but won't touch, with 3 inches between the baskets and the coach).

I'm no rep for them, and get nothing from this, but I suspect this is your best option. My own problem is that I need a 10" rise just for the tow bar, and don't see a Gen Y option for a 2" hitch that adds another hitch option higher for a bike rack. So I'm still working on it, but I'm not real confident (and simply won't do it) in adding a bunch of adapters.

Hope that helps some. My real problem is that we don't even have our coach yet. It left from NY today (we are in Seattle). Of all that we are figuring out, this is currently the most problematic. But again, to the OP, I *think* the Velocirax will work, or even the Alta rack (haven't been able to talk to Alta yet), bu those all depend on the stability of the hitch without wobble (Alta requires additional strapping that would need to be looked into, and I don't think is feasible for my coach as it doesn't have the squared bumper in the back).

That's all I know so far. I'm sure most would just add a 10" rise, then a 2 receiver splitter, then an extension for the tow bar for clearance, then prop up a bike rack above that... but while I'm no engineer, I'm confident this is a bad idea (Clark Griswold extension cord stuff).

Hoping I can find a solution, but I pretty much gave up for the week until I can see the actual tow bar on the coach with the inadequate clearance of the current 4 bike platform. Any more guessing will just drive me bonkers until I can see it in person. I'm just running out of time before I could even get something delivered that would work.

Hope any of this helps.

sw20td06 08-31-2021 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoovis (Post 5895252)
@rvhynes, certainly didn't try to take over your thread, but may have found some stuff to help you in my own search. I'm just typing out loud, so hopefully it helps.

You mentioned you have a Gen Y receiver whereby you need a rise from the hitch to mount the tow bar, and also have another receiver just above for a bike rack. I think this affords you a good amount of flexibility. As I'm looking through my own options, I need a 10" rise to be level with the Jeep (tow bar attached to D rings), and I haven't found an option that also has another hitch higher without using an additional splitter.

Point being, I suspect you'll have some "tightness" between the two (top bike hitch and the tow bar hitch two inches lower), but at least you shouldn't be giving away any additional strength (relative to another splitter).

I'm assuming the Gen-Y is super solid and has little to no "play" in the hitch notches. The Velocirax (spoke to them today) is probably a great option. They can hold up to 7 bikes vertically, but the 4 bike option is only 49" wide, so it isn't even as wide as your wheelbase for most bikes. This should help with the clearance on each fender, and I was told that the vertical clearance is 3 inches from the hitch pin (meaning it goes straight up and close to the motorhome, but won't touch, with 3 inches between the baskets and the coach).

I'm no rep for them, and get nothing from this, but I suspect this is your best option. My own problem is that I need a 10" rise just for the tow bar, and don't see a Gen Y option for a 2" hitch that adds another hitch option higher for a bike rack. So I'm still working on it, but I'm not real confident (and simply won't do it) in adding a bunch of adapters.

Hope that helps some. My real problem is that we don't even have our coach yet. It left from NY today (we are in Seattle). Of all that we are figuring out, this is currently the most problematic. But again, to the OP, I *think* the Velocirax will work, or even the Alta rack (haven't been able to talk to Alta yet), bu those all depend on the stability of the hitch without wobble (Alta requires additional strapping that would need to be looked into, and I don't think is feasible for my coach as it doesn't have the squared bumper in the back).

That's all I know so far. I'm sure most would just add a 10" rise, then a 2 receiver splitter, then an extension for the tow bar for clearance, then prop up a bike rack above that... but while I'm no engineer, I'm confident this is a bad idea (Clark Griswold extension cord stuff).

Hoping I can find a solution, but I pretty much gave up for the week until I can see the actual tow bar on the coach with the inadequate clearance of the current 4 bike platform. Any more guessing will just drive me bonkers until I can see it in person. I'm just running out of time before I could even get something delivered that would work.

Hope any of this helps.

In case you are looking for a drop/rise hitch higher than 10"

https://www.ebay.com/itm/262843490765

This is the one I have.

jpspaz 08-31-2021 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake21 (Post 5892850)
Attachment 341316

Can I ask what brand of bike rack this is? My four bike rack cannot handle the weight of four adult bikes as my kids are moving up. I need something stronger that won't sway around.

ArtJoyce 08-31-2021 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griswald One (Post 5892637)

Our rack hung to low. We were concern with the distance between bike wheels and toad when making tight turns.

We ended up adding hitch to toad.

Jake21 08-31-2021 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpspaz (Post 5896240)
Can I ask what brand of bike rack this is? My four bike rack cannot handle the weight of four adult bikes as my kids are moving up. I need something stronger that won't sway around.

Kuat NV 2.0 with the add-on. Fantastic rack. Also it drops so I can lift the engine access to check fluids and such. Highly recommend.

Hoovis 08-31-2021 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sw20td06 (Post 5895828)
In case you are looking for a drop/rise hitch higher than 10"

https://www.ebay.com/itm/262843490765

This is the one I have.

Thank you! I didn't know this existed until reading your post. This is the kind of thing I was looking for. Question, though, if you are able to answer, Anything with a 12" rise or drop is recommended to have the Gen-Y stabilizer (GH-0100) for bracing as the weight capacity ratings diminish. Perhaps if my Toad is at 10" rise, and the bikes are above, mathematically I wouldn't think it is too big of a concern (assuming I can reach), but can you share your setup and how you use it. Since I'm doing a 10" rise (rather than a drop) already to make the tow bar flat with the D-ring shackles, I don't see how to add a Gen-Y stabilizer from above. Maybe, but would then still need to be able to raise the bottom wheels 35"+ off the ground (for any kind of rack, whether it be hanging, vertical, or platform).

(BTW, this would all be easier to figure out if the coach was here, but it's only en route from NY to Seattle at this time. Still very much appreciate all the discussion and feedback.)

This is the rear of the coach, BTW. I was told the riding height of the hitch is 18", which is why I need a 10" rise for the height of the Jeep bumper. (Let's see if I figured out how to add a picture.) :)

https://imgur.com/a/mGD5y8i

(Still don't know how to embed the pic, but the link seems to work.)

jpspaz 09-01-2021 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake21 (Post 5896335)
Kuat NV 2.0 with the add-on. Fantastic rack. Also it drops so I can lift the engine access to check fluids and such. Highly recommend.

Their website says "not RV compatible." Does it count if they are on the back of my toad? :) My guess is that most companies will state that as a way to avoid liability or issues if the rack doesn't hold up.

arcaguy 09-01-2021 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoovis (Post 5895252)
My own problem is that I need a 10" rise just for the tow bar, and don't see a Gen Y option for a 2" hitch that adds another hitch option higher for a bike rack. So I'm still working on it, but I'm not real confident (and simply won't do it) in adding a bunch of adapters.

You might want to take another look at Gen Y drop hitches. I have a 2" that has, I think, six positions for the insert. My tow bar is on one of the bottom 2 so there are 4 more positions above where my tow bar is inserted. I think they go up to 8 positions. It's a beast of a set up but it works for me. Here's a link to their "drop" hitches. https://genyhitch.com/product/mega-duty-10k-drop-hitch/
I use mine inverted. Good luck.

Jake21 09-01-2021 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpspaz (Post 5896850)
Their website says "not RV compatible." Does it count if they are on the back of my toad? :) My guess is that most companies will state that as a way to avoid liability or issues if the rack doesn't hold up.

Yeah. I talked to the guys at Kuat. (Iím a dealer). They told me that they have not tested the rack for RV use so they put that disclaimer up. I personally have tested the rack for over 100,000 miles with four bikes on it on the back of my American Eagle. IMO it is RV tested (by me).

Caveat. My bikes are pretty light. All four are carbon. Probably all four weigh less than 80 pounds total.

jpspaz 09-01-2021 11:46 AM

I'm probably going to order one. Even though my bikes are heavier, the guy at the local shop said probably the best rack out there for four bikes.

Jake21 09-01-2021 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpspaz (Post 5897224)
I'm probably going to order one. Even though my bikes are heavier, the guy at the local shop said probably the best rack out there for four bikes.

IMO, it is.

atreis 09-01-2021 04:45 PM

Very very few racks are rated for RV use. Alta Racks was one of the rare exceptions that also was a vertical rack, so they got my money.

ArtJoyce 09-01-2021 05:41 PM

I think the issue is on the back of a trailer with some distance from the rear axle and no shocks. Going over large bump the bike rack can move up and down a few feet with no shocks. This is a lot of stress on the bottom of the rack.

I heard of several people that there racks have failed

sw20td06 09-01-2021 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoovis (Post 5896703)
Thank you! I didn't know this existed until reading your post. This is the kind of thing I was looking for. Question, though, if you are able to answer, Anything with a 12" rise or drop is recommended to have the Gen-Y stabilizer (GH-0100) for bracing as the weight capacity ratings diminish. Perhaps if my Toad is at 10" rise, and the bikes are above, mathematically I wouldn't think it is too big of a concern (assuming I can reach), but can you share your setup and how you use it. Since I'm doing a 10" rise (rather than a drop) already to make the tow bar flat with the D-ring shackles, I don't see how to add a Gen-Y stabilizer from above. Maybe, but would then still need to be able to raise the bottom wheels 35"+ off the ground (for any kind of rack, whether it be hanging, vertical, or platform).

(BTW, this would all be easier to figure out if the coach was here, but it's only en route from NY to Seattle at this time. Still very much appreciate all the discussion and feedback.)

This is the rear of the coach, BTW. I was told the riding height of the hitch is 18", which is why I need a 10" rise for the height of the Jeep bumper. (Let's see if I figured out how to add a picture.) :)

https://imgur.com/a/mGD5y8i

(Still don't know how to embed the pic, but the link seems to work.)

No problem. Yes I saw the stabilizers are recommended, however I am only using the second position in the rise position for the towed vehicle and the top position for the bicycle rack. Bikes on there are cheapy kids bikes. Although not completely wobble free, I don't think my weight would necessarily need the stabilizer. And like you said I wouldn't know how to make that work. I'm sure a fabricator could fab something up but don't know if it would be worth it. Gen Y also makes a stabilizer pin that I utilize.

I have my Gen Y hitch also on the rise position just to level the tow bars with the tow vehicle since my tow vehicle is also lifted 3 inches and on 33 in tires. I use a Roadmaster Tow Bar which recommends certain heights to tow. Doesn't have to be completely parallel, but with a certain 8 inches or something, I would have to check my documentation in my RV.

I am going away for the weekend and will be setting up my RV and tow vehicle on Friday. I'll try and get some pictures then. BTW, the GEN Y hitch is really heavy. If you have back issues or anything, be mindful of that. lol. It's very stout and made in America.

Hoovis 09-08-2021 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sw20td06 (Post 5897653)
No problem. Yes I saw the stabilizers are recommended, however I am only using the second position in the rise position for the towed vehicle and the top position for the bicycle rack. Bikes on there are cheapy kids bikes. Although not completely wobble free, I don't think my weight would necessarily need the stabilizer. And like you said I wouldn't know how to make that work. I'm sure a fabricator could fab something up but don't know if it would be worth it. Gen Y also makes a stabilizer pin that I utilize.

I have my Gen Y hitch also on the rise position just to level the tow bars with the tow vehicle since my tow vehicle is also lifted 3 inches and on 33 in tires. I use a Roadmaster Tow Bar which recommends certain heights to tow. Doesn't have to be completely parallel, but with a certain 8 inches or something, I would have to check my documentation in my RV.

I am going away for the weekend and will be setting up my RV and tow vehicle on Friday. I'll try and get some pictures then. BTW, the GEN Y hitch is really heavy. If you have back issues or anything, be mindful of that. lol. It's very stout and made in America.

Thanks everyone! (sw20td06 in particular... who sent me a few exceptionally helpful photos.) I took the advice of many of you and ordered the Gen-Y hitch. Still won't see it for 3-8 days, though, so still having to do some guesswork.

sw20 provided an option that would most likely work, but my math indicates the Velocirax 4(12) has even better odds (and will be easier to use... for all but my pocketbook). The Swagman 4RV only extends a bit more than 34" from the hitch pin, which is great (probably works), but even the smallest bike we have is 60" from front to rear (not the wheelbase, but total length to consider if pushed against a wall).

The Velocirax 412 is only 49" wide, but with the vertical hanging, and biggest tire being 29", I'm estimating about 42" from the hitch pin (can't be sure yet). But that would be a center bike with the 24" tires on one end and a 27 inch tire on the other end. Best I can tell, this gives me clearance on both sides.

My geometry is a little rusty, but I'm decent at math, and calculate that this probably works fine with the Gen-Y hitch on its way and the coach not showing up for about 13 hours or so (according to the delivery driver coming from across the country). :)

I'll chime in once I know for sure, so others can hopefully benefit, but I "think" this will work. The ALTA rack was also a good option, but I never got a call back and thus was left guessing on some things.

Truly appreciate the input from everyone! All of it really helps. Just sold the Swagman 4XTC (brand new locally) as I realized it wouldn't work, so hopefully one of these two solutions work. Just running out of time to make it work (without destroying my shoulder over the next several months), so really am thankful for all the input of all of you to help me out.

When I have confirmation of success or failure, I'll update. As noobs, we are cognizant that we simply don't know a lot of things we don't even know yet, so appreciate all your help! You can rest assured that I have a ton more stupid questions to come. :)

(As a total aside, was thrilled that the TravelData device showed up after being out of stock... but it doesn't power up when plugged in, so that's another problem to figure out on limited time... There's always something else to troubleshoot and figure out, I assume.) :facepalm:

Hoovis 09-25-2021 05:18 AM

Just an FYI, I figured out a solution, at least for me... in case it helps anyone:

https://arewenuts.com/blog/post/1157...ing-thankfully

Hpozzuoli 09-25-2021 06:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yep I do it occasionally. I added 2 extra receivers and can tow with the center one and stick bike racks in the other 2. I added the receivers so I could install tow hooks if I ever got stuck then realized I could stick stuff in them and get use out of them. I keep the blue ox out as far as possible to avoid any rubbing. Works perfectly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoovis (Post 5892626)
Bumping again as I'm running into timing problems. Has anyone successfully found a way to haul 4 bikes behind a Class A while also flat towing a lifted Jeep by the D-rings? I'm trying to figure out a way, and I've seen some that seem to have done it, but I don't have a lot of time to figure it out, so hoping someone can help me out. There must be a way, but I only have a couple weeks to figure it out before I need to leave "mom and dad's bikes" behind. Any help is much appreciated!

Looking to find way that gets 4 bikes between the back of a Class A and still gives clearance on tight turns for a flat towed vehicle. I assume I'm not the only one who wants to do this, so please help if you know of a way. I think the bike rack I bought extends too close and will make contact with the front of the Jeep on tight turns. Maybe a bike rack that hangs all bikes vertically? Not sure.

Any help is highly appreciated, as I can't find any info. Thanks!