iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   iRV2.com General Discussion (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/)
-   -   Electrical question (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/electrical-question-545550.html)

tropical36 07-24-2021 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyV (Post 5832813)
As a "new" class A coach owner, is it possible to run a small class A with the 50 amp power cord connected to a 30 amp service for any length of time? If not what would be the main problems??

Thanks for your help with this.

Ours runs 24/7 along with two A/C's in our driveway.
The elect. hot water tank isn't on however. Nor are we running the microwave, the toaster....etc...et...
If we should though, the EMS would just shed one or both ac's until power available was restored and then come back on automatically.

johnmontgome 07-24-2021 01:38 PM

You can do it for ever. The restriction isn't time it's electrical load. You just can not run everything in the unit at one time. There are charts showing how much power certain equipment draws and you can not exceed 30 amps and even at 30 amps you are at risk of damaging YOUR equipment because when you go over the limit of amperage the voltage will start to drop and YOUR equipment will start to overheat and be damaged. Also when you overload the receptacle you are plugged into will burn up.
You might be able to run you refrigerator and one ac with some lights. More than that is starting to get risky. Never ever try 2 ac's.

twinboat 07-24-2021 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aschuller1 (Post 5843235)
Do it all of the time when at parks don't offer 50 AMPS. Dog leg adapter will work just fine. However, you may not be able to run your AC's. Do a test and see how many AMPS your AC's draw at start up.

Since ACs have 20 breakers, running one AC on 30 amps is easly doable.

tropical36 07-24-2021 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tropical36 (Post 5844430)
Ours runs 24/7 along with two A/C's in our driveway.
The elect. hot water tank isn't on however. Nor are we running the microwave, the toaster....etc...et...
If we should though, the EMS would just shed one or both ac's until power available was restored and then come back on automatically.

I forgot to mention that we have two fridges constantly running as well. Then of course the charger for keeping the batteries up.
The service I put in is fed with #8 awg wire with a 40amp breaker behind it. It seldom goes above 26amps. The 40amp breaker in all likelihood does nothing for me, as I'm most sure the EMS will start to shut things down above 30amps anyway.

Alan_Hepburn 07-24-2021 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobra1025 (Post 5842295)
...Your pushing out only 30amp and your rig wants 50amps...

Electricity doesn't work that way: amps are pulled, not pushed. A circuit will only draw as many amps as it needs, and nothing more. Your typical alarm clock draws maybe an amp at most, but it's most likely plugged in to a 15A circuit in your home. And that 15A circuit is fed from a 100A or 200A service - it'll run like that for decades full time...

diesel-dan 07-27-2021 02:19 PM

We also run ours often on 30A, and always do at home as that's the service at our RV building. Both ACs run fine on 30A and many of the parks we go to only have 30A service.

That said, I learned a valuable lesson, one that many posters on this thread and another power related one have spoken to.

One camp in particular is a known for us for running low voltage, so we have a good surge/power monitor/protector unit in-line. Last trip there it was hot and the voltage supplied just wouldn't run both ACs, so we went with the genny. When I unplugged from the pedestal the 30A extension I had was HOT.

When we got home I started going through the cables from the 50A on the rig side to the extension we hooked up to everything with. We've been using a Dogbone adapter that came with our rig; never thought to inspect it or any of the other connections. Well using an infrared temperature gun, I found that with both ACs on the Dogbone was significantly hotter than everything else! So lesson #1) check your connections (bright and shiny brass) AND proactively replace the Dogbone - I think they just go bad, slowly.

I had a difficult time pulling the old Dogbone off the rig's 50A plug, and when I got it off found boy had we been lucky. The rig-side 50A plug was all discolored and some of the blades were no longer straight (it will be replaced), but the Dogbone female 50A was unbelievable - melted and distorted, the neutral metal was almost completely gone :eek:. What a fire hazard! Now I don't know how long this has been going on, since I'd never pulled the Dogbone off. Instead of a Dogbone I've gone to a solid 50A Female in to 30A male out adapter - runs nice and cool.

Lesson #2) I also was guilty of running too long of extension cords and found the 50' 30A cord we always used had signs of getting hot - another connector replacement, but more important: bought a couple of far shorter extension cords.

And Lesson #3) I cleaned up every connection and will from now on routinely check them.

Lastly I bought a 50A surge/power protector and will put the 30A one into backup duty...

Bottom line: we were extremely lucky, and this was a: :facepalm: for me.

Pay attention to these folks - they know what they are talking about...:thumb: :bow: