iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   1999 Ford F-53 Chassis V-10 engine randomly shuts off...PLEASE HELP (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/1999-ford-f-53-chassis-v-10-engine-randomly-shuts-off-please-help-546004.html)

Rymancn 07-18-2021 06:48 PM

1999 Ford F-53 Chassis V-10 engine randomly shuts off...PLEASE HELP

Hey everyone, I'm hoping you guys can help steer me in the right direction. I have a 1999 Damon Challenger that sits on the Ford F53 chassis with the V-10 motor. I have a very intermittent problem where the engine will randomly shut off for no apparent reason. It has done this 3 times while the gear selector is in park and I was sitting in our campsite after just arriving. It has never done this multiple times in a row, but rather it has been on separate occasions. It did happen once before while going down the interstate at 60MPH. After coasting to the shoulder I put the gear selector in park, re-started the engine and we continued without any problems for the remaining 2 hours of driving. In every instance, the engine always turns right back on and it has never left me stranded (knock on wood). So far I have performed the following: replaced fuel filter, replaced fuel pump, replaced all spark plugs and coil packs, replaced cam shaft sensor, replaced fuel pump relay and PCM relay.

Its such an intermittent issue that I have not taken it to the dealer, plus I believe in trying to make as many repairs as I can myself to save $$$. I'm wondering if any other Ford V-10 owners out there have experienced this same issue and if they have found any remedy? Thanks in advance :)

tiffy2000 07-18-2021 06:58 PM

shuts off

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rymancn (Post 5837092)
Hey everyone, I'm hoping you guys can help steer me in the right direction. I have a 1999 Damon Challenger that sits on the Ford F53 chassis with the V-10 motor. I have a very intermittent problem where the engine will randomly shut off for no apparent reason. It has done this 3 times while the gear selector is in park and I was sitting in our campsite after just arriving. It has never done this multiple times in a row, but rather it has been on separate occasions. It did happen once before while going down the interstate at 60MPH. After coasting to the shoulder I put the gear selector in park, re-started the engine and we continued without any problems for the remaining 2 hours of driving. In every instance, the engine always turns right back on and it has never left me stranded (knock on wood). So far I have performed the following: replaced fuel filter, replaced fuel pump, replaced all spark plugs and coil packs, replaced cam shaft sensor, replaced fuel pump relay and PCM relay.

Its such an intermittent issue that I have not taken it to the dealer, plus I believe in trying to make as many repairs as I can myself to save $$$. I'm wondering if any other Ford V-10 owners out there have experienced this same issue and if they have found any remedy? Thanks in advance :)

Sounds like a random electrical issue to me which are probably the hardest to track down. The early V10s did have a bad ground for the ECM which is where I would start , also check chassis ground and fuel pump ground and relay sockets for corroded / bad connections. May need to hook up some test lights to different points and run it that way to see what drops out. Good luck

GPCPL 07-18-2021 06:58 PM

Can you pull any codes from the ECM?

Rymancn 07-18-2021 07:58 PM

Thank you so much for the quick reply, you guys are great. I was also learning toward some type of electrical issue, which unfortunately is going to be super difficult to trace down as you mentioned. In reference to a bad ground on the EMC as you mentioned, about 2 years ago I experienced some weird shifting issues with the transmission. After some research I found there was a technical service bulletin for 1999-2000 F53 chassis in which erratic transmission shifts would take place. During this repair I had too created a new ground jumper wire from the PCM and ground it to the firewall. The TSB stated there was a ground issue between the ABS model and the PCM. After completing this work I've never had issues with the erratic transmission shifting. I'm wondering if perhaps that would have anything to do with what I am experiencing?

Rymancn 07-18-2021 08:00 PM

GPCPL.....There are no codes that pop up. One would think that would happen, but nope, I'm not that luck LOL

Rymancn 07-18-2021 08:36 PM

Tiffy2000......Do you think it would be smart for my to just purchase a new ECM computer module? I found a place on Ebay which sells remanufactured EMC's for around $350.00 and that also includes the necessary programming. I just send them my Vin# along with some other info and they send me the rebuilt ECM.

Rymancn 07-18-2021 08:37 PM

https://www.ebay.com/itm/352092717873

Here is a link for the ECM

Mark_T 07-19-2021 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rymancn (Post 5837191)
GPCPL.....There are no codes that pop up. One would think that would happen, but nope, I'm not that luck LOL

Some codes will not turn on the check engine light.

On my RV the engine used to die while driving. I could put it in neutral and it would start right up. Turned out to be bad battery connections. Mine had wing nuts on the battery terminal cables connectors. I replace the connectors and that fixed it. I found it my using a volt meter on the battery post and then on the battery cables and comparing the two.

Btw I read that most ecms that are replaced are perfectly fine. Maybe leave that one as a last resort.

tiffy2000 07-19-2021 05:49 AM

pcm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark_T (Post 5837484)
Some codes will not turn on the check engine light.

On my RV the engine used to die while driving. I could put it in neutral and it would start right up. Turned out to be bad battery connections. Mine had wing nuts on the battery terminal cables connectors. I replace the connectors and that fixed it. I found it my using a volt meter on the battery post and then on the battery cables and comparing the two.

Btw I read that most ecms that are replaced are perfectly fine. Maybe leave that one as a last resort.

I agree with Mark T , I'd leave the PCM replacement as the last thing , check all the connections ...I've read where a person had replaced several starters (all under warranty) and finally a garage found a battery ground that pulled right out of the connection or wasn't even under a bolt on the frame (I forget which)

The TSB refers to bad grounds for the PCM not the PCM being bad, should be able to google it or look up waiter21's post on here about it.

Rymancn 07-19-2021 07:23 AM

Thank you guys for all of the great input. I'll take your advice and start with the simple stuff first and check some grounds and connections, etc. and save the ECM as a last resort. I'll keep you in the loop as time goes on. Sometimes it can be weeks if not longer before this issue surfaces again and it only ever happens while traveling. I've tried to re-recreate the same issue while sitting in my driveway, but as luck would have it, it never acts up at the house.

Rymancn 09-02-2021 08:41 AM

Update

First, I want to say THANK YOU for everyone who has posted on this thread in an effort to help me track down this gremlin lol. I took your advice and checked/cleaned all of my battery connections. Nothing seems out of the ordinary and everything looked fine. Last week we left for a camping trip and about 10-15 minutes later, the generator randomly shuts down. I let it sit for about 5 mins and started it back up. After starting it back up it run perfect the entire 2 hour trip. I recently replaced the fuel filter, spark plugs, fuel pump, and had a complete carb job done on it by a local Onan shop. I'm wondering if my wiring for my generator is also connected to my main drive battery that cranks my engine? It's odd that my drive motor and generator will just randomly shut off but they also start right back up. I'm trying to figure out where to go from here. Any help would me much appreciated. Thanks

donr103 09-02-2021 09:33 AM

Could be connection but doubt it.. on eng.. I would check live data on the scanner.. [ if OBD2] ... I bet you could have EGR. Valve sticking.. to verify I would bypass it temporarily... tell us model for gen.. so critters love tasty rv tasty wires and rubber hoses and lines.. so when things go haywire or don't make sense keep critters in the back of your mind.. they can make nest, create shorts.. and eat the tiniest holes that will leak air into fuel line on gen.. up under rv fuel tank.. back to eng.. add a fuel pressure gauge. And monitor that and see.. but I bet you have sticking egr.. the problem is.. there are several main parts to EGR. 1, position sensor... 2, valve... 3, solenoid.. and 4, all the wires and vacuum lines. You know by now.. you just have a ford f250 or f350 light duty truck eng... so you have same eng in ford pickup as your rv.. so.. go to nearest auto parts store and grab a book for 1999 ford f250 or f350 and there you see how to test.. there is wiring and vacuum diagrams.. if you don't have a scanner grab one too.. I can't remember if you have OBD1 OR OBD2 let us know if you have any questions.. and good luck and keep us posted.. also.. when is last time you have taken off TB.. and cleaned..?

Rymancn 09-03-2021 08:10 AM

Thank you DonR for the feedback.

My generator is a Onan model 5.0 BGE-FA/26100P. I did notice the other day a very small fuel leak where the fuel line connects to the fuel pump on the generator. It's extremely minimal but perhaps it could be the issue???

I have already replaced the crank shaft positioning sensor and throttle body sensor. Someone also mentioned it could be a faulty key ignition that is shorting out/shutting the engine off at random times. Is this a possibility?

What valve and solenoid are you referring too?

By TB I am assuming you mean throttle body? If so, I haven't taken that off and cleaned it anytime recently that I can recall. Is that something I should look into?

I do have a OB2 scanner and will used that next time I'm on a trip. I can let the engine idle here in the driveway and will never shut off for hours. If it only it were that easy :cool:

donr103 09-03-2021 09:43 AM

So I was reading on another post.. same problem.. but different model and it was the battery disconnects.. the contacts inside get very corroded over time and need cleaning up.. real good.. some come apart and some you just replace.. and on my GM rv old I had similar issues.. it was the battery disconnect solenoid.. there are 2.. do yours look old.. before you touch anything.. use cell phone with camera and flash and record the set up.. thousands of wires.. record where each goes.. and use zip ties to tie them so they are bundled on the side of the solenoid they go to.. also small wire brushes to clean the corrosion off the wires.. got to ho.. I now remember that was my problem too.. good luck and keep us posted