iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f45/)
-   -   Am I being ridiculous? (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f45/am-i-being-ridiculous-546353.html)

ThirdSpaceCO 07-21-2021 09:16 AM

Am I being ridiculous?
 
Just a quick rant and a question.

I rented a 30-ft long travel trailer through the rental site Outdoorsy and I showed up to the guy's house to pick up the trailer and he doesn't have or use a weight distributing hitch. I was shocked and told him that I could not take delivery of the rental as it was unsafe. He looked at me like I was crazy! He says he rents it all the time and no one has ever had an issue. I've rented probably 10 travel trailers at this point and EVERY ONE OF THEM has come with a weight distributing hitch.

I'm towing with a late model Chevrolet half-ton truck with plenty of payload and the max tow package. My wife is livid as we're driving 4 hours away to another state to camp on a lake and it's going to be blazing hot. She's not super excited about tent camping with our two little toddlers.

I feel like I did the right thing. What are your thoughts?

Badjuju 07-21-2021 10:32 AM

Wow! Loaded question much? Death from highway accident due to out-of-control trailer sway? Or death by "1000 cuts" from verbal abuse by sweaty spouse dealing with cranky kids? Tough call on that one....

Seriously, you made the right call in terms of putting your family's safety first. Still planning to head out on an multi-day outing to sleep in a hot tent? Maybe rethink that one and reschedule. :)

carybosse 07-21-2021 10:42 AM

What are the rules on Outdoorsy? I would think that would be explicitly spelled out by them.

I have never rented a travel trailer, my rentals have been limited to U-Haul & Home Depot, and they are expecting the lowest common denominator. They are expecting people to have minimal tow capacity.

I haven't considered what my expectations would be on a rental, but you made the proper decision to be safe.

PulNSerenity 07-21-2021 10:48 AM

Yeah that's a tough one. If you have more than enough truck for the trailer I might would let this one go, but you would definitely be better off with one on there. I pull 5th wheel so maybe I shouldn't comment. Most of your TT guys will say yes. Gotta have it! On the other hand, I see probably 75% of the drivers that deliver trailers to dealers DO NOT have any kind of weight dist. or sway bars on their rigs. I find that odd. You would think that would be mandatory for them to have or they don't get the run. I think I would want to run one if it were me, but I don't know if it would be a deal breaker, if I had a stout enough truck.

RetiredbutWorking 07-21-2021 10:49 AM

I see way to many half ton trucks being abused by camper folks in my travels so it's probably a good thing you are not renting the trailer.

Old-Biscuit 07-21-2021 10:51 AM

Chevy 1/2 ton-----30' trailer

No WDH.....No deal

Simple........

ThirdSpaceCO 07-21-2021 10:52 AM

The renter said he put in his ad that the hitch was not included and he expected the renter to bring their own. Who brings their own weight distributing hitch?!! I mean, half of the hardware is already bolted to the trailer and set up for that specific trailer so how could I bring my own? And for that matter what RENTER carries around their own WDH?

Part of this is on me. I realize that. I should have asked explicitly if he had one and not just assumed. Like I said, I have rented about 10 travel trailers at this point and they have all had a WDH included.

I think we're just done renting at this point. Much less headache just to own your own rig and not have to worry about all the what-ifs.

ThirdSpaceCO 07-21-2021 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PulNSerenity (Post 5840535)
Yeah that's a tough one. If you have more than enough truck for the trailer I might would let this one go, but you would definitely be better off with one on there. I pull 5th wheel so maybe I shouldn't comment. Most of your TT guys will say yes. Gotta have it! On the other hand, I see probably 75% of the drivers that deliver trailers to dealers DO NOT have any kind of weight dist. or sway bars on their rigs. I find that odd. You would think that would be mandatory for them to have or they don't get the run. I think I would want to run one if it were me, but I don't know if it would be a deal breaker, if I had a stout enough truck.

The owner of the trailer drives a 1-ton diesel. So in his case, he might not need one. But me with my half-ton and probably most of the renters that will be renting this thing will definitely need one.

Dave Pelletier 07-21-2021 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit (Post 5840541)
Chevy 1/2 ton-----30' trailer

No WDH.....No deal

Simple........

Yep, the 1/2 ton is marginal (at best) for that size of trailer even WITH a WDH.


Dave

Dave Pelletier 07-21-2021 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThirdSpaceCO (Post 5840546)
The owner of the trailer drives a 1-ton diesel. So in his case, he might not need one. But me with my half-ton and probably most of the renters that will be renting this thing will definitely need one.

you did the right thing IMO.


Dave

ThirdSpaceCO 07-21-2021 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Pelletier (Post 5840549)
Yep, the 1/2 ton is marginal (at best) for that size of trailer even WITH a WDH.





Dave

A modern-day half-ton can't tow a 30-ft trailer that weighs 6,000 lbs?

My payload is to 2000 lbs. I've seen 3/4 tons with less than that.

move on 07-21-2021 11:01 AM

It's not a question of whether the trailer is safe or not. The question is, is the truck safe or not. You need a heavy duty pickup to tow a 30' trailer. A half ton won't do it, especially at highway speeds. Even if he had a hitch it wouldn't make it safe. You need a truck with more weight.

carybosse 07-21-2021 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit (Post 5840541)
Chevy 1/2 ton-----30' trailer

No WDH.....No deal

Simple........

As someone towing a 32' TT, I would have to agree.

My WD hitch could probably be installed on a rental unit pretty easily. Would most truck owners who do not own a trailer normally have a WD hitch?

The bigger issue, and with a 30' long trailer, might be as big a concern: My sway control requires drilling into the trailer frame. I have this vision of multiple people drilling into the trailer frame for various anti-sway devices and one day the tongue just breaks off the trailer.

Old-Biscuit 07-21-2021 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThirdSpaceCO (Post 5840551)
A modern-day half-ton can't tow a 30-ft trailer that weighs 6,000 lbs?

My payload is to 2000 lbs. I've seen 3/4 tons with less than that.


YES it can WITH properly set up WDH

That 6000# 30' trailer would be the MAX
900# Tongue weight....almost half of the payload
Add in hitch weight...passengers, stuff in cab, stuff in bed etc


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.