iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class B Motorhome Discussions (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f259/)
-   -   Onan Microlite 2.8kw (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f259/onan-microlite-2-8kw-546394.html)

PeteandDeb 07-21-2021 12:04 PM

Onan Microlite 2.8kw

My wife decided she wanted a class B instead of the camper trailer we just bought last year (not comfortable towing or backing ...). She found a 2003 Pleasureway Excel DT and we picked it up yesterday. Of course, this unit was purchased without a generator, and she wants one. On searching, it seems like the Onan Microlite 2.8kw is the usual genset installed.
With all that said, I'm looking for feedback from those with that genset on your experience. Is it worth installing or more trouble than it's worth?
Reason for asking is I see lots of negative comments out there, but we all know that people are more to comment if they're not happy.

Rlum 07-21-2021 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeteandDeb (Post 5840709)
My wife decided she wanted a class B instead of the camper trailer we just bought last year (not comfortable towing or backing ...). She found a 2003 Pleasureway Excel DT and we picked it up yesterday. Of course, this unit was purchased without a generator, and she wants one. On searching, it seems like the Onan Microlite 2.8kw is the usual genset installed.
With all that said, I'm looking for feedback from those with that genset on your experience. Is it worth installing or more trouble than it's worth?
Reason for asking is I see lots of negative comments out there, but we all know that people are more to comment if they're not happy.

I have a 2016 PW lexor TS. We have the Onan 2.8 probably different model. It is loud and vibrates the floor of the van. I would look at the new inverter generator Onan 2800i. I do not know if it will fit where your previous generator was housed but worth a look see. If you have space, you might consider carrying a quiet inverter generator to plug via shore power port? Just some another consideration. It will depend on how you plan on using your van?

gatorb8 07-21-2021 05:43 PM

I have the latest and greatest Onan Inverter 2.8 generator, it is so much quieter and has less vibration than the previous non inverter Onan 2.8 I had in a Promaster, hated it!

If you have a choice, I would also go gas, not propane. Propane tanks get consumed fast and are more difficult to fill. On my 40 gal tank, I can run the genny for 6 days.

Go look at some class B’s with the new 2.8 inverter genny and get an idea for yourself.

Winterbagoal 07-21-2021 05:53 PM

The older units are noisy and finnicky, but the newer ones sound like they may have solved those problems. When it's hot out and you're not plugged in, they do a nice job of supplying power to your high draw appliances, like M/W and A/C.
You could use the space for several hundred amp hours of lithium iron phosphate batteries, and put some panels to charge them on top of your motorhome. Probably more costly than the Onan 2.8Kw generator, but quieter and more energy efficient. Get enough Ah and you might even be able to power your microwave and A/C (but maybe not at the same time) for short periods of time.

604eholston 07-22-2021 04:56 AM

Pete's do Deb
I wouldn't have an RV without a generator. AC snd microwave are essential appliances on my unit. My generator is an older propane unit and It has had some problems requiring expensive repairs but.still it serves the purpose. My roof AC has a heating element which is invaluable in the shoulder seasons, spring and fall, warming up the bedroom on chilly mornings. I understand the newer sets are quieter and run smoother. I am with your wife.

We Be Gone 07-22-2021 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 604eholston (Post 5841541)
Pete's do Deb
I wouldn't have an RV without a generator. AC snd microwave are essential appliances on my unit. My generator is an older propane unit and It has had some problems requiring expensive repairs but.still it serves the purpose. My roof AC has a heating element which is invaluable in the shoulder seasons, spring and fall, warming up the bedroom on chilly mornings. I understand the newer sets are quieter and run smoother. I am with your wife.

You have have just the cat out of the bag with your last sentence! You better hide soon.

Rlum 07-22-2021 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gatorb8 (Post 5841109)
I have the latest and greatest Onan Inverter 2.8 generator, it is so much quieter and has less vibration than the previous non inverter Onan 2.8 I had in a Promaster, hated it!

If you have a choice, I would also go gas, not propane. Propane tanks get consumed fast and are more difficult to fill. On my 40 gal tank, I can run the genny for 6 days.

Go look at some class Bís with the new 2.8 inverter genny and get an idea for yourself.

Did you install yourself? I have 2016 PW lexor TS. The existing Onan gives me about 6 inches of clearance? Do you experience any scrapping of generator box when coming down steeper driveways?

rogerstg 08-17-2021 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeteandDeb (Post 5840709)
this unit was purchased without a generator, and she wants one.

You might first check to see if your B was wired for a genset. Some models/brands built to order exclude the wiring if being sold without one.

jjrbus 09-23-2021 06:13 AM

I would not take an Onan generator if you gave it to me for free! I am looking for a class B and the Onan will be replaced with a Honda 2200. Which brings on some of its own issues. Such as having to go outside to start and stop, not able to run the AC and much else such as microwave. With the Onan just push a button to start and stop, or will it start? Then need a trip to the dealer. Where they mount the Onan on a class b they sometimes need to be removed for service, 3 hours labor at $135 hour.

Keep in mind I do not fish or golf so tinkering is my hobby. I built a frame mounted box on the rear for my Honda with an extended run setup. While not perfect I am happy with it. The genset sits about 4 feet off the ground for easy use, not dragging on ground or backing into something.

If I had unlimited funds I would pay someone to build the rack for the honda on the back!

Rlum 09-23-2021 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjrbus (Post 5924626)
I would not take an Onan generator if you gave it to me for free! I am looking for a class B and the Onan will be replaced with a Honda 2200. Which brings on some of its own issues. Such as having to go outside to start and stop, not able to run the AC and much else such as microwave. With the Onan just push a button to start and stop, or will it start? Then need a trip to the dealer. Where they mount the Onan on a class b they sometimes need to be removed for service, 3 hours labor at $135 hour.

Keep in mind I do not fish or golf so tinkering is my hobby. I built a frame mounted box on the rear for my Honda with an extended run setup. While not perfect I am happy with it. The genset sits about 4 feet off the ground for easy use, not dragging on ground or backing into something.

If I had unlimited funds I would pay someone to build the rack for the honda on the back!

Agreed, Onan is loud and expensive to service. Maybe the new one with inverter and fuel injection is the way to go. I have the old noisy Onan. When boon docking and weather is going over 100F. I will take along small inverter generator to run. I still have the Onan as back up and 2nd source of power. By plugging a portable generator, vibration and noise is moved away from camper. Only issue, generator takes storage space and i power it with propane. I do not like handling/having gas inside the camper.

jjrbus 09-24-2021 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rlum (Post 5925368)
Agreed, Onan is loud and expensive to service. Maybe the new one with inverter and fuel injection is the way to go. I have the old noisy Onan. When boon docking and weather is going over 100F. I will take along small inverter generator to run. I still have the Onan as back up and 2nd source of power. By plugging a portable generator, vibration and noise is moved away from camper. Only issue, generator takes storage space and i power it with propane. I do not like handling/having gas inside the camper.

I had a Honda EV4010 Liquid cooled RV generator I sold with an RV, been kicking myself ever since!