iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f38/)
-   -   Camping in the west, in August?????? (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f38/camping-in-the-west-in-august-546443.html)

Just For Fun 07-21-2021 06:43 PM

Camping in the west, in August??????

August is our typical "Nothing going on this month!!!" And a good time to simply GET THE HELL OUT OF TOWN!!!!!!!:laugh::cool:

But, living in southern CA, our somewhat local options seem to be quickly disappearing!!! Due to the drought conditions and high temperature, fires are ramped throughout CA and AZ. Even OR and WA are experiencing more fires than normal. While this doesn't shut down the entire state, the air conditions - health breathing conditions - are a serious consideration even outside these immediate areas!!!!!!:thumb:

Yes, I do realize that this is a very busy month for families vacationing. But... this is our month off!!!!

OK, so considering that we've most of August to goof-off, but NOT wanting to travel cross-country to hide in nature along a picturesque mountain-lake area, what would your suggestions be?:popcorn: Oh ya, we're NOT into the typical touristy places. Prefer nature, but somewhat close to a town for some local entertainment.:flowers:

Thanks!

Elwood58 07-21-2021 06:51 PM

Northern Nevada and Idaho might be good choices for August. The entire Little Salmon river in Idaho is lined with Big Rig friendly sites along the river. Great Basin area of Nevada is also very nice.

BONUS: Once across the California State Line, fuel will be a lot less.

astrnmrtom 07-21-2021 07:20 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Pinnacles National Park is beautiful IF there are no fires nearby.

I sure understand the air quality issues - and the fires themselves. The first two photos were taken in the morning at the Russian River Thousand Trails, last August. It was like waking up on Mars - the Red Planet. Wow! I took a photo towards the restroom to show it wasn't a camera white balance issue. The second photo was the beginning of the path to the restroom.

Third picture is taken from the town of Winters in July 2020. We were evacuated at 12:30am from a campground just west of town. Ranger pounded on the door and said we had 15 minutes to GET OUT!! As we left, the fire was roaring down the nearby hillside toward the campground. As I unhooked, it was standing in a storm with the noise and the wind, except instead of rain, it was ash falling. The sky above us was glowing brilliant red. Spent the rest of the night in a Church parking lot along with people in their cars as their houses burned. Trucks pulling empty horse trailers were flying by TOWARD the fire. We were lucky our house had wheels.

Just For Fun 07-21-2021 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by astrnmrtom (Post 5841233)
pinnacles national park is beautiful if there are no fires nearby.

I sure understand the air quality issues - and the fires themselves. The first two photos were taken in the morning at the russian river thousand trails, last august. It was like waking up on mars - the red planet. Wow! I took a photo towards the restroom to show it wasn't a camera white balance issue. The second photo was the beginning of the path to the restroom.

Third picture is taken from the town of winters in july 2020. We were evacuated at 12:30am from a campground just west of town. Ranger pounded on the door and said we had 15 minutes to get out!! As we left, the fire was roaring down the nearby hillside toward the campground. As i unhooked, it was standing in a storm with the noise and the wind, except instead of rain, it was ash falling. The sky above us was glowing brilliant red. Spent the rest of the night in a church parking lot along with people in their cars as their houses burned. Trucks pulling empty horse trailers were flying by toward the fire. We were lucky our house had wheels.

incredable!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just For Fun 07-21-2021 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elwood58 (Post 5841198)
Northern Nevada and Idaho might be good choices for August. The entire Little Salmon river in Idaho is lined with Big Rig friendly sites along the river. Great Basin area of Nevada is also very nice.

BONUS: Once across the California State Line, fuel will be a lot less.

Thanks for this info. I'm check these out now.

What about the "Ray Patch Recreational area?" And experience with camping in that area?

profdan 07-22-2021 10:16 AM

How about the Eastern Sierra? Cooler weather at high altitude. But there is no guarantee of clean air -- fires on the west side of the mountains produce smoke on the east side.

mbridinger 07-22-2021 02:37 PM

Anywhere in Northern AZ. All the fires are out, raining every day now.

twogypsies 07-22-2021 04:28 PM

Flagstaff, Show Low, Pinetop, AZ

HarryStone 07-22-2021 08:18 PM

Flagstaff.

Just For Fun 07-23-2021 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twogypsies (Post 5842443)
Flagstaff, Show Low, Pinetop, AZ

Yup! Was thinking about Show Low and Pinetop. I'm checking them out now.

Just For Fun 07-23-2021 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarryStone (Post 5842727)
Flagstaff.

I spent several weeks in Flagstaff area two years ago. Always like that area.

twogypsies 07-23-2021 05:48 PM

With your 45' MH you might want to consider Orchard Ranch RV in Show Low and try to rent an owner's lot. The RV section they have is the pits... just a little parking lot for 20-30 RVs. Owner's lots are nice. Fool Hollow State Park has some big lots.

Jack Klompus 07-24-2021 03:30 PM

Not sure I understand the OP.

AZ fits the bill. The seasonal fires have been doused, and the usual suspect locations for escaping the heat are in full force. It's rained every day here this week, and it is glorious.

Or, flip the script and head to a San Diego ocean side RV park. You will be close to entertainment, and the temp won't get above 73 degrees....

ByeTheWay 07-24-2021 03:38 PM

Grand Canyon North Rim, Forest Lakes