iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   P32 questions (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/p32-questions-546534.html)

Mattsd 07-22-2021 12:55 PM

P32 questions

We have a 2004 Terra we purchased this year and have some questions.
1. Where can we look up specs for the chassis? Suspension Ride height and part replacement. The rear leaves have headed the wrong direction and I'm not sure about the coils.
2. The dealer we purchased it from installed new front air bags and set the pressure at 40 PSI. I've seen on here owners set their pressure anywhere from 35 PSI to 90 PSI. In which way are these adjusted to help with sway when passing?

Thanks Matt

edgray 07-22-2021 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mattsd (Post 5842126)
We have a 2004 Terra we purchased this year and have some questions.
1. Where can we look up specs for the chassis? Suspension Ride height and part replacement. The rear leaves have headed the wrong direction and I'm not sure about the coils.
2. The dealer we purchased it from installed new front air bags and set the pressure at 40 PSI. I've seen on here owners set their pressure anywhere from 35 PSI to 90 PSI. In which way are these adjusted to help with sway when passing?

Thanks Matt

The air bags inside the front coil springs are intended to help determine the front-to back level of the coach. More pressure should help "raise" the front end. I doubt they do much at all to minimize "sway" induced by passing trucks. THAT is most definitely improved by the addition of a "rear trac bar". You can lots of info about that, and other chassis related issues by visiting the Workhorse chassis sub-forum here on iRV2.com

Dutch Star Don 07-22-2021 05:03 PM

I bought a used 2004 Fleetwood Terra 32' in 2005. I got stored in my backyard, which required backing it up a slope. The rear would drag and the easiest fix was to add air bags to the rear leaf springs. I also wanted to level it better side to side. To my surprise those air bags made it handle like an entirely different coach. I set them so the coach was level side to side and about a 1" lift in the rear. I set the front bags to 85 psi and the coach handled well. Keep in mind not all axle sprigs arc downward, some have a reverse arc.

The only issue that we really had was on the 32' model. The black tank was an odd design, where the drain pipe dropped onto an angled shelf where the excrement was suppose to slide about a foot into the main portion of the tank, on the other side of the frame rail. It was ALWAYS backing up, no matter how much water we used. I made some changes to it, that helped, but it was still problematic. Fleetwood set it wasn't an issue they had heard of, but a few years later, offered a recall, after we had sold the coach. It was soooo aggravating, especially after Fleetwood denied there was an issue, we never looked at a Fleetwood product again.

Mark_K5LXP 07-23-2021 07:36 AM

In my travels, I experimented with pressures between zero and 90PSI. I found very little noticeable difference between the two extremes but it did seem a bit "tighter" at full pressure. Since chevy, then workhorse spec'd the chassis with the air bags in place set at 90 for that axle weight, I set them at 90 and leave them there. Part of the experiment was to check ride height. The difference between zero PSI and 90PSI was 5/8". I wouldn't consider that enough to count as a ride height change.

Agree that trac bars ("panhard") are the fix for getting knocked around by passing trucks. "Sway" would be addressed by sway bars, which you should already have. Might be worth a check to see if the bushings for those are shot or just proactively replace them.

After experiencing the issues with my P32 and what it would take to resolve them I find it easier to just live with it. It will never be an air-ride bus and you can throw a lot of money at it trying to get there. It's a delivery truck chassis and if you approach it from the perspective it will ride and drive like one it just makes you appreciate it more when you get to stop.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Mike Finnerty 07-23-2021 02:38 PM

P32 airbags

One thing to keep in mind is the ride height of the front can affect front end alignment. My airbags failed and my two steer tires were ruined before I caught it. Couldn't get the front end with the new tires aligned until I replaced the airbags. When I replaced them I included hoses to the front grill so I could check the air without crawling under the rig.

Gary RVRoamer 07-24-2021 11:45 AM

You need a Workhorse Chassis manual. It covers the all years of the P-series Workhorse and answers questions about air bag pressure and numerous other topics. Download a free copy at https://www.deserttruckservice.com/pd...ssis.guide.pdf

wolfe10 07-24-2021 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Finnerty (Post 5843634)
One thing to keep in mind is the ride height of the front can affect front end alignment. My airbags failed and my two steer tires were ruined before I caught it. Couldn't get the front end with the new tires aligned until I replaced the airbags. When I replaced them I included hoses to the front grill so I could check the air without crawling under the rig.

Correct.

But, I would state it even stronger: Front air bag (inside coil springs) DOES effect both caster and camber on this chassis and can quickly wear tires unevenly if materially out of spec.