iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class A Motorhome Discussions (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/)
-   -   Maryland Drivers - Question re: Class B License pre-trip inspection (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/maryland-drivers-question-re-class-b-license-pre-trip-inspection-547003.html)

Wandering Mcs 07-26-2021 06:56 AM

Maryland Drivers - Question re: Class B License pre-trip inspection

I'm prepping for my non-commercial Class B Motorhome/RV skills test and want to doublecheck the MVA provided info. The knowledge test surprised me with many questions direct from the CDL manual vs. the more limited Motorhome/RV guide. The MVA website has only a 2 page list of basic external and internal checks for the RV pre-trip inspection vs. the MUCH more extensive CDL pre-trip. And it limits test time to 20 minutes vs. 45 for the CDL.

I just want to confirm with someone who has taken the Maryland test that the guide (https://mva.maryland.gov/Documents/M...trip-Guide.pdf) is accurate for an RV non-commercial class B skills test.

Thanks!

hayward3411 07-26-2021 06:57 AM

Following,

So how do I check the lug nuts with wheel covers on all the wheels. Do I remove them prior to testing?

bluefishgary 07-26-2021 02:54 PM

I had a Maryland A cdl with all endorsement, but when
I retired 3 years ago I converted to Class A.
Now this spring a good friend wanted to get the Class A
So he took test passes, Now for fun part, go to the MVA
Test you must take someone with a license equal to or greater than what you want. They did check my license
At MVA
He had a lady tester she was very nice, and knows what she was doing. Most fail on pre trip
He has a F 450 so we did take hubcap off, but if there on
I do not think its a problem. You must take truck and trailer
With you .paperwork all

Gary A

Massparanoia 07-27-2021 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wandering Mcs (Post 5846667)
I'm prepping for my non-commercial Class B Motorhome/RV skills test and want to doublecheck the MVA provided info. The knowledge test surprised me with many questions direct from the CDL manual vs. the more limited Motorhome/RV guide. The MVA website has only a 2 page list of basic external and internal checks for the RV pre-trip inspection vs. the MUCH more extensive CDL pre-trip. And it limits test time to 20 minutes vs. 45 for the CDL.

I just want to confirm with someone who has taken the Maryland test that the guide (https://mva.maryland.gov/Documents/M...trip-Guide.pdf) is accurate for an RV non-commercial class B skills test.

Thanks!

Take all the wheel covers off before you drive it to the test. Make sure you know how to test the air brakes.

anand 07-27-2021 08:14 PM

I just did this 3 months ago at the Cumberland MD MVA. It is literally by the MVA RV book. You do not need to remove lugs, etc. you need to show that you know where they are and that they look fine to the eye. My inspection took about 15 mins I think I missed checking the wiper operation but other than that I just went through the list by memory. 5 mile drive. And 100 straight back up and 100 ft to a blind side box (5 mins to do each and you get 2 pull ups).

PM me if you have questions.

flyboy013 07-28-2021 02:39 AM

My wife and I did our test in Waldorf about 3 years ago. Ours was consistent with what “anand” stated. Just needed to point out what you are checking for and did not need to repeat any items. For instance, I started at the entrance door and walked around the coach and only described the lug nuts, tire, and rim check for the front passenger tire.

There was a new examiner when my wife took the test and they started asking her questions, such as tire depth requirements on front versus back and she shut them down by telling them it wasn’t part of the RV checklist. I would have a copy of the checklist handy, just in case.

Wandering Mcs 08-02-2021 11:46 AM

Closing the loop on this. I just got back from my skills test and am now legal to drive my RV. During pre-trip I did not remove my lug covers but explained what I was looking for (rust streaks or gaps) to see if any might be loose. Know your air brake test procedure and don’t forget that the conclusion of air brake test is rebuilding the pressure “until the cutoff regulator sneezes”. The parking lot portion of the skills test was dirt simple; back up straight, then back up offset to a right lane and don’t touch any cones. Set parking brake every time you stop. The street portion of the test in Frederick had me in interstates, rural roads, railroad track, city street and industrial areas. Use blinker religiously, stop completely, know what lane to turn from, and watch all street signs to be ready for a quiz. Ie. What sign did we just pass? “A 3mph speed limit sign. Know your coaches height and know the height of unmarked overpasses “14-6 in Maryland”. Know your rigs Gross vehicle weight and bridge limits as well. He drilled me on an simulated emergency stop; signs, then flashers, don’t block any driveways, apply parking brake, and know where triangles should be placed. All told - there’s not too much too this and I feel better about our drive to Wisconsin this week knowing I’m now legal. Drive safe ya’all
- Mark

hayward3411 08-02-2021 04:27 PM

Thank's for the follow up Mark. It's always good to hear this information from someone that completed the test.