iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Class C Motorhome Discussions (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f87/)
-   -   Question about EVAP Generators. (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f87/question-about-evap-generators-547258.html)

louieland 07-27-2021 05:15 PM

Question about EVAP Generators.

I'm looking at purchasing an EVAP Onan 4K. My generator guy says I'll have vapors build up and should switch out carburetors to a non evap. carb. When I'm parked and running the generator in my class C I don't want a bunch of fuel vapors floating up into the coach. Thoughts? I've read elsewhere since it runs off the main gas tank you just plug or don't use the evap line? I need to get educated on this stuff please. Thank you.

donr103 07-27-2021 05:23 PM

I would try it first.. then spend money to change.. fuel vapors lay down on the ground.. to in too low a level to ignite.. even if you are holding a torch.. under coach.. gen fan moves so much air you never smell it.. mine is 21yrs old non evap and you don't smell it.. are you installing yourself ? Oh welcome to IRV2.. and keep us posted..

louieland 07-27-2021 10:52 PM

Thank you for the reply. I am having a generator shop do the install. It's a small shop, but the owner has been repairing generators for decades so I feel like he knows his stuff. He's helped me out over the years with various generators and when I told him all the new generators are EVAP he didn't think you could install them on a class C. He thought they were only for trailers with a dedicated fuel tank. But the vendor and other forums are telling me EVAPS are fine for class C's and you just don't use the EVAP line? The shop isn't charging me to switch out the EVAP carb with a non-EVAP carb, but just confused why I would need to do that. He just kept saying there will be vapors escaping from the EVAP line? IDK maybe once he sees it it will make more sense to him. I just don't know enough about this stuff.

THenne1713 07-28-2021 10:58 PM

Issue should be addressed in INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS, Probably download and read yourself?

THenne1713 07-29-2021 10:04 PM

From what I read, a MH should run a NON-EVAP Gen, unless GEN running different fuel, as MH engine system does the fuel tank vapor recovery? 5th wheels w/ onboard GEN need EVAP for fuel tank vapors, unless LPG.

louieland 07-29-2021 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THenne1713 (Post 5852577)
From what I read, a MH should run a NON-EVAP Gen, unless GEN running different fuel, as MH engine system does the fuel tank vapor recovery? 5th wheels w/ onboard GEN need EVAP for fuel tank vapors, unless LPG.

The Onan 4K non EVAP are discontinued. The only new 4Kís are EVAP so they must be able to work and run safely on a motor homeÖI hope. Otherwise all us Class C people have to buy used non-EVAP generators? Is anyone out there running a EVAP on a Class A, B or C that runs off the vehicles gas tank? The vendors that sell the EVAPS say itís fine. They say the new ones are designed to work in a trailer or a Coach RV, but my generator guy seems genuinely puzzled. He is telling me he has never installed an EVAP in a RV before because by design they are meant to have a dedicated fuel source like what the set up would be in a trailer. IDK hopefully this works. Itís gonna be here in a week.

sibe 07-30-2021 04:58 AM

it has been covered in other posts here... you can leave that vent capped..
The one I did I had put a vent cap on it that breathes, no critteres or water.. looped the hose, up out of the way..
In a non evap the carb has an open air vent to the bowl that no one sees or cares about... the evap just routes this to a canister,.. that you can add but IMO it is so little vapor etc..