iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   iRV2.com General Discussion (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/)
-   -   Certified RV tech (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/certified-rv-tech-547332.html)

soon2befree 07-28-2021 08:45 AM

Certified RV tech

If you were in a campground and needed a repair would you use a tech certified by texas tech school who was camped in same campground and pay normal fees?

530ktm 07-28-2021 08:49 AM

Yes I would pay the fees. The campground is a separate entity from a repair person. Why would you think it should be any different?

MSHappyCampers 07-28-2021 08:53 AM

I would ask the campground management and check with a few folks camping there about the tech.

Bobby F 07-28-2021 08:57 AM

A certified tech who also enjoys RVs and uses them for his own pleasure? Yep.

propchef 07-28-2021 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soon2befree (Post 5849993)
If you were in a campground and needed a repair would you use a tech certified by texas tech school who was camped in same campground and pay normal fees?

Why wouldn't you?

Ljwt330 07-28-2021 11:06 AM

Boy, this post raises a lot of questions due to lack of detail and intent.

The first question, what is the value of a Texas Tech Certification? I honestly don't know and I don't know if it is relevant to an RV tech. One would need to ask about the kind of certification and if it applies to your needs in an RV.

If the tech is qualified to work on your RV, what does being in the campground have to do with anything? If nothing else, it is certainly a convenience/coincidence to you.

Finally, if the tech is qualified, why would you not pay his normal fee? This is assuming his normal fee does not include a percentage charge for an RV company that he usually works for and which usually pays him. If he is independent, he still has to pay for his tools, insurance, shop (if he has one), and time, regardless if he is camping.

If you met a lawyer while camping and needed him to draw up or give his opinion on formal legal documents, would you not pay him his hourly rate?

RobbieH 07-28-2021 11:11 AM

Where are you camped? I can recommend a very good RV tech in the Hill Country (Fredricksburg, Kerrville, and maybe as far as San Antonio and Austin)

Unicorn Driver 07-28-2021 11:53 AM

I would.

scenic route 07-29-2021 02:21 PM

CG owners/managers are a great resource for finding good mobile RV repairers...I've used their advice more than a few times.

dizcom 07-29-2021 02:33 PM

I suppose it depends on what needed repairing. Can you give a little more context? I don't see me ever getting a repair in a campground for most things -- I would want to wait until I got home if I could -- but I can see where it might come in handy. What did you have in mind?

Old-Biscuit 07-29-2021 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dizcom (Post 5851825)
I suppose it depends on what needed repairing. Can you give a little more context? I don't see me ever getting a repair in a campground for most things -- I would want to wait until I got home if I could -- but I can see where it might come in handy. What did you have in mind?

Had Mobile Tech do the Dometic Fridge Recall Mod in a CG
*Warranty

Had Mobile Tech replace slide out gear assembly in CG

Had Mobile Tech replace landing gear in CG
*Warranty

Had Mobile Tech replace ATS in CG
*Warranty
Had Mobile Tech 'help me' do a Manual Transfer Switch cause the New Replacement ATS was bad right out of the box
**Paid him myself

Mobile Techs are a good resource
CG Staff are good resource to find Mobile Techs

Theunz 07-29-2021 07:44 PM

What normal fees, mobile tech fees? Dealer fees? Is he just moonlighting or does he run a mobile business? Is he licensed and bonded? What is your recourse if he messes something up? How complicated is the job? What are your other options? And most importantly, how bad do you need it done? If he is moonlighting then you can bet he is not insured and if he causes expensive damage to your rig then your chances of being compensated are low. Therefore I would expect at least a 25% discount off a dealer or mobile tech’s fee. He has none of the overhead of the others.