iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f25/)
-   -   Steering Thing-a-mabob (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f25/steering-thing-a-mabob-547558.html)

TriMoot 07-29-2021 06:58 PM

Steering Thing-a-mabob

2 Attachment(s)
Okay folks, need some help in figuring out what this is called so I can get a quote on getting it fixed....unless you think it's something I can do.

Here's the pic: I'm guessing I need to replace that boot and of course grease the entire chassis. I did a quick gander at the Spartan sticky links, but didn't quickly find a diagram of where and what to grease....any help is appreciated.

2005 Essex 4502 - K2 Spartan Chassis

TIA

vyndance 07-29-2021 07:02 PM

That's a drag link end. Grease it then grab it with a large pair of channel locks and see if you see any play. If you have a helper have them rock the wheel and look for play.

Flanz 07-29-2021 08:24 PM

Why not call Spartan and get a cost from them? They perform three axle alignments all the time on the K3 chassis with a steerable tag all the time.

While having our yearly maintenance performed, they were doing a steerable tag on a K2 and K3 chassis while we waited.

TriMoot 07-29-2021 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vyndance (Post 5852308)
That's a drag link end. Grease it then grab it with a large pair of channel locks and see if you see any play. If you have a helper have them rock the wheel and look for play.

Is it something the average owner can do on his own? I realize I would need some massive tools in order to get that replaced but it doesn’t look like rocket science.

TriMoot 07-29-2021 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flanz (Post 5852441)
Why not call Spartan and get a cost from them? They perform three axle alignments all the time on the K3 chassis with a steerable tag all the time.

While having our yearly maintenance performed, they were doing a steerable tag on a K2 and K3 chassis while we waited.

So do I call my local Spartan chassis repair shop? And if so do I tell them it’s a drag link per the other gentleman‘s answer to me?

It almost looks doable as long as you have big enough tools to handle it I’m just curious if anybody’s done that before on the rig the size?

Ray,IN 07-30-2021 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TriMoot (Post 5852628)
Is it something the average owner can do on his own? I realize I would need some massive tools in order to get that replaced but it doesn’t look like rocket science.

The instructions are in The Reyco-Granning front end PDF. You're right is isn't rocket science. The instructions specifically state "do not use a pickle fork" to remove the tapered bolt, but some here reported using the fork is ok unless you are reusing the bolt.

wolfe10 07-30-2021 08:09 PM

Yes, it is common for the grease boot to fail long before the joint itself fails.

Many of us choose to NOT replace it until there is play in it-- merely grease more often.

EASY to check. Engine off, have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth while you look for any play in the joint (either end). While there, check the rest of the steering linkages (tie-rod) for play.

5 minute job and no tools needed. You don't even have to crawl under to see movement in one component that does not more the "next" component the same amount.