iRV2 Forums

iRV2 Forums (https://www.irv2.com/forums/)
-   Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f45/)
-   -   GMC Yukon (https://www.irv2.com/forums/f45/gmc-yukon-547678.html)

Ted Lambert 07-30-2021 06:30 PM

GMC Yukon

Anybody tow with a 2020 GMC Yukon?
Any year yukon?
If so I would like to hear what you tow.
Thank you.

NHRA225 07-30-2021 06:49 PM

I towed with my 2015 GMC Denali- 28ft Enclosed Trailer-approx. (7500lbs) 1500 miles-From Indy to Upper Minnesota to deliver a Car.
Towed surprisingly Well- Did 65 and 70 both ways-Brake controller really works great.

tpaul 07-30-2021 07:22 PM

I tow a 24ft, relatively tongue heavy trailer with our 2019 Yukon Denali 6.2L. Does pretty well. Several trips to each coast on Interstate and in high winds. Does pretty well and of course very comfortable inside. But I doubt that I would try anything longer or heavier. We did change out the P rated tires to LT and that helped.

Ted Lambert 07-31-2021 11:37 AM

That sounds great I might bite on a new Yukon
Been shopping around but am going to take my time.
I have 30ft and have been consistently under 7000ib tow weight. So I would think I would be ok.
Thanks for the replies!:thumb:

carybosse 08-02-2021 07:36 AM

Consider the Yukon XL model - not sure how the specs differ from the Yukon, but the added length may make for a more stable platform to tow from.

Yukon = Tahoe
Yukon XL = Suburban

Ted Lambert 08-02-2021 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carybosse (Post 5857035)
Consider the Yukon XL model - not sure how the specs differ from the Yukon, but the added length may make for a more stable platform to tow from.

Yukon = Tahoe
Yukon XL = Suburban

Yes I agree. I was talking to a fellow who tows a 30ft TT. And he agreed that the longer wheelbase he might have considered for exactly the reasons you state. However he needed the shorter WB.
My reason for wanting the shorter Yukon is parking at our Condo is not great and I just want to make it easier to park. I have a Sierra full size truck long wheelbase and parking in the city can be a pain. We have only one parking stall. If I could get another stall it would be a no brainer I would get a smaller vehicle.
But your point is well taken and something I will be looking at closely.

tpaul 08-02-2021 01:22 PM

X2 longer wheelbase for a 30 ft trailer

xc-mark 08-03-2021 04:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ted Lambert (Post 5857347)
Yes I agree. I was talking to a fellow who tows a 30ft TT. And he agreed that the longer wheelbase he might have considered for exactly the reasons you state. However he needed the shorter WB.
My reason for wanting the shorter Yukon is parking at our Condo is not great and I just want to make it easier to park. I have a Sierra full size truck long wheelbase and parking in the city can be a pain. We have only one parking stall. If I could get another stall it would be a no brainer I would get a smaller vehicle.
But your point is well taken and something I will be looking at closely.

The XL is the same size wheel base as a regular cab 8' bed truck. It's shorter then a crew cab 6' bed truck.

Ted Lambert 08-05-2021 11:38 AM

For the amount of towing I do I won't go with the XL. Although I do agree handling would not be as good.
I don't have much choice as I have to go with the shorter wheelbase.
I met a fellow with a Yukon who tows a 30ft trailer for the past 5 years and has not had any problems.

tpaul 08-05-2021 06:26 PM

"I met a fellow with a Yukon who tows a 30ft trailer for the past 5 years and has not had any problems."

A 30ft.? No problems? I'm skeptical.

str8shuutr45 08-08-2021 07:44 AM

I just traded a ‘20 GMC Yukon Denali XL w/18K mi for a ‘21 RAM 2500 diesel. We own a Forrest River Vibe 25RK and found that even using an Equal-I-Zer WD hitch, we had sway at over 50 MPH. I tried everything I could think of to move gear around. I think the problem was 2 fold - too much hitch weight (my hitch weight, measured using a hitch weight scale, was 900#)and too heavy a rear end as the rear kitchen puts a lot of weight on the rear end of the TT. I never travel with water in my tanks so that wasn’t an issue either. Due to the low GCVW of the Yukon XL, we decided to pack very lightly choosing to go grocery shopping after arriving at the campsite. So my recommendation is to look very closely at the numbers of your Yukon. The short wheel base may give you issues too. My Yukon XL had a max tow weight of 7900#! The Denali have way too many electric motors on board and other things that add to creature comfort but subtract from GVW.

Good luck!

tuffr2 08-08-2021 08:43 AM

You don't think wheelbase was your problem because I do.

str8shuutr45 08-09-2021 04:21 AM

I’m not sure what the problem was but wheelbase definitely could have been the culprit. It’s moot now, thankfully.